Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Other Conference Tournaments Thread

1 hour ago, thatsmymammy said:

Why do they keep saying SMC should be in the tourney? Lost 6 more than last year with no big wins.

A beefed up ooc schedule and stronger WCC this year.

Just now, jdgaucho said:

A beefed up ooc schedule and stronger WCC this year.

Yet they lost to UCI at home and USU on a neutral court. USU beat both and UCI at UCI. USU had to beat Nevada to be a lock. I actually believe SMC should have been in last year, not this year. 

3 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Yet they lost to UCI at home and USU on a neutral court. USU beat both and UCI at UCI. USU had to beat Nevada to be a lock. I actually believe SMC should have been in last year, not this year. 

SMC did win at New Mexico State, although they also lost to Mississippi State and LSU.  The NCAA told them to schedule up and they did.  Granted they went 1-4 in these nonconference opportunities, but their NET rankings is keeping them in the mix.

Beat the Zags and they get the auto bid.  Lose a 3rd time and they're sweating it out again.

FWIW, of the 118 brackets tracked on Bracket Matrix, only 6 have The Gaels in. They need a win over Gonzaga for an at large, and if they do that it becomes a moot point anyway, since they'll have the autobid. 

I’ll admit, I was a little peeved to see that CBS Sports did a ‘major’ conference tourney preview for the P5’s, the BE, the AAC, and no one else. We really need SDSU, UNLV, and UNM, as well as the rest of the conference, including USU, to get back to respectability and national prominence. For our reputation’s sake, we just can’t afford to take the OOC portion off and not compete, anymore, and not make deep runs in the Big Dance. We need to step up now!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/conference-tournament-predictions-picks-odds-for-aac-acc-big-east-big-ten-big-12-sec-pac-12/

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

32 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

I’ll admit, I was a little peeved to see that CBS Sports did a ‘major’ conference tourney preview for the P5’s, the BE, the AAC, and no one else. We really need SDSU, UNLV, and UNM, as well as the rest of the conference, including USU, to get back to respectability and national prominence. For our reputation’s sake, we just can’t afford to take the OOC portion off and not compete, anymore, and not make deep runs in the Big Dance. We need to step up now!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/conference-tournament-predictions-picks-odds-for-aac-acc-big-east-big-ten-big-12-sec-pac-12/

MWC and MSVC deal is almost up isn’t it??? MWC teams should just take the 2-1 other conference players are offering...

Yeah hopefully the conference does some things in this regard 

1 hour ago, aggzilla said:

CBS Sports has always done the major conferences, they really don't pay attention to mid-majors during conference tournament time. Even when UNLV, New Mexico and SDSU were up as you said, they didn't pay a lot of attention to them. CBS Sports hasn't been to much of a mid-major hurrrah usually which is kind of strange for this year because Palm has been pushing mid majors a bit more this year than in past while Lunardi has been a bit down on mid-majors this year.

1 hour ago, PlayersinVegas said:

MWC and MSVC deal is almost up isn’t it??? MWC teams should just take the 2-1 other conference players are offering...

Yeah hopefully the conference does some things in this regard 

We start a conference agreement with Atlantic 10 I think year after next. But sometimes even when you schedule big, those teams you schedule can have down years which hurts

15 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

I bet Northeastern  (-2) to beat Hofstra tonight for  the NCAA bid.

but Game essentially a Pick 'em.

Also took the Zags to pummel St. Marys in their final.

They both had a little trouble in their semi-final matchup. Northeastern and Hofstra split their games this season with Norteastern giving Hofstra their first conference loss. It should be an interesting game between the two.

A lot of people have Gonzaga as a one seed win or loss going into the tournament. They haven't lost since last year, I don't think they will but this could be a game they end up sleep walking through. 

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Lunardi and Palm both have Belmont as a bubble team possible one of the first four left out right now.

I'm gonna call it.  Belmont will get an at-large bid, be last four in.

57 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I think Palm had Furman and Greensboro in the tournament with Belmont being one of the first four out.

Depending on what happens in the larger tourneys, I think 2 of the 4 mid-major teams- Lipscomb, Belmont, Furman, and UNCG- will get in, and they will represent  two of the First Four.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

Pressure has gotten to Omaha, who defeated NDSU both times during the regular season. They were the favorites to win today but look as though they’ve never played organized b-ball before. 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg