Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sebasour

Other Conference Tournaments Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

And this year we are going to have multiple P5 teams in the tournament with records in conference that at 3 or more games below 500 and are even talking of having a team with a 500 record overall still getting into the tournament as a at-large team. 

And i do disagree because the committee has shown over the years, for mid-majors, they have to do much more than the P5 teams have to do just to be considered for an at-large. 

I think you misunderstood what I said. I’m saying that the committee has shown that even a P5 team like Nebraska last season, that finished EIGHT games over .500 in league play, still didn’t get into the tourney. In the past, that mark in the Big Ten would’ve been golden and they would be a ‘lock’, and that isn’t the case anymore. What this tells me is that the committee doesn’t care what you do in conference play as much as who you play and who you beat, which is why this season we are seeing a handful of P5 schools that are only 2-3 wins over .500 overall that are getting consideration for an at-large and it’s because of the marquee wins on their resume. But don’t think that just because a team in a P5 conference with a .500 record or better is an automatic into the dance. 

As far as favoritism of of P5’s over mid-majors, I honestly can think of only a few times in recent years where a mid-major snub was egregious. If you’re a mid major, you simply have to schedule tougher in OOC play (and win) in order to build your resume and just can’t rely upon beating up teams in conference and inflating your w/l record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

I think you misunderstood what I said. I’m saying that the committee has shown that even a P5 team like Nebraska last season, that finished EIGHT games over .500 in league play, still didn’t get into the tourney. In the past, that mark in the Big Ten would’ve been golden and they would be a ‘lock’, and that isn’t the case anymore. What this tells me is that the committee doesn’t care what you do in conference play as much as who you play and who you beat, which is why this season we are seeing a handful of P5 schools that are only 2-3 wins over .500 overall that are getting consideration for an at-large and it’s because of the marquee wins on their resume. But don’t think that just because a team in a P5 conference with a .500 record or better is an automatic into the dance. 

As far as favoritism of of P5’s over mid-majors, I honestly can think of only a few times in recent years where a mid-major snub was egregious. If you’re a mid major, you simply have to schedule tougher in OOC play (and win) in order to build your resume and just can’t rely upon beating up teams in conference and inflating your w/l record.

I did misunderstand the Nebraska post, my apologies. However for my own personal thing for a team to have that much of a losing record in conference you should have done something special in the OOC and many of these teams did not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colgate up 13 at the half. They haven't made the tourney since 96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bye bye Arizona. ends their season with a loss to USC in the first round of the Pac 12 Tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely brutal way to lose a tourney game for The Sooners

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oklahoma game shouldn't have been that close but no worries Oklahoma only dropped a spot so now they are a 10 seed in the tournament instead of a 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indiana loses to Ohio State. That probably popped IU’s bubble, but we’ll find out on Sunday. 

Providence loses to Nova— they’re out

NCSt loses to the Hoos- they could still be in, but it’ll be close

Florida probably needs to win two games, but look like they’ll get past Arkansas.

Creighton, Washington, and TCU are up next at the top of the hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Bye bye Arizona. ends their season with a loss to USC in the first round of the Pac 12 Tournament.

 

 

Chase Jeter come on home......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Escaped a first round win vs CSUN.  not the way I wanted to start the conference tourney :shots:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AAC Quarterfinals feature 

1 Houston vs 9 UConn

4 UCF vs 5 Memphis

2 Cincy vs 10 SMU

3 Temple vs 6 WSU 

Houston, Cincy, UCF, and Temple look like NCAA tourney locks so Memphis has to win the tourney at FEF to get in

I'm quite happy with Penny's first season at Memphis. He has the Tigers 20-12 (11-7) with wins over teams/coaches such as Gregg Marshall/WSU, Temple/Fran Dunphy, UCF/Johnny Dawkins, UConn/Dan Hurley, Yale/James Jones. Throw in his recruiting class and increased attendance and it's clear this season is already a success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how the commentators on ESPNU are calling the American a great basketball conference yet there's like 200 people at the game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Escaped a first round win vs CSUN.  not the way I wanted to start the conference tourney :shots:

Yeah that Diane kid on CSUN is really good. He can take over a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SangerBulldog said:

I like how the commentators on ESPNU are calling the American a great basketball conference yet there's like 200 people at the game 

they aren't planning to make their money on the Thu night game lol....the Fri/Sat/Sun crowds will be much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Yeah that Diane kid on CSUN is really good. He can take over a game.

 

Diane started the day nationally ranked 7th in both points and rebounds per game.  If he can improve his FTs and put on a few pounds, an NBA future is within reach.

I don't think he's leaving CSUN after just one year.  But a lot will depend on whether or not Gottfried remains the coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

AAC Quarterfinals feature 

1 Houston vs 9 UConn

4 UCF vs 5 Memphis

2 Cincy vs 10 SMU

3 Temple vs WSU (probably)

Houston, Cincy, UCF, and Temple look like NCAA tourney locks so Memphis has to win the tourney at FEF to get in

I'm quite happy with Penny's first season at Memphis. He has the Tigers 20-12 (11-7) with wins over teams/coaches such as Gregg Marshall/WSU, Temple/Fran Dunphy, UCF/Johnny Dawkins, UConn/Dan Hurley, Yale/James Jones. Throw in his recruiting class and increased attendance and it's clear this season is already a success.

 

I'd welcome a 5th AAC team if that meant pushing Arizona State or NC State off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@UofMTigers

 

If you beat UCF and Houston back to back but lose the championship game, do you think you have a shot at an at large?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sebasour said:

@UofMTigers

 

If you beat UCF and Houston back to back but lose the championship game, do you think you have a shot at an at large?

really hard to say...I don't think the committee wants to give us five.

I'd like to see Memphis vs Temple for the AAC title with Memphis winning. I feel like that's about the only way the AAC can guarantee 5 teams in this season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm, Hawaii?  You were up 12 points vs Long Beach State with 7 mins left in the game.  You led by as many as 18. What happened?? :huh:

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, aggzilla said:

Indiana loses to Ohio State. That probably popped IU’s bubble, but we’ll find out on Sunday. 

Providence loses to Nova— they’re out

NCSt loses to the Hoos- they could still be in, but it’ll be close

Florida probably needs to win two games, but look like they’ll get past Arkansas.

Creighton, Washington, and TCU are up next at the top of the hour.

Most brackets I have seen have NC State safely in the field at this point. Some other brackets updated have TCU as one of the last 4 teams into the tournament right now. Also read something saying that Washington is now safely in the field whether they win the tournament or not and Arizona St is close to a lock now as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting development in the A10 tourney as VCU’s best player, Marcus Evans, went down with a bad knee injury and had to be helped off the court. If VCU loses to Rhode Island, who is only down 3 at the half, and Evans is out of the season, this has to hurt VCU’s chances of making the tourney as they will be judged for how they played without him. Reminds me a lot of the situation St. Mary’s had when Patty Mills went down and they ended up getting snubbed.

That injury may have just opened up a bid for someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×