Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Other Conference Tournaments Thread

3 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

I think you misunderstood what I said. I’m saying that the committee has shown that even a P5 team like Nebraska last season, that finished EIGHT games over .500 in league play, still didn’t get into the tourney. In the past, that mark in the Big Ten would’ve been golden and they would be a ‘lock’, and that isn’t the case anymore. What this tells me is that the committee doesn’t care what you do in conference play as much as who you play and who you beat, which is why this season we are seeing a handful of P5 schools that are only 2-3 wins over .500 overall that are getting consideration for an at-large and it’s because of the marquee wins on their resume. But don’t think that just because a team in a P5 conference with a .500 record or better is an automatic into the dance. 

As far as favoritism of of P5’s over mid-majors, I honestly can think of only a few times in recent years where a mid-major snub was egregious. If you’re a mid major, you simply have to schedule tougher in OOC play (and win) in order to build your resume and just can’t rely upon beating up teams in conference and inflating your w/l record.

I did misunderstand the Nebraska post, my apologies. However for my own personal thing for a team to have that much of a losing record in conference you should have done something special in the OOC and many of these teams did not. 

Indiana loses to Ohio State. That probably popped IU’s bubble, but we’ll find out on Sunday. 

Providence loses to Nova— they’re out

NCSt loses to the Hoos- they could still be in, but it’ll be close

Florida probably needs to win two games, but look like they’ll get past Arkansas.

Creighton, Washington, and TCU are up next at the top of the hour.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

16 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Bye bye Arizona. ends their season with a loss to USC in the first round of the Pac 12 Tournament.

Chase Jeter come on home......

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

AAC Quarterfinals feature 

1 Houston vs 9 UConn

4 UCF vs 5 Memphis

2 Cincy vs 10 SMU

3 Temple vs 6 WSU 

Houston, Cincy, UCF, and Temple look like NCAA tourney locks so Memphis has to win the tourney at FEF to get in

I'm quite happy with Penny's first season at Memphis. He has the Tigers 20-12 (11-7) with wins over teams/coaches such as Gregg Marshall/WSU, Temple/Fran Dunphy, UCF/Johnny Dawkins, UConn/Dan Hurley, Yale/James Jones. Throw in his recruiting class and increased attendance and it's clear this season is already a success.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

10 minutes ago, SangerBulldog said:

I like how the commentators on ESPNU are calling the American a great basketball conference yet there's like 200 people at the game 

they aren't planning to make their money on the Thu night game lol....the Fri/Sat/Sun crowds will be much better.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

9 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Yeah that Diane kid on CSUN is really good. He can take over a game.

Diane started the day nationally ranked 7th in both points and rebounds per game.  If he can improve his FTs and put on a few pounds, an NBA future is within reach.

I don't think he's leaving CSUN after just one year.  But a lot will depend on whether or not Gottfried remains the coach.

22 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

AAC Quarterfinals feature 

1 Houston vs 9 UConn

4 UCF vs 5 Memphis

2 Cincy vs 10 SMU

3 Temple vs WSU (probably)

Houston, Cincy, UCF, and Temple look like NCAA tourney locks so Memphis has to win the tourney at FEF to get in

I'm quite happy with Penny's first season at Memphis. He has the Tigers 20-12 (11-7) with wins over teams/coaches such as Gregg Marshall/WSU, Temple/Fran Dunphy, UCF/Johnny Dawkins, UConn/Dan Hurley, Yale/James Jones. Throw in his recruiting class and increased attendance and it's clear this season is already a success.

I'd welcome a 5th AAC team if that meant pushing Arizona State or NC State off

4 minutes ago, sebasour said:

@UofMTigers

If you beat UCF and Houston back to back but lose the championship game, do you think you have a shot at an at large?

really hard to say...I don't think the committee wants to give us five.

I'd like to see Memphis vs Temple for the AAC title with Memphis winning. I feel like that's about the only way the AAC can guarantee 5 teams in this season. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Umm, Hawaii?  You were up 12 points vs Long Beach State with 7 mins left in the game.  You led by as many as 18. What happened?? :huh:

13 hours ago, aggzilla said:

Indiana loses to Ohio State. That probably popped IU’s bubble, but we’ll find out on Sunday. 

Providence loses to Nova— they’re out

NCSt loses to the Hoos- they could still be in, but it’ll be close

Florida probably needs to win two games, but look like they’ll get past Arkansas.

Creighton, Washington, and TCU are up next at the top of the hour.

Most brackets I have seen have NC State safely in the field at this point. Some other brackets updated have TCU as one of the last 4 teams into the tournament right now. Also read something saying that Washington is now safely in the field whether they win the tournament or not and Arizona St is close to a lock now as well.

Interesting development in the A10 tourney as VCU’s best player, Marcus Evans, went down with a bad knee injury and had to be helped off the court. If VCU loses to Rhode Island, who is only down 3 at the half, and Evans is out of the season, this has to hurt VCU’s chances of making the tourney as they will be judged for how they played without him. Reminds me a lot of the situation St. Mary’s had when Patty Mills went down and they ended up getting snubbed.

That injury may have just opened up a bid for someone.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

11 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Umm, Hawaii?  You were up 12 points vs Long Beach State with 7 mins left in the game.  You led by as many as 18. What happened?? :huh:

Ever since that first season, Ganot has struggled to win consistently. Giving up big leads only to lose at the end has also become sort of a Ganot trademark.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg