Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

You forgot to add "according to sources."

Add those words and the fan base nuts their Hanes. Even if you are some twitter geek.

Fixed 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I havent heard anything new. 

Not sure that I will. People I know have been pretty adamant that Marvs been a goner since bucknell, and have not wavered since.

Marv also appeared, to me at least, to be pretty despondent prior to the suds game.

Like a dead man walking.

8 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I havent heard anything new. 

Not sure that I will. People I know have been pretty adamant that Marvs been a goner since bucknell, and have not wavered since.

Marv also appeared, to me at least, to be pretty despondent prior to the suds game.

Like a dead man walking.

Any AD, UNLV official or booster that would make a coaching decision based on a game at that point in the season is an IDIOT of epic proportions 

17 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Any AD, UNLV official or booster that would make a coaching decision based on a game at that point in the season is an IDIOT of epic proportions 

Probably, but the decisions to hire Sanchez, fire Dave Rice mid-season and to retain Sanchez were all prompted by boosters.

So however you feel about it, you cannot deny that this is a real thing at UNLV.

DRF had fired Sanchez, but booster money and influence prevented her from hiring her guy. This is why ive repeatedly stated that she cannot make these decisions in a vaccum.

I agree with @Ernie Baer

If Marvin is still a Rebel on Sunday, he's yours for at least another season.

Even though I don't think Marvin is your long term solution, those who say this is really only his second season and he should get another year, have a valid argument.

Unless DRF has a home run hire lined up, he might be safe.

I'm not buying the booster money, BS.  Despite assurances from "connected" Rebel posters, it wasn't there for Kruger, it wasn't there to get a good replacement, or for his replacement's replacement. No reason to think it's there now.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree with @Ernie Baer

Even though I don't think Marvin is your long term solution, those who say this is really only his second season and he should get another year, have a valid argument.

I'm not buying the booster money, BS.  Despite assurances from "connected" Rebel posters, it wasn't there for Kruger, it wasn't there for his replacement, or for his replacement's replacement.

There is no magic in Sunday. Its arbitrary.

If there is no booster money, how was DRF going to pay Jim Mora almost 2 mil per year and Mick Cronin 3 mil per year by TKM?

Youre not making any sense.

8 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree with @Ernie Baer

I'm not buying the booster money, BS.  Despite assurances from "connected" Rebel posters, it wasn't there for Kruger, it wasn't there to get a good replacement, or for his replacement's replacement. No reason to think it's there now.

Highly, highly doubt he makes it to Sunday.

Just now, Amaru523 said:

I will make an avatar bet with you that he does. Must keep avatar through NCAA champ game.

15 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree with @Ernie Baer

I'm firmly in the "I will believe it when I see it" camp...........and Ernie is correct the longer Menzies has a job come Sunday and after the less chance that the supposed great hire is real - Because if he was real and he isn't currently employed there is NO point in waiting until late March or after the NCAA's in early April. You make the move sooner than later so the new messiah can get out there on recruits.

If there is a delay until after the NCAA's then odds are the guy is shopping offers & UNLV could be left at the altar like happened THREE times right after Dave Rice's last season.

And if there's a delay because the new whiz bang can't miss hire ........maybe it's because the guy is still coaching Norfolk St, Iona, Old Dominion, Sam Houston St and no move will be made until after his team is eliminated from the NCAAT 

3 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Of course a player is gonna say and think that. What's he gonna say, "we're gonna continue to suck in the future."

Maybe he means the future is bright with a new coach, and Marv's stress-free future at UC Riverside will be bright for him.

It'll be as an assistant.  Unless you think UCR's coach is gone...

4 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

Coaches deserve 4.  Especially with improvement from year to year.  Granted he will be considered the worst coach in Unlv history when he is eventually fired.  But still.   1 more year.  1 more year. 

6 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I will make an avatar bet with you that he does. Must keep avatar through NCAA champ game.

That's 75 hours of tension !!! 

3 Hours left in Thursday

24 hrs in Friday

24 hrs in Saturday

24 hrs in Sunday

No move by midnight Sunday / Monday you cash the avi 

3 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

You're right dude.

Hire Joe Pasternack.

We gonna be lit next year.....

Why leave paradise for the Vegas mess?  His team will be better next year and he can parlay that into a job in a power conference.

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

Why leave paradise for the Vegas mess?  His team will be better next year and he can parlay that into a job in a power conference.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Not because I think he's the worst coach ever. He just won't have the time to do it.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

2 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

He's being sarcastic, he's been beating that Pasternick angle into the ground. He was one of Rice's biggest critics so i'm surprised he's such a superfan of Mediocre Marv.

I actually agree with him on this one tho... if we bring in another mid-major midget might as well just keep Marv for another mediocre year rather than hitting reset again.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

20 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

He's being sarcastic, he's been beating that Pasternick angle into the ground. He was one of Rice's biggest critics so i'm surprised he's such a superfan of Mediocre Marv.

I actually agree with him on this one tho... if we bring in another mid-major midget might as well just keep Marv for another mediocre year rather than hitting reset again.

I don't think he's just another "mid-major midget."  UCSB was 6-22 the year before he arrived.  Back to back 20+ win seasons in his first two years there and he's brought in some legit recruits and transfers.  They're only going to improve.  It's true the schedule this year sucked, five Big Sky opponents say as much.  I expect next year's will be stronger, and a better indicator of his coaching acumen.