Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

You can't afford window dressing.

DRF is giving you the truth. A firm has been hired, the next coach will earn around a mil.

There is no cloak and dagger shit here. And there doesn't need to be.

You are going to be very disappointed. And you are very wrong. 

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

I didn’t think Menzies was going to be fired.  Wrong about.  I don’t think they’ll get a great coach.  Hopefully, I’m wrong.

Perfect, PH. 

Please keep that same energy.

•  

From everything I've been told, I think he is locked into UNLV Lori...FWIW

1 reply3 likes

FV_XGLTU_bigger.jpgJoe Arrigo @joearrigo

With the people that’s willing to pay for him, I don’t think that’s the case w/ Matta. I think this has been in the works for quite some time...I know how long I’ve known and it’s been more than 3 weeks

6:09 PM - 15 Mar 2019

Here's the thing with DRF?  She kinda has a rep as being competent but we really don't know.  She talks a lot about how she approaches things but it almost sounds like she's reading books that tell her "this is step 1...this is step 2...then you do this" 

I'm not sure about her.  Something feels off...  

7 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

This Matta thing is gonna fall through. In typical UNLV fashion

5 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I didn’t think Menzies was going to be fired.  Wrong about.  I don’t think they’ll get a great coach.  Hopefully, I’m wrong.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Here's the thing with DRF?  She kinda has a rep as being competent but we really don't know.  She talks a lot about how she approaches things but it almost sounds like she's reading books that tell her "this is step 1...this is step 2...then you do this" 

I'm not sure about her.  Something feels off...  

2 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I’ll believe Thad Matta when I see it.  I wanna see how much he gets paid.

Always with the negative waves.

Just now, toonkee said:

If Matta comes here it's because it's the best he can do.  Think about that.

Maybe not - He's made $$ from the Ohio State gig and might just want to get back into coaching, not deal with a upper level conference and go to a place he can win with facilities and get paid a good amount - That's UNLV 

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

If Matta comes here it's because it's the best he can do.  Think about that.

I dont understand your position. Thad is old enough to know that UNLV is a sleeping giant.

Coach K has called it as much.

Its just odd conversing with UNLV fans nowadays because people seem to think that Kruger is the ceiling of this program, and its not.

There is no excuse to not be a perennial winner and ranked program in Vegas. 

People older than 37, that grew up here know this.

Just now, quickdraw said:

How much is enough and what is quality of life worth. Those are the questions that successful people start asking themselves after they have made a boatload of money.

Agree - Matta's been there done that with P5's - So now he can settle in at a UNLV which has everything he needs to be successful and he doesn't have to play 4 to 5 ranked teama in conference play 

Massimino & Kruger say the same thing in UNLV - That's not a knock on UNLV, it's a reality that UNLV can draw legit coaches

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Agree - Matta's been there done that with P5's - So now he can settle in at a UNLV which has everything he needs to be successful and he doesn't have to play 4 to 5 ranked teama in conference play 

Massimino & Kruger say the same thing in UNLV - That's not a knock on UNLV, it's a reality that UNLV can draw legit coaches

I know people hate all things Dave Rice, but the major thing that he and Bayno did here was show that a competent coach and staff can recruit here at the highest level, post Tark.

Dave put his stamp on the program in a positive way with that, and it was very recent. 

Coaches can point to that as affirmation that they too can get it done here. 

UNLV is not a mid major program.

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

I dont understand your position. Thad is old enough to know that UNLV is a sleeping giant.

Coach K has called it as much.

Its just odd conversing with UNLV fans nowadays because people seem to think that Kruger is the ceiling of this program, and its not.

There is no excuse to not be a perennial winner and ranked program in Vegas. 

People older than 37, that grew up here know this.

My friend, I'm older than 37. I have a UNLV license plate that references the glory days. I was born here. I've probably missed 3 home games in the last 7 years. I don't think Kruger is the ceiling.  I think our modern counterpart is Gonzaga and I think that's our ceiling.  But like i said, it will take a special kind of coach, like Few or Tark, to realize those days again and those guys are hard to come across.  We didn't have the money in CBB or CFB back then like we do now. 

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

I know people hate all things Dave Rice, but the major thing that he and Bayno did here was show that a competent coach and staff can recruit here at the highest level, post Tark.

Dave put his stamp on the program in a positive way with that, and it was very recent. 

Coaches can point to that as affirmation that they too can get it done here. 

UNLV is not a mid major program.

Rice & recruiting to UNLV where is best legacy and it helped Menzies land McCoy probably............and keeping that fresh in recruits minds could have played into this move