Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

#4 SDSU VS #5 UNLV - MWC Tournament

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

Guess he didn’t deserve a second chance. 

You and I both know with what he did there was no coming back. Even people who wasn’t connected to the program know what really happened. I’m sure Menzies would have loved to keep him. But come on...

One last thing, it doesn't take time to build.  Muss did it in one year.  Our former coach who lasted all of 3 weeks did it at Texas Tech in one year.  The idea that it takes time in today's college basketball is ludacris.  Especially when the MWC is at the lowest point it's ever been.  Hey, Menzies did get us to a 4th place finish.  That is improvement no doubt, but a fourth place finish if this league was any good would put you on the bubble.  We can't even sniff the CBI.  Wins and loses are relative to the quality of the conference.  They can't be taken as the end all be all of a teams true ability.  Let us not forget this team lost to LMU, Valpo, Indiana St., and Bucknell in that brutal non-conference schedule.  

2 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You mean the five freshman he brought in with, like, 4 hours to recruit?

Like I said, cut the man some slack. It takes time to build a program, and Marv has had two full recruiting classes and whatever you want to call the 16 minutes he had to recruit in Y1.

There’s zero production from those 5 he brought in. Why bring them in? There were transfers and juco guys to be had. 

2 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

One last thing, it doesn't take time to build.  Muss did it in one year.  Our former coach who lasted all of 3 weeks did it at Texas Tech in one year.  The idea that it takes time in today's college basketball is ludacris.  Especially when the MWC is at the lowest point it's ever been.  Hey, Menzies did get us to a 4th place finish.  That is improvement no doubt, but a fourth place finish if this league was any good would put you on the bubble.  We can't even sniff the CBI.  Wins and loses are relative to the quality of the conference.  They can't be taken as the end all be all of a teams true ability.  Let us not forget this team lost to LMU, Valpo, Indiana St., and Bucknell in that brutal non-conference schedule.  

Utah states coach seemed to be able to turn things around right away, and they may be a younger team than us

Just now, Cheek Patch said:

Utah states coach seem to be able to turn things around right away and they may be a younger team than us

Exactly.  The line that he needs time to build is a built-in excuse which doesn't cut it anymore.  

40 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

You sound like one of the Las Vegas media guys that are desperately trying to save Marv right now.

+4 wins, BUT 0-7 vs the top 4 teams with the losses by an average of about 14 points. Just like Poster17 said, the MW is statistically the worst its ever been, sad but true. Just like the Vegas media, you just throw that out there without telling the whole story.

Our 17 wins were against teams with an average rating of around 240, and we only had 1 decent win all year, ONE. Menzies schedules down to try and pad his win totals and STILL can't succeed.

Plus, we've already seen what Menzies can do when given time.  The vast majority of Rebel fans have higher expectations than that. After the last 2 coaches, most Rebel fans would be perfectly happy with a coach that could get us to where Kruger had us.

That's the delusion of living in your RebelNet bubble. 

Believe it or not, many of us - I would think an overwhelming majority of us - want to see your program get healthy again. Even after more-or-less abysmally sucking for a quarter-century and counting, you still have brand equity and a good UNLV is good for the conference. And if you guys could ever improve academically and manage to turn around that perennial dumpster fire of a FB program, I honestly think we'd make a good pairing for eventual absorption into a P5 conference. 

Marv built a consistent winner in Las Cruces and has more NCAA tourney appearances than every UNLV coach not named Jerry Tarkanian combined.

Like you said, most Rebel fans would be stoked to get back to where Lon took you. And I think you could get back there with Marv... How many Rebel fans have spoken to how easy it is to recruit to Vegas? IMO, Marv can get you guys to the tourney. And in time, he'll have the recruits to get you back to where Lon had taken you.

But that shit takes time. Eight coaches in twenty years. Eight. Think about that... Your biggest enemy isn't mediocrity. It's impatience and the resulting lack of continuity.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Bayno got 4.5 years.  Spoon got 3.  Kruger got 7.  Rice got 4.5.  Simon got .5.  Menzies got 3.    No doubt there has been turnover, but I see it as mediocrity that leads to impatience in this case.  

16 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

That's the delusion of living in your RebelNet bubble. 

Believe it or not, many of us - I would think an overwhelming majority of us - want to see your program get healthy again. Even after more-or-less abysmally sucking for a quarter-century and counting, you still have brand equity and a good UNLV is good for the conference. And if you guys could ever improve academically and manaegh to turn around that perennial dumpster fire of a FB program, I honestly think we'd make a good pairing for eventual absorption into a P5 conference. 

Marv built a consistent winner in Las Cruces and has more NCAA tourney appearances than every UNLV coach not named Jerry Tarkanian combined.

Like you said, most Rebel fans would be stoked to get back to where Lon took you. And I think you could get back there with Marv... How many Rebel fans have spoken to how easy it is to recruit to Vegas? IMO, Marv can get you guys to the tourney. And in time, he'll have the recruits to get you back to where Lon had taken you.

But that shit takes time. Eight coaches in twenty years. Eight. Think about that... Your biggest enemy isn't mediocrity. It's impatience and the resulting lack of continuity.

How many of those NCAA tourney games did he win? How many top 25 wins did he have in all those great years at NMSU? Did he make it to the tourney year in and year out because his teams were really good, or because he was competing against the likes of Chicago St, UMKC, UT Rio Grande Valley, CSU Bakersfield, etc. Again, more spin to try and polish a turd. Marvin Menzies was overwhelmingly unwanted here, OVERWHELMINGLY! Therefore no one wants to give him any more time.

I would love to get back to where Kruger had us, the only problem is, Kruger proved prior to UNLV that he could get amazing results no matter where he was, Menzies hasn't proven anything, except that he can dominate minnows.

9 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

How many of those NCAA tourney games did he win? How many top 25 wins did he have in all those great years at NMSU? Did he make it to the tourney year in and year out because his teams were really good, or because he was competing against the likes of Chicago St, UMKC, UT Rio Grande Valley, CSU Bakersfield, etc. Again, more spin to try and polish a turd. Marvin Menzies was overwhelmingly unwanted here, OVERWHELMINGLY! Therefore no one wants to give him any more time.

I would love to get back to where Kruger had us, the only problem is, Kruger proved prior to UNLV that he could get amazing results no matter where he was, Menzies hasn't proven anything, except that he can dominate minnows.

Bro talk about the WAC that included most of the current mountain west schools in which he played against and deafeted to get to the tournament 

the last three years may be more accurate but they still had to deal with other teams that where just as good and he lost like 2 games (in conference)at most in those last two years so keep it real

25 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Marv played and won against cupcakes. 

9 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Bro talk about the WAC that included most of the current mountain west schools in which he played against and deafeted to get to the tournament 

the last three years may be more accurate but they still had to deal with other teams that where just as good and he lost like 2 games at most in those last two years so keep it real

Nevada left the WAC in 11-12, they won the regular season title that year and were 2-0 vs NMSU. Fresno St. was terrible that year and SJSU was SJSU. Utah St. was decent, but as those teams started to leave, that's when NMSU started to dominate, they weren't dominating before. Boise's last year in the WAC was 10-11.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

With all due respect, we understand it takes more than 30 months to evaluate a coach. You guys seem live in this bubble that Jesus Clipboard Christ himself - JC the HC - is someday going to descend from the heavens and coach you guys up to your next natty... someday... Consider:

- You're trending up - a +4 win differential in conference, Y2Y over three seasons now.

- You lost two of your most critical players to injuries from this years squad.

- And Marv should get a pass on Y1 because the clown car that is your front office brought him in lieterally at the midnight hour with what - two? - recruits on your roster.

Y'all need some Rtialin. Like all the Ritalin. Nothing good comes easy - Viejas wasn't built in a day, you know... or even three years.

UNLV did not lose two critical players. 

UNLV actually played better after Juiston was injured. Not right away, because it took MM about 2/3 games to figure out who was better than who, which to me is alarming considering he and the staff see these guys more than anyone else.

He literally found a starter and major rotation piece by accident during a blowout. 

Everything else you stated was spot on. 

Marv should be brought back unless a clearly better coach is lined up and ready to go. The problem with this should, is that with the players coming in and the players coming back, is that its not clearly better than whats here now day one. The players have much higher ceilings than whats here now, but there will be a stark learning curve going from seniors to true freshmen. 

So bringing Marv back on a one year ultimatum will just result in firing him one year later. I guess it might spark some urgency, but urgency from the head position should never, ever be in question. 

He could trim some fat on the roster and bring in impact guys, but if he could have done that already, why hasnt he?

Marv seems to have an issue with overestimating his talent level, and underestimating other teams talent levels.

This thread comes full circle proof you cant change peoples minds.

Spitting the same garbage out.

Wake me up when Pitino is here.

Or wake me up when we hire the the Big Sky coach of the year and all this shit you spout goes out the window.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

11 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Marv played and won against cupcakes. 

With players he was able to get to go to Lessor Albuquerque.

How many thousands of times have I read both here and on RebelNet the legion of Rebels (yourself included) speak to how easy it is to recruit to Vegas?

But those changes take a bit more time than the twelve minute leash you guys give your new coaching hires. Like I said, your biggest enemy isn't mediocrity... it's your collective impatience and resulting lack of continuity. I know Marv isn't a coaching god like Steve Fisher, but he's a proven winner.

In fact, I think it was Fish who opined that your guys blow your load too quickly, that under 'normal' circumstances, three years is required to evaluate a new HC hire, but given the shat bed of a dumpster fire Marv inherited with something like ten minutes left on the recruiting calendar, that he should be given four.

This faux sense of urgency that "Unless Elvis returns to lead us to the Promised Land the TMack will be empty" simply fuels this delusion that the only way to get BIS is to find yourself some new Strange. And it will always come at the expense of your program's long term health. Just give the man one more year ffs (unless you get a mother load hire like Matta).

11 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

This thread comes full circle proof you cant change peoples minds.

I get what youre saying, but im pretty sure the poster who goes by Amaru523 switched horses on this thing right around the AFA blowout loss. It might have been after the first suds blowout. Im not sure but right around then.

They were pretty supportive of MM and the direction before that, but the stretch of bucknell, afa, reno, sdsu seemed to cause a change in perspective. 

I cant say I blame the thinking. Ive been pretty displeased with whats going on myself. But I just try to keep a realistic perspective based on a historical basis.

But that is one instance of someone changing their mind. 

7 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

How many thousands of times have I read both here and on RebelNet the legion of Rebels (yourself included) speak to how easy it is to recruit to Vegas?

But those changes take a bit more time than the twelve minute leash you guys give your new coaching hires. Like I said, your biggest enemy isn't mediocrity... it's your collective impatience and resulting lack of continuity. I know Marv isn't a coaching god like Steve Fisher, but he's a proven winner.

In fact, I think it was Fish who opined that your guys blow your load too quickly, that under 'normal' circumstances, three years is required to evaluate a new HC hire, but given the shat bed of a dumpster fire Marv inherited with something like ten minutes left on the recruiting calendar, that he should be given four.

This faux sense of urgency that "Unless Elvis returns to lead us to the Promised Land the TMack will be empty" simply fuels this delusion that the only way to get BIS is to find yourself some new Strange. And it will always come at the expense of your program's long term health. Just give the man one more year ffs (unless you get a mother load hire like Matta).

He almost beat you guys with 5 bums 

47 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Muss has assembled a team based on transfers. Let's see how well they transition past this year's senior transfer 3-year apogee before we anoint Reno as a "program."

Furthermore, I honestly would be surprised if Muss is still in Reno next season. He knows how far this "program" will take a step back next year and he's too smart to not commoditize on his success before it retraces in value when they lose 90+% of their scoring and PT.

7 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

It's crazy how people outside the box need to come in and check these people...

All is well, For Rice is gone.