Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

Top American Athletic Conference Bowl game through 2025

Best American Bowl game tie-in?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be a rarer occurrence for an American football team?

• Playing as the automatic qualifier in a New Year's Six Bowl
    • Playing in the Liberty Bowl game versus Big 12/SEC
  2. 2. TOP AMERICAN BOWL MATCHUP

• Military Bowl in Annapolis, Maryland v. ACC
    • Bowl game to be named in Fenway Park v. ACC
    • Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth v. At large Biannually
    • Hawaii Bowl v. Hawaii/MWC or BYU Biannually
    • One of any four of the eight bowl games ESPN Events owns and operates
    • Backup to the Liberty Bowl

On 4/26/2019 at 2:01 PM, Bruininthebay said:

Translation: Our conference sucks balls but that's OK because the MWC sucks worse.

It's reminiscent of the typical right-wing Republican defense of Donald Trump vis-a-vis Hillary Clinton.

Boom goes the dynamite.

the which bowl is better thing has a lot to do with geography...

Memphis will tell you Birmingham because it's close and we like playing SEC schools.

Temple or ECU will say Military because it's closer and they prefer to play ACC schools.

but of course I'd prefer the Peach or Fiesta bowls :-)

I do feel the MWC will get somewhere between 25-30 million for their contract and it'll be CBS/ESPN+ but that's just a guess.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

the which bowl is better thing has a lot to do with geography...

Memphis will tell you Birmingham because it's close and we like playing SEC schools.

Temple or ECU will say Military because it's closer and they prefer to play ACC schools.

but of course I'd prefer the Peach or Fiesta bowls :-)

I do feel the MWC will get somewhere between 25-30 million for their contract and it'll be CBS/ESPN+ but that's just a guess.

My guess is 1.5 to 1.7 per year, with equal revenue sharing. 

At that figure, is it more advantageous to go all digital and control start times?

Perhaps.

Or perhaps not.

I'd guess Facebook and/or Stadium will be involved in that. However, maybe Hair will try to negotiate an ESPN streaming deal... but will that help the conference versus a partner who would give the MWC its undivided attention?

I don't know what I would do if I were him. Tough spot.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Balzac said:

My guess is 1.5 to 1.7 per year, with equal revenue sharing. 

At that figure, is it more advantageous to go all digital and control start times?

Perhaps.

Or perhaps not.

I'd guess Facebook and/or Stadium will be involved in that. However, maybe Hair will try to negotiate an ESPN streaming deal... but will that help the conference versus a partner who would give the MWC its undivided attention?

I don't know what I would do if I were him. Tough spot.

personally I feel like if the MWC goes equal revenue sharing they will easily pull 30 million per year which works out to 2.5 per team. That would allow the MWC to just give Hawai'i a full share and cut off all travel subsides to them. It would also put them head and shoulders above the Belt, CUSA, and MAC in both money and exposure IMHO  

mem skyline sig.jpeg

16 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

personally I feel like if the MWC goes equal revenue sharing they will easily pull 30 million per year which works out to 2.5 per team. That would allow the MWC to just give Hawai'i a full share and cut off all travel subsides to them. It would also put them head and shoulders above the Belt, CUSA, and MAC in both money and exposure IMHO  

I just don't see how revenue goes up - at all - if they carve Boise out.

Is Wyoming FB that much more valuable than Old Dominion?

ODU is getting 400K (and that deal included Southern Miss and Marshall, who were the original Boises). They also do CBS Sports and Facebook.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/article_035d751a-27d6-11e8-a537-5bf6c33fcc22.html

giphy.gif

Just now, Balzac said:

I just don't see how revenue goes up - at all - if they carve Boise out.

Is Wyoming FB that much more valuable than Old Dominion?

ODU is getting 400K (and that deal included Southern Miss and Marshall, who were the original Boises). They also do CBS Sports and Facebook.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/article_035d751a-27d6-11e8-a537-5bf6c33fcc22.html

they still have valuable properties like UNLV, SDSU, and Nevada hoops plus the fact they're one of the few west coast properties available for a 'value' cost....unlike the Pac-12.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

ALOHA STADIUM UPDATE

https://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/stadium-authority-announces-plans-for-new-stadium-location/1884850834

On March 29, 2019 it was announced that Aloha Stadium will be rebuilt at the current Halawa site.  Check the link for details about how still undetermined nearly everything else is because every single politician in Hawaii is involved.

For the purposes of this poll, presume that there are brand new hotel facilities within walking distance of Aloha stadium that are not available now.   The accommodations should be nice (what isn't in Hawaii at this point?) and easily the best of the AAC's "top three" annual bowl games.
I'm sure Birmingham has perfectly fine hotels, but new Aloha stadium adjacent hotels in an entertainment district will FAR exceed whatever experience that could be had in Birmingham or in Annapolis.  Come to think of it - Annapolis probably has better hotel accommodations than Birmingham does either.

3 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

ALOHA STADIUM UPDATE

https://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/stadium-authority-announces-plans-for-new-stadium-location/1884850834

On March 29, 2019 it was announced that Aloha Stadium will be rebuilt at the current Halawa site.  Check the link for details about how still undetermined nearly everything else is because every single politician in Hawaii is involved.

For the purposes of this poll, presume that there are brand new hotel facilities within walking distance of Alohas stadium that are not available now.   The accommodations should be nice (what isn't in Hawaii at this point?) and easily the best of the AAC's "top three" annual bowl games.
I'm sure Birmingham has perfectly fine hotels, but newl Aloha stadium adjacent hotels in an entertainment district will FAR exceed whatever experience that could be had in Birmingham or in Annapolis.  Come to think of it - Annapolis probably has better hotel accommodations than Birmingham does either.

Birmingham Bowl is about to be top notch with their new 45,000 seat stadium being built...

https://www.al.com/news/2019/04/protective-life-gets-naming-rights-for-birminghams-new-stadium.html

UBUO3GONSJHCZDS7V67UBJYXF4.jpg

BPJRHKVSM5FK7CTEIUTH2Y6FEM.jpg

mem skyline sig.jpeg

7 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Birmingham Bowl is about to be top notch with their new 45,000 seat stadium being built...

https://www.al.com/news/2019/04/protective-life-gets-naming-rights-for-birminghams-new-stadium.html

UBUO3GONSJHCZDS7V67UBJYXF4.jpg

BPJRHKVSM5FK7CTEIUTH2Y6FEM.jpg

To be operated by UAB, its primary tenant.

A CUSA school.

Just saying.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

A stadium of lesser architectural distinction than Canvas Stadium in a state where marijuana isn't legal.

Those renderings are extremely unimpressive, especially considering we all just saw years of Colorado State renderings of much higher quality architecture.

Both the new San Diego State and Aloha Stadiums will be of architectural significance - especially the new Aloha Stadium.

10 minutes ago, RSF said:

To be operated by UAB, its primary tenant.

A CUSA school.

Just saying.

being built and owned by the City of Birmingham. It will cost 175 million and is attached on one side to the 760 room Sheraton Hotel

185135278.jpg

and the 19,000 seat Legacy Arena on the other side.

Legacy-Arena-Today.jpg?ssl=1

most folks from Memphis, Cincy, Dallas, or New Orleans can't afford to drop everything and fly to Hawai'i...but they can do a weekend trip to Birmingham.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

ALOHA STADIUM UPDATE

For the purposes of this poll, presume that there are brand new hotel facilities within walking distance of Aloha stadium that are not available now.   The accommodations should be nice (what isn't in Hawaii at this point?) and easily the best of the AAC's "top three" annual bowl games.
I'm sure Birmingham has perfectly fine hotels, but new Aloha stadium adjacent hotels in an entertainment district will FAR exceed whatever experience that could be had in Birmingham or in Annapolis.  Come to think of it - Annapolis probably has better hotel accommodations than Birmingham does either.

The MAC, Sunbelt, and CUSA will be very appreciative of the effort when they meet the MW runner up there on Christmas Eve from 2020-2026.  

8 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

The MAC, Sunbelt, and CUSA will be very appreciative of the effort when they meet the MW runner up there on Christmas Eve from 2020-2026.  

That spot is reserved for Hawaii, if bowl eligible, each season. The MWC does not assign bowl spots, outside of its champion, based on order of finish.

45 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

https://watchstadium.com/news/fenway-park-host-bowl-game-between-acc-aac-teams-04-30-2019/

AAC vs ACC at Fenway Park will join Birmingham, Military, and the Access Bowl as our premier bowl games

cut.jpg

Dont be surprised if the AAC adds a couple of more bowls vs the P5.  The Ft Worth, Indy, and First Responders are all G5 vs P5 bowls that are in the AAC footprint.  The stated primary goal of the AAC this bowl cycle is to maximize the number of bowl games vs P5 opponents---I would also bet another goal is to exit any G5 vs G5 bowls that are outside the AAC footprint. 

4 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Dont be surprised if the AAC adds a couple of more bowls vs the P5.  The Ft Worth, Indy, and First Responders are all G5 vs P5 bowls that are in the AAC footprint.  The stated primary goal of the AAC this bowl cycle is to maximize the number of bowl games vs P5 opponents---I would also bet another goal is to exit any G5 vs G5 bowls that are outside the AAC footprint. 

Playing against the #12 ACC no doubt.  Big Whoop.

11 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Playing against the #12 ACC no doubt.  Big Whoop.

Who knows?   Admittedly,  the opponent being a 6-6 or 7-5 ACC team is pretty darn likely.  That said, there are enough G5's on each AAC teams annual schedule.   I like the idea of catching a P5 in the bowl.  Another G5 vs G5 game just doesnt sound like much of a post season reward.   At least getting to play a P5 in the bowl is something a little different.  If things break right during the current cycle of bowl negotiations, as many as 6 of the AAC's seven bowl ties for 2020-2026 could have P5 opponents (not counting the access bowl).  It aint the Sugar Bowl, but getting most bowl qualified AAC teams a bowl vs a P5 would be a solid incremental improvement in the leagues bowl line up.    

3 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Who knows?   Admittedly,  the opponent being a 6-6 or 7-5 ACC team is pretty darn likely.  That said, there are enough G5's on each AAC teams annual schedule.   I like the idea of catching a P5 in the bowl.  Another G5 vs G5 game just doesnt sound like much of a post season reward.   At least getting to play a P5 in the bowl is something a little different.  If things break right during the current cycle of bowl negotiations, as many as 6 of the AAC's seven bowl ties for 2020-2026 could have P5 opponents (not counting the access bowl).  It aint the Sugar Bowl, but getting most bowl qualified AAC teams a bowl vs a P5 would be a solid incremental improvement in the leagues bowl line up.    

The thing about that is it will be one of the best AAC teams to line up against the worst ACC.