Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

2 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Serious question: Is there any concern that firing Menzies would have a negative impact on gathering the interest of future head coaching candidates? Dave Rice was fired midseason. That could be followed up by firing Menzies after only his 3rd season but really only his 2nd as his first was destined to be a disaster once he was hired as late as he was. Could that make candidates weary of taking the UNLV job? 

Not really. Menzies was really just a stopgap/band-aid after that debacle. No one expected him to be a long-term solution.

1 minute ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Serious question: Is there any concern that firing Menzies would have a negative impact on gathering the interest of future head coaching candidates? Dave Rice was fired midseason. That could be followed up by firing Menzies after only his 3rd season but really only his 2nd as his first was destined to be a disaster once he was hired as late as he was. Could that make candidates weary of taking the UNLV job? 

Thinking people would have some concern about creating an aura of unrealistic time periods for coaches at UNLV - It's an absolute concern 

7 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

No. 

Just now, blind_squirrel54 said:

Even Menzies? Also, apologies, but I fail to see how that is relevant to the question I asked.

I don't know, I can't speak for him, but the fanbase didn't see him as a long-term coach. Everyone gave up on him early.

16 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Pretty common for an SD to meet with the coach right after a season concludes - It's a little past noon now, maybe this will be a Friday afternoon news dump like happens in politics when there's bad news :shrug:

I'm still firmly in the thinking that DRF meets with Menzies (as she might have today) and they go over the good the bad the ugly and assess what needs to change in the next 12 months to address concerns............thinking Menzies gets the same message Sanchez received......that Menzies needs to step it up next season and even cut some of the dead wood on the roster to free up scholarships for impact recruits and even transfers that can bring UNLV closer to the NCAA's and for sure the NIT next season.

Menzies as of right now as two years left on his contract..........he's heading into the next to last year of his contract so next season will be the season that determines Menzies fate.........that way she can cut him loose with only a 1 year buyout and Menzies gets the fair chance to know he's got to improve .......and it also removes the "lame duck coach" factor that can affect recruiting ( the old "that coach only has 1 year left" that other schools can use against UNLV ) .

This also has DRF on record has not knee-jerking hires and fires based on whims and short term evaluations (which wouldn't be a good reputation for UNLV) ........DRF has both coaches on notice in the same academic year (2019-20) where if they perform thet get more time and if they don't DRF is in position to bring in her coaches.

Im not sure its a good idea to potentially have to fire both coaches in the same year. 

I doubt she gets into, or even knows much about roster construction, dead weight etc. Remember shes been touting the 11 freshmen and sophomores line that has come directly from the coaching staff. Even though MM plays 2 sr and a jr.

The one reason I think she may actually make a move is that she already made a move on Sanchez, but was blocked. She might be itching to get one of her people in. 

Maybe not. Perhaps she's being genuine with her support for MM. I think he's probably back but seems like a true toss up.

23 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Thinking people would have some concern about creating an aura of unrealistic time periods for coaches at UNLV - It's an absolute concern 

It was a thought I had. Could the "fraternity of coaches" view UNLV as unfriendly to coaches? Though, there is also a limited number of head coaching opportunities so I could see it as being something that is said to deter candidates but actually doesn't. With facilities, trandition, fanbase, etc. UNLV will probably still be seen as a good job. Even if it was viewed as a place where head coaches may not get a fair shake.

Just now, qwelish said:

Im not sure its a good idea to potentially have to fire both coaches in the same year. 

I doubt she gets into, or even knows much about roster construction, dead weight etc. Remember shes been touting the 11 freshmen and sophomores line that has come directly from the coaching staff. Even though MM plays 2 sr and a jr.

The one reason I think she may actually make a move is that she already made a move on Sanchez, but was blocked. She might be itching to get one of her people in. 

Maybe not. Perhaps she's being genuine with her support for MM. I think he's probably back but seems like a true toss up.

I think anyone with any perspective might see that there's some current roster players that probably should be cut loose, just for freeing up available scholarships.

She can still see that there is a core of players with two more coming in that will still be majority freshmen and sophomores............if Menzies has a free scholarship or three for perhaps a transfer of Juco to shore up some positions 

22 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Let's just say I bet Menzies is wishing he didn't take this job.

Unrealistic fans.

Twitter propaganda hitting news across the country.

Unnecessary stress on top of trying to do your job.

LOL anyone thinking otherwise is still trapped in that 1990 Championship box.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

3 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

It was a thought I had. Could the "fraternity of coaches" view UNLV as unfriendly to coaches? Though, there is also a limited number of head coaching opportunities so I could see it as being something that is said to deter candidates but actually doesn't. 

Nebraska sort of did a quick trigger fire with Frank Solich who was a year or so removed from playing for the national title and after that it took Nebraska a few coaching changes and they still aren't close to where Solich had the program..........now Nebraska has gone to former home state hero / player Scott Frost - But it's been out there that the Nebraska FB program won't wait .................that might be fine for a power FB program rolling in deep $$$$..............but not sure UNLV wants to get into that mode which would reek of desperation.........and we are seeing some of that desperation right now with the fervor to cut Menzies loose for pretty much any warm body 

So after coming out that Menzies would be toast by Sunday, this poll asks if Menzies will be around by April 1st !!!  :thumbsup:

And for all his inside information he still has no idea who the next coach will be :rotflmfao:

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Nebraska sort of did a quick trigger fire with Frank Solich who was a year or so removed from playing for the national title and after that it took Nebraska a few coaching changes and they still aren't close to where Solich had the program..........now Nebraska has gone to former home state hero / player Scott Frost - But it's been out there that the Nebraska FB program won't wait .................that might be fine for a power FB program rolling in deep $$$$..............but not sure UNLV wants to get into that mode which would reek of desperation.........and we are seeing some of that desperation right now with the fervor to cut Menzies loose for pretty much any warm body 

See I don't agree that people want to see Menzies fired for any warm body.  That is just not true.  If you can pick up a coach like Matta or Alford, then by all means get rid of Menzies.  But if not, then you let him come back.  No need to burn the place down without having a new coach in place.  That is why we are in the position we are right now. 

1 minute ago, Poster17 said:

See I don't agree that people want to see Menzies fired for any warm body.  That is just not true.  If you can pick up a coach like Matta or Alford, then by all means get rid of Menzies.  But if not, then you let him come back.  No need to burn the place down without having a new coach in place.  That is why we are in the position we are right now. 

I agree..........but look at some of the teeth gnashing going on and the clueless really just want Menzies gone with no idea who might, could or would take over

I've said since day one of the "fire Menzies" debates, that unless there's an absolute can't miss home run hire, firing Menzies is just creating a revolving door at UNLV that won't help anything going forward 

4 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Some are in the same mindset 

Sorry guys, my sources are saying MM will be retained as UNLV head bball coach.

Rick Pitino said why in the hell would I coach in the MW, I'm f'ing Rick Pitino I don't need this sh*t. 

Thad Matta said his foot still hurts.