Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged college cheating scam

6 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

@retrofade, I haven't seen anything suggesting UC San Diego is involved.  But there is something on that pretty little school up the hill - aka USD - which fits the bill

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/sd-me-cheating-scandal-20190312-story.html

Investigators say Martin Fox was part of a complicated scheme to get students admitted to such elite schools as USD, the University of Southern California and Yale — by helping them to cheat on entrance exams or to create false athletic records that would make their application look better.

The Justice Department indicted says Singer funneled some of the bribe money through Fox, who is described as the president of a private tennis academy and camp in Houston.  “Fox arranged ...bribes, on two occasions, with a varsity sports coach at USD,” the indictment says.

“In or about 2016, in change for a bribe paid through Fox, the coach designated (that) the son of one of Singer’s clients, who did not play the sport, as a recruit for the university’s team, thereby facilitating his admission to USD.“Singer paid Fox approximately $100,000 for arranging the bribe”

The indictment also says, “In or about 2017, in exchange for the promise of an additional bribe, the coach designated another student as a recruit to manage the coach’s team, thereby facilitating her admission to USD. “Although the student ultimately decided not to attend USD, Singer paid the USD coach $10,000 for his help in securing her admission.”

USD officials were preparing a statement on the matter late Tuesday morning.

For UC San Diego's sake, I hope this scandal doesn't involve them.  Academic fraud is the one thing that would likely cause the Big West to rescind their invitation.  And @Bruininthebay and @CPslograd, such a hypothetical situation means Cal State Bakersfield's invitation would be rescinded as well.

You're right, it's USD and not UCSD.

3 hours ago, sean327 said:

I don't get how these obviously successful people were willing to risk their careers for this crap.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

40 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

With not just 1, 2 or 3 alleged offenders but 4, USC wins again!

Time to start referring to it as U$C again. And it ain't all about Da Benjamins. Head of the school of medicine partying with drug addicted prostitutes...

I clearly went to the wrong school. 

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Plus, if you had gone to USC for law school, you might have been able to hang out with @CARDINALTROJAN. Or was he at Stanford for law school, I can't remember.

It would have been HUGE AND INSURMOUNTABLE regardless

23 minutes ago, retrofade said:

You're right, it's USD and not UCSD.

I saw the correction, it's all good.  Even so, UCSD is an elite institution so it's certainly possible they could be caught up in the hoopla.

Heck, they fired their successful women's soccer coach before last season over something called "Pizzagate."  They didn't want a small BS violation to mushroom into something bigger.  Players and alums were not thrilled whatsoever.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-soccer-ucsd-brian-mcmanus-pizzagate-20180831-story.html

The university announced Aug. 9 McManus had resigned amid potential NCAA violations that, over the course of several years, he provided “student-athletes impermissible benefits in the form of small amounts of money.” A day later, McManus clarified the allegation to the Union-Tribune: Once or twice a season, he gave “$50 or $60” to players for pizza after late-night games...

"Complicating the situation, though, is what happened with the UCSD women’s crew program in 2013. Head coach Pattie Pinkerton was fired after 13 years for having academically ineligible athletes row in competitions under the name of eligible athletes, as well as allegedly distributing Voltaren, an anti-inflammatory cream that is sold over the counter in many countries but requires a prescription in the United States.

Buried on page 32 of the final report from the NCAA is this line: “As required by NCAA legislation for any institution involved in a major infractions case, (UCSD) shall be subject to the provisions of NCAA Byline 19.5.2.3, concerning repeat violators, for a five-year period beginning … Aug. 6, 2013.”

That means subsequent violations of a certain level within the five-year window can bring elevated sanctions, one of which could ban coaches in the new offending sport from “involvement directly or indirectly in any coaching activities at the institution” for one or two seasons."

UCSD took great pains to make sure that even something as minor as buying pizza for athletes wouldn't possibly jeopardize their move up to Division 1.  Petty NCAA violations won't stop their move.  But a nationwide academic scandal would.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

With not just 1, 2 or 3 alleged offenders but 4, USC wins again!

Time to start referring to it as U$C again. And it ain't all about Da Benjamins. Head of the school of medicine partying with drug addicted prostitute, guy in charge of the university gynecology clinic fired for essentially being a decades long pervert, etc. Its most recent president was renown for elevating the school's academic profile while in reality that place was a dumpster fire.

Unless they are asian I think its redundant to say "drug addicted prostitute".

I also had a crush on Lori Loughlin in my younger days, and now she turns out to be a bad girl. B) I like her even more! 

Image result for young lori loughlin hot

USC has already fired the Women's Senior Athletic Director Donna Heinel and Water Polo Coach Jovan Vavic involved in the scandal. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-admissions-scandal-indictment-alleges-use-of-fake-usc-football-profiles-for-students/

William “Rick” Singer, who admitted to orchestrating the scam, explained that there are three ways in which a student can get into the college of their choice: “There is a front door which is you get in on your own. The back door is through institutional advancement, which is ten times as much money. And I’ve created this side door.” The “side door” he’s referring to is outright crime, literally paying bribes and faking test scores. It’s impossible to know how common that is, but there’s reason to suspect it’s comparatively rare. Why? Because for the most part, the wealthy don’t need to pay illegal bribes. They can already pay perfectly legal ones.

Meritocracy is a myth invented by the rich
https://news.yahoo.com/meritocracy-myth-invented-rich-122029380.html

110926run_defense710.jpg