Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Gonzaga Losing to St Mary’s @ HT, Held To 24 Points

Tinfoil hat time.  Possibility that this was a tanking performance to get two bids and more money for the conference?  :whistle:

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Is Gonzaga still getting a 1 seed in the tournament?

I don't think this loss hurts Gonzaga much.  Maybe they fall to being a 2 seed?

Yep. They dropped to a #2 seed

8 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Is Gonzaga still getting a 1 seed in the tournament?

I don't think this loss hurts Gonzaga much.  Maybe they fall to being a 2 seed?

Gonzaga is a #1 seed.  They still have their two Quad 1 wins vs Saint Mary's, plus a win over a healthy Duke.  They may not be the #1 team in the land after this, but they'll still be a 1 seed.

14 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Did St Mary’s just steal the MWC’s second bid? 

No.  They might have stolen TCU's, Indiana's or ASU's, though.

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

So they stole Nevada or USUs.  The committee would rather have those teams to sell tickets.  And P5 bias.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

The only sure bid in the MWC right now is Nevada.  

The MWC might need to have someone other than Nevada win the MWC tournament in order to get 2 bids now.

Plus, there might be additional "stolen bids" looming.  

How many bids is the PAC12 going to get?

Living in eastern WA I'm somewhat of a Gonzaga fan.  That said I'm smiling just a little at the loss tonight.  After spurning the MWC and bending over the WCC to stay in the conference it's only right that karma rears it's head :D.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

The only sure bid in the MWC right now is Nevada.  

The MWC might need to have someone other than Nevada win the MWC tournament in order to get 2 bids now.

Plus, there might be additional "stolen bids" looming.  

How many bids is the PAC12 going to get?

Pac 12 will get one.  Two if someone other than Washington wins the auto bid.  I think Nevada is safe and USU will be if the reach the MW semis.  

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

Pac 12 will get one.  Two if someone other than Washington wins the auto bid.  I think Nevada is safe and USU will be if the reach the MW semis.  

I don't think the powers that be will give the PAC12 only 1 bid.  They will get 2.

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I don't think the powers that be will give the PAC12 only 1 bid.  They will get 2.

Arizona State is less than 10 points ahead of UC Irvine in NET rankings.  ASU's eaten some horrible losses.

Let's say USU wins the MW. Or someone not named Buffalo wins the MAC.  Or Indiana wins the Big Ten Tournament.  Any one of these happens and at least one bubble p5 is knocked out of the NCAAs.  That one is likely to be ASU.

St. Mary's has had a good program for many years and Gonzaga probably took them for granted because they beat them twice this season. So I'm not shocked the Gael's won.

10 hours ago, mugtang said:

So they stole Nevada or USUs.  The committee would rather have those teams to sell tickets.  And P5 bias.  

Not even you believe this, Mug. If anything, this only strengthens USU's resume. And if the committee is interested in selling tickets, they'll put USU in SLC. 

2 minutes ago, 307dude said:

Not even you believe this, Mug. If anything, this only strengthens USU's resume. And if the committee is interested in selling tickets, they'll put USU in SLC. 

The SLC site is already sold out, other than the ticket allotment given to the schools. The San Jose site is another matter.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Probably better for Zags players and coaches.  They had been on cruise control since 2019 started.  A punch in the mouth wakes them up.

Worked for the Pack after getting boat-raced in the MW semi's last year :P

8k3esKz.png

12 hours ago, mugtang said:

More like they stole Belmont, UNCG, Furman, or Lipscomb’s bid. At this point, I think USU is comfortably in the field.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg