Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokebball

Should illegal immigrants be allowed to vote?

2 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Nah they shouldn’t vote but they should be allowed some kind of legal status and pathway to attain the right to vote  

Why, because they broke the law fair and square?   So now they should jump in front of people who obeyed the law?

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

Come on.  Nobody is arguing for that or even believes that.  At least nobody here that I know of.  

Ummm.... I haven't seen anyone here arguing for open borders and/or allowing illegals or minors to vote but some apparently seem to think that argument has been made.

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

It's a stupid phucking holiday.....moves around all the time.

Jesus Christ, just pick a day.....to ascend.

Well it's always around the equinox, and Christmas is like really close to the solstice...hey wait a second.

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

Why, because they broke the law fair and square?   So now they should jump in front of people who obeyed the law?

Because practicality is important. 

The Fairness and justice of a pathway to legal status are debateable here, especially when there was free movement on the border for centuries before arbitrary lines were drawn up (as the result of brutality and war perpetrated by the US government) and the fact that push factors for many immigrants have something do to with US policy in Central America. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

4 hours ago, mugtang said:

I disagree. People who entered our country illegally should not be able to have a pathway to citizenship. I do agree that they should be given legal residency but their punishment for breaking our immigration laws should be they are never allowed to obtain US citizenship.  What kind of message does that send to those who have waited in line and gone through the process the right way?  

Edit:  I do think we should give the DACA recipients citizenship though. They shouldn’t be punished for the crimes of their parents. 

This is a reasonable compromise

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Just now, youngrebelfan40 said:

Because practicality is important. 

So to be consistent if I steal all your money.   I should be able to keep it because it would be impractical to give it back right?

1 minute ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

The Fairness and justice of a pathway to legal status are debateable here, especially when there was free movement on the border for centuries before arbitrary lines were drawn up (as the result of brutality and war perpetrated by the US government) and the fact that push factors for many immigrants have something do to with US policy in Central America. 

Every industrialized country in the world controls its borders.  Every law ever passed has people who disagree with it.   There is nothing arbitrary about border controls and immigration.  You are just making excuses for criminality.   U.S. policy in central america has nothing to do with border controls or the criminality of breaking our laws.

You just can't face the facts that your relatives are criminals.

So what are you going to tell my friend David from Mexico City who has waited 14 years to immigrate legally.   That he should wait another 14 years because your criminal cousin gets to step in front of him.

Your whole schtick makes no sense.

Again, If I kill you why bother prosecuting me, it isn't practical, I pay a lot of taxes, I am generally a nice guy.   This is your justification.

I am all for changing immigration policy.  The racist democratic policies we have had in place for decades have never made any sense.  We need the labor and forcing them to break the law to come work while forcing our businessmen to break the law to hire them is ridiculous.  These democratic party polices are the reason we have dreamers and all the other problems because laws have not been enforced.   Your suggestion to ignore law is the biggest problem we have.  It keeps politicians from having to fix a broken system.

9 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

This is a reasonable compromise

Which is why it’ll never happen.  Our politicians should mwcboard more.  They would run into legit solutions to problems.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater