Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Well It's a Good Thing They Changed the Name To "Climate Change"

6 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Interesting examples to use given Acid Rain in the US and Ozone Depletion were both fixed through government regulation (The Clean Air Act of 1990 and the Montreal Protocol of 1987).

When I see a good proposal to address carbon emissions that won’t completely stagnate or collapse the economy or look more like a fluff proposal to line the pockets of DC with cash that will get wasted you have my word that I will be 100% behind it.

v0icAvfW.jpg

35 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So what have you done personally to help reduce pollution? 

I use a small used car that gets 35-40mpg strictly for commuting.  I bike as much as possible.  Eat less red meat.  Try to recycle.  Try not to buy bottled water and use glasses.  Try not to use plastics when don't have to.  Use tap water as much as possible, in place of soft drinks.  Moved closer to work to reduce commuting.  Try to buy used where possible - books, cars, toys, etc.  Use clothes longer, especially tennis, boots, etc.  Stay away from shiny new objects until old ones give out like cell phones.  Don't overeat.  Encourage family to have fun hobbies that don't need a lot of resources - basketball, baseball, biking, skateboarding, playing at park. I've pretty much loaded up on kids books and toys at garage sales.  Same thing for sporting equipment, buy used.   Little stuff i guess, but it adds up.  

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Ahhhhh, the oft quoted (and misunderstood and/or misinterpreted) 97% of climate scientists fallacy popping up all over this thread.  😂 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2016/12/14/fact-checking-the-97-consensus-on-anthropogenic-climate-change/#241945c61157

I've brought this up before, people who use the 97 % climate scientists agree thing don't bother to read the original literature nor even the abstract from the oft quoted survey of climate scientists (40+% of whom were geologists, paleontologists etc...) People believe what they want to believe. Some on here want double blinded randomized studies on conclusions they don't agree with but observational, non reproducible studies are ok when they support their own beliefs.

26 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I use a small used car that gets 35-40mpg strictly for commuting.  I bike as much as possible.  Eat less red meat.  Try to recycle.  Try not to buy bottled water and use glasses.  Try not to use plastics when don't have to.  Use tap water as much as possible, in place of soft drinks.  Moved closer to work to reduce commuting.  Try to buy used where possible - books, cars, toys, etc.  Use clothes longer, especially tennis, boots, etc.  Stay away from shiny new objects until old ones give out like cell phones.  Don't overeat.  Encourage family to have fun hobbies that don't need a lot of resources - basketball, baseball, biking, skateboarding, playing at park. I've pretty much loaded up on kids books and toys at garage sales.  Same thing for sporting equipment, buy used.   Little stuff i guess, but it adds up.  

Kudos on posting this and <presumably> keeping a straight face while doing so.

v0icAvfW.jpg

First time I ever came to Boise for an extended period of time was in 1994. There was snow on the ground from November to March. Before then I’d just visit for Christmas. Every time I visited there was snow on the ground. 

Now it snows 3x a winter. Most of the time it melts by the next day. 1x a winter we’ll have a week with snow on the ground. 50 degree weeks aren’t uncommon. The mountains received all of its snow over a 2 week period in February. 

Its s radical change in 25 years.

38 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

First time I ever came to Boise for an extended period of time was in 1994. There was snow on the ground from November to March. Before then I’d just visit for Christmas. Every time I visited there was snow on the ground. 

Now it snows 3x a winter. Most of the time it melts by the next day. 1x a winter we’ll have a week with snow on the ground. 50 degree weeks aren’t uncommon. The mountains received all of its snow over a 2 week period in February. 

Its s radical change in 25 years.

That is unimpeachable science!

HA! HA! HA!@ HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

I remember playing golf in 70 degree weather in Boise in the 1970's which lasted several weeks in January that year.   Weirdest thing ever, but guess what it doesn't prove anything.

What is it with old white people and climate change denial.. Can’t imagine believing scientists, scholars, and historians have devoted their entire life to deceive me..  While a thrice bankrupt reality tv star with decades of documented fraud and lies is the beacon of truth!

5 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

What is it with old white people and climate change denial.. Can’t imagine believing scientists, scholars, and historians have devoted their entire life to deceive me..  While a thrice bankrupt reality tv star with decades of documented fraud and lies is the beacon of truth!

Amazing isn't it?  Not only that, but they want his signatures on Bibles.  You can't make this stuff up.

2 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Why do racist bigots like you and Akkula have to make everything about race?  Just stop with that BS already.  

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 3/14/2019 at 12:46 PM, alum93 said:

That is neat. I don't do a damn thing to stop climate change. I live my life like I want to and do what makes me happy.  I drive a full size pickup with a big V8 engine as my daily driver because I like it! I eat red meat whenever I want to, my town doesn't even have a recycling program. I am very proud of my carbon footprint!!!. This summer I a m taking my whole family on vacation to Hawaii spewing carbon all across the pacific... it will be great !!!

On 3/15/2019 at 9:20 AM, IanforHeisman said:

Maybe because we have been exposed to and can see through so many of these hoaxes over our life time and aren’t as naive anymore. 

57 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Maybe because we have been exposed to and can see through so many of these hoaxes over our life time and aren’t as naive anymore. 

I agree its good not to believe everything you hear and do your own research to come to conclusions. And even though I agree the evidence isn't as straight forth as immunization benefits or other medical therapies, I still believe the limited data we have is more likely correct in the occurrence of climate change than not.

Also, it seems to be better to be wrong that climate change isn't occuring than vice versa. :shrug:

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Why can't you be consistent about climate change?

On one hand, you call it a hoax and then you turn around and complain about the negative impact it will have on our economy if we try to combat climate change.

Which is it?

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

On one hand, you call it a hoax and then you turn around and complain about the negative impact it will have on our economy if we try to combat climate change.

Which is it?

The media driven narrative about climate change has idiots like you believing in something that is so far far outside reality as to be a hoax.

The facts of climate change are not quantifiable.   No one can tell you it will change exactly this much and it will have this effect and if they claim they can they are lying to you.   So we have no idea what we need to spend to fix it or to make it less severe.  Or if we really need to make it less severe.    So far where I live we have a longer growing season and a little more rainfall, both are very welcome changes.   If you look at predictions from 10 years ago, they claimed this area would be devastated by so called climate change.

When the science gets to the point it understands climate, which we are not close now.  Then maybe we can make a plan that has some sense behind it.

5 hours ago, renoskier said:

Which is it?

I believe it is an unproven biased hoax and the politicians want to impose a carbon tax plus short term reduce fossil fuels to combat it. Instituting a carbon tax and reduction of fossil fuels to the extent needed to have any impact on Co2 emissions will have a major impact on the economy. IMO it’s an excuse by primarily Democratic politicians to raise more taxes on some bullshit boondoggle. 

As previously indicated I have no issues with reducing air pollution, but let’s do it in a measured and practical way without crippling the economy. It’s unnecessary to use climate change scare tactics to reduce pollution if that is truly the goal.