Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Other Conference Tournaments Thread

Whelp, this is what I get for calling St. Mary's The Washington Generals.

Also bummed for Omaha if they can't turn this around. I always cheer for teams that have never made it, and the path was perfectly laid out for them

28 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Also bummed for Omaha if they can't turn this around. I always cheer for teams that have never made it, and the path was perfectly laid out for them

Same here ... this is March madness

35 minutes ago, sebasour said:

I was rooting for Omaha, as well. Love the city, and I actually miss Trev Alberts as a cfb analyst, but he is now AD at Omaha. Would’ve been great to see them dancing for the 1st time in school history.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

Actually not really surprised by the St Mary's result. I commented on it earlier today. For some reason to me everything was set up for something to happen like it did.

Well we had at least one bubble burst so far.

1 seeds are not having a good tournament season so far with only three winning their tournaments.

WHelp most of the championship games were duds tonight, but at least we got a massive shocker to end it on.

Only one bid on the line tomorrow, and that's The Patriot league. Colgate and Bucknell split the regular season title, but Colgate won the tiebreaker and will be at home, trying to punch their first ticket in 23 years. I believe that's the last auto bid before Saturday.

Outside of that it's mostly just early round basketball tomorrow, as most of the bigger leagues start their tourneys. There's some noteworthy bubble games though.

NC State is playing Clemson to start of the day in what I imagine is effectively a play in game. 

TCU is narrowly on the right of the side of the bubble according to most brackets, but they can't afford a loss to a really bad Oklahoma State team (Frogs are only favored by 4)

I was surprised to see Oklahoma projected as an 8 seed in many brackets, so I think they're probably in no matter what, but a first round loss to a bad West Virginia team will leave them sweating on Sunday.

St. John's like TCU is narrowly in according to most projections, however they're facing a DePaul team that actually swept them during the season. The Johnnies really don't want to enter Selection Sunday with a 4 game losing steak, and having to answer for 3 losses to DePaul. 

38 minutes ago, sebasour said:

WHelp most of the championship games were duds tonight, but at least we got a massive shocker to end it on.

Only one bid on the line tomorrow, and that's The Patriot league. Colgate and Bucknell split the regular season title, but Colgate won the tiebreaker and will be at home, trying to punch their first ticket in 23 years. I believe that's the last auto bid before Saturday.

Outside of that it's mostly just early round basketball tomorrow, as most of the bigger leagues start their tourneys. There's some noteworthy bubble games though.

NC State is playing Clemson to start of the day in what I imagine is effectively a play in game. 

TCU is narrowly on the right of the side of the bubble according to most brackets, but they can't afford a loss to a really bad Oklahoma State team (Frogs are only favored by 4)

I was surprised to see Oklahoma projected as an 8 seed in many brackets, so I think they're probably in no matter what, but a first round loss to a bad West Virginia team will leave them sweating on Sunday.

St. John's like TCU is narrowly in according to most projections, however they're facing a DePaul team that actually swept them during the season. The Johnnies really don't want to enter Selection Sunday with a 4 game losing steak, and having to answer for 3 losses to DePaul. 

Don't forget that Ohio St is playing Indiana in the Big 10 tournament coming up which many are saying could be an elimination game. A couple brackets have St. John's safely in the tournament right now also. I was also watching something from Andy Katz who doesn't think the NC State vs. Clemson is an elimination game as he thinks right now both teams are in the tournament. Big East Tournament could be the bubble tournament of the whole thing possibly even though I think only two should get in at this point and back to NC State still kind of shows you the edge big conferences have over the mid-majors. NC State worst SOS and only playing two teams with a winning record in their OOC, one of which they scheduled, but yet they are in the tournament talk only because they are in the ACC. Put them in another conference they probably would even be in the bubble talk.

And now you have the bigger conferences starting their runs like you said. But there are some intiguing early games in some tournaments. We should start to see more bubbles burst in the coming days

36 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Don't forget that Ohio St is playing Indiana in the Big 10 tournament coming up which many are saying could be an elimination game. A couple brackets have St. John's safely in the tournament right now also. I was also watching something from Andy Katz who doesn't think the NC State vs. Clemson is an elimination game as he thinks right now both teams are in the tournament. Big East Tournament could be the bubble tournament of the whole thing possibly even though I think only two should get in at this point and back to NC State still kind of shows you the edge big conferences have over the mid-majors. NC State worst SOS and only playing two teams with a winning record in their OOC, one of which they scheduled, but yet they are in the tournament talk only because they are in the ACC. Put them in another conference they probably would even be in the bubble talk.

And now you have the bigger conferences starting their runs like you said. But there are some intiguing early games in some tournaments. We should start to see more bubbles burst in the coming days

Several years ago Seth Greenberg and Virginia Tech had the same SOS circumstances as NC State.  Virginia Tech was snubbed despite finishing tied for 3rd in the ACC.

In what was being described as an Big dance elimination game, Clemson was up 18 in the first half only to go 11 min without a basket and they lose by 1 to NCSt. Clemson plays the waiting game, but is probably out now. Just a weak resume and total lack of Q1 wins.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

13 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Several years ago Seth Greenberg and Virginia Tech had the same SOS circumstances as NC State.  Virginia Tech was snubbed despite finishing tied for 3rd in the ACC.

Different times now, NC State is now safely in the field according to the talking heads where Clemson has to wait it out. 

Many moons ago mid-major teams were given chances for consideration but now, they are only fillers according to the committee.

19 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Different times now, NC State is now safely in the field according to the talking heads where Clemson has to wait it out. 

Many moons ago mid-major teams were given chances for consideration but now, they are only fillers according to the committee.

Disagree slightly. It used to be if a P5 school just had a .500 record or better in conference play, they would automatically get in. Last year, Nebraska had a 13-5 record in the Big Ten and still didn’t get in. Believe what you want, but I feel that the selection committee has, for the most part, done a fair job when it comes to selecting the 36 best at-large teams, regardless if they are a P5 or a mid major, for the tournament especially over the past decade or so.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

8 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

Disagree slightly. It used to be if a P5 school just had a .500 record or better in conference play, they would automatically get in. Last year, Nebraska had a 13-5 record in the Big Ten and still didn’t get in. Believe what you want, but I feel that the selection committee has, for the most part, done a fair job when it comes to selecting the 36 best at-large teams, regardless if they are a P5 or a mid major, for the tournament especially over the past decade or so.

And this year we are going to have multiple P5 teams in the tournament with records in conference that at 3 or more games below 500 and are even talking of having a team with a 500 record overall still getting into the tournament as a at-large team. 

And i do disagree because the committee has shown over the years, for mid-majors, they have to do much more than the P5 teams have to do just to be considered for an at-large. 

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

And this year we are going to have multiple P5 teams in the tournament with records in conference that at 3 or more games below 500 and are even talking of having a team with a 500 record overall still getting into the tournament as a at-large team. 

And i do disagree because the committee has shown over the years, for mid-majors, they have to do much more than the P5 teams have to do just to be considered for an at-large. 

I think you misunderstood what I said. I’m saying that the committee has shown that even a P5 team like Nebraska last season, that finished EIGHT games over .500 in league play, still didn’t get into the tourney. In the past, that mark in the Big Ten would’ve been golden and they would be a ‘lock’, and that isn’t the case anymore. What this tells me is that the committee doesn’t care what you do in conference play as much as who you play and who you beat, which is why this season we are seeing a handful of P5 schools that are only 2-3 wins over .500 overall that are getting consideration for an at-large and it’s because of the marquee wins on their resume. But don’t think that just because a team in a P5 conference with a .500 record or better is an automatic into the dance. 

As far as favoritism of of P5’s over mid-majors, I honestly can think of only a few times in recent years where a mid-major snub was egregious. If you’re a mid major, you simply have to schedule tougher in OOC play (and win) in order to build your resume and just can’t rely upon beating up teams in conference and inflating your w/l record.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg