Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

OT: Direct TV changing its packages

You guys looking for an OTA solution shd check Amazon's Recast. ~$200 for recast and another $40 for a Fire TV stick will get you a lot of options for your money.

Pros: Built in hard drives, free program guide.

Cons: Form factor not as good as HDHomerun, 1080i is downconverted to 720p (really big issue for those if us with 55" + televisions). Smartphone app missing features.

I stopped watching most TV last year. It's really changed my life. I'm being much more productive and taking on more responsibility. It's been great. I don't think I could go back. I have season tickets to the bulldogs, and if it's a big away game I can watch it with a friend or Sports bar.

I am as big of a sports fan as anybody, but I got rid of cable last summer, and ditched PSVue a couple months ago; just got tired of paying so much money. I do the 5.99/month Hulu plan (with commercials), ESPN+ for UFC, and Netflix. Will be buying an OTA antenna this week so I can get the major sporting events. Works for me.

We just signed up for YouTube TV.  $42 with tax.  Get the news, local networks, sports including CBS, Nat Geo and Disney.  Plenty of channels for a fraction of the price.  We had been with DTV since 2002 and already are wondering why we didn't switch earlier.   I would have done Philo for $20 and an antenna but we can’t pull in the local stations because of the mountains.

I had Dish for past couple years, but they raised prices and then I called in and they wouldn't do anything so I cancelled it.  Using Hulu live now for a month or two.  I won't subscribe to anything for the summer months most likely.  But will have to figure out what to get in fall for football, college and NFL.  

I just got YouTube tv/philo combo, 65 total with tax. Got 4 local channels as well and a nice wide range of channels. Only one missing is a weather channel. The DVR is good too. Now that directv now charges 50 and 70 for a shit selection, I predict their new customer sign ups will drop by 50%, and customer retention to drop by 20 or 30. They just put themselves out of business

16 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

I just got YouTube tv/philo combo, 65 total with tax. Got 4 local channels as well and a nice wide range of channels. Only one missing is a weather channel. The DVR is good too. Now that directv now charges 50 and 70 for a shit selection, I predict their new customer sign ups will drop by 50%, and customer retention to drop by 20 or 30. They just put themselves out of business

DirecTV Now promised me I can keep my "Go Big" package even though it's not available to new customers, however my price will be increasing by $10/month starting in May (still will have my $25 early customer credit).

But yeah, the new packages and price seem like terrible options. Not sure how many new customers they really expect to get... those who are looking for streaming services are much more likely to do their research and compare options, and DirecTV Now is now one of the worst options by far

Just re-subscribed to ESPN+ and will subscribe to Disney+.  This in addition to my Amazon Prime subscription...it's more than enough.

I can always subscribe to Sling TV for Pac-12 football and basketball.

Disney+ is going to be $6.99 per month along with ESPN+ for $4.99 (I think a price hike is coming sooner than later) and Amazon Prime is $12.99 per month.  Those three for $25 per month...what a great deal.

29 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Disney+ is going to be $6.99 per month along with ESPN+ for $4.99 (I think a price hike is coming sooner than later) and Amazon Prime is $12.99 per month.  Those three for $25 per month...what a great deal.

How much do you pay for your high speed internet connection?

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I’m interested in what you use for high speed internets. I’m likely cutting the cord this month, but am not sure where I’ll get internet service. 

8 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

I’m interested in what you use for high speed internet. I’m likely cutting the cord this month, but am not sure where I’ll get internet service. 

See, that's the thing. Many talk as though cutting the cord is some ultimate money saving panacea but when I do the math it ultimately all comes out about the same.

With that being said, I did cut the cord a couple years ago after my kid's buddy threw a Wii controller thru my TV. I subsequently bought a "streaming TV (TCL Roku TV at Costco) and dropped my cable package. I'm paying $60/month for 100 Mbps service from Spectrum (just tested I'm getting 115 down and 12 up). I'm paying $15/mo for Netflix and $13/mo for Prime (thinking about dropping Prime). For ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, TNT, TBS, etc... I use my sister's Uverse account and she uses my Netflix and Amazon accounts.

Anyway, with fees, I'm still paying about $93/mo total. For about the same amount, I could probably have a pretty good cable bundle from Spectrum.

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

See, that's the thing. Many talk as though cutting the cord is some ultimate money saving panacea but when I do the math it ultimately all comes out about the same.

With that being said, I did cut the cord a couple years ago after my kid's buddy threw a Wii controller thru my TV. I subsequently bought a "streaming TV (TCL Roku TV at Costco) and dropped my cable package. I'm paying $60/month for 100 Mbps service from Spectrum (just tested I'm getting 115 down and 12 up). I'm paying $15/mo for Netflix and $13/mo for Prime (thinking about dropping Prime). For ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, TNT, TBS, etc... I use my sister's Uverse account and she uses my Netflix and Amazon accounts.

Anyway, with fees, I'm still paying about $93/mo total. For about the same amount, I could probably have a pretty good cable bundle from Spectrum.

Thanks for laying out your experiences. 

I had a Spectrum salesperson knock on my front door last Friday. He quoted me $110/month for a package with everything I’m likely to watch (plus all the crap I don’t) and an upgrade to whatever their high speed internet plan is called, locked in for two years. I’m very tempted. This would save $30-40/month over the Dish plan we currently have with much higher connection speed and a DVR, which I’ve never had. At the rate price increases are accumulating for the various streaming services, it’ll probably be less expensive for Spectrum service before I’d finish the contract. 

I still need to double check what streaming services I’d likely use and what price I’d need to pay for internet service to see if I’d end up near the Spectrum price, but I do like the idea of not having to adjust my service package every other month as prices increase. 

35 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Eh, Depends on where you’re at I guess. I saved about about $60-70/month cutting the cord. Replaced cable with Hulu and an OTA antenna. Also have Prime and ESPN+, but I order enough stuff to make Prime worth it, so I’d have it regardless. Also a big UFC fan, so I’d subscribe to ESPN+ even if I had cable. 

For me, cutting the cord is still viable. I have the 100 mps internet from spectrum. They are charging 60/month if bundled with TV and 66/month without. I'm paying 153/month tax included for the silver package plus internet. So dping the math including taxes on the bundle as a whole that means TV is 88/month including tax. I also have Netflix at 15/month, soon to be 18, and Hulu at 6/month.

I just switched to YouTube TV plus Philo which until May 13th is 60/month combined(Ytv 40 and Philo 20), and I get all the channels I want. After May 13th YouTube TV will be 50/month instead of 40/month. However, they are adding 10 more channels, which include discovery, food, and travel, 3 channels I watch regularly. So, at 70/month it's still 18/month cheaper than Spectrums mid tier. If YoutubeTV addsthe remaining discovery networks and adds A&E networks and Viacom networks and only raises it to 60/month, then I'll drop Philo and will still be saving 28/month over Spectrum

23 hours ago, renoskier said:

Can you cancel your TV subscription without penalty from those cable companies?  That has got to factor in your decision making.

I'd love to cut the chord and go with streaming, but our internet connection is just too unstable. We have days where our internet connection is 50 mbps for few hours then drops off to 5 mbps then other days we have the equivalency of dial-up. Can anyone recommend a "good" internet provider that has stable connection speeds? We currently have AT&T and I used Bright House but they were terrible.  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg