Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokebball

Should illegal immigrants be allowed to vote?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/mar/8/house-votes-favor-illegal-immigrant-voting/

House Democrats voted Friday to defend localities that allow illegal immigrants to vote in their elections, turning back a GOP attempt to discourage the practice.

The vote marks a stunning reversal from just six months ago, when the chamber — then under GOP control — voted to decry illegal immigrant voting.

The 228-197 vote came as part of a broader debate on Democrats’ major legislative priority this year, HR 1, the “For the People Act,” which includes historic expansions of voter registration and access, as well as a major rewrite of campaign finance laws.

“It sounds like I’m making it up. What kind of government would cancel the vote of its own citizens, and replace it with noncitizens?” said Rep. Dan Crenshaw, Texas Republican.

He pointed to last year’s vote, when 49 Democrats joined the GOP to decry noncitizen voting.

On Friday just six Democrats voted in favor.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

People in this country illegally should have zero right to participate in the political process. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

What a +++++ing joke. 

They're cutting their own throats, politically. They're going to give back any gains they made in the suburbs. The DNC clownshow continues. 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

what

San Francisco allows illegals to vote in some elections. I'm sure others do the same thing. 

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-san-francisco-election-immigration-20181026-story.html

Very misleading article. Completely ignores the larger components of a 600-page bill. There are localities that have proposed allowing non-citizens to vote in local elections, but this bill does nothing to change the fact that non-citizens cannot vote in elections. The primary focus of the bill is easing voter registration and discouraging gerrymandering. In addition, it provides funding for DHS to become involved in ballot and election security.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Very misleading article. Completely ignores the larger components of a 600-page bill. There are localities that have proposed allowing non-citizens to vote in local elections, but this bill does nothing to change the fact that non-citizens cannot vote in elections. The primary focus of the bill is easing voter registration and discouraging gerrymandering. In addition, it provides funding for DHS to become involved in ballot and election security.

They're already voting in local elections. Not to mention the tomfoolery of ballot harvesting. 

And if you think "it's only local elections"...well, you probably also believe in the Easter Bunny. 

I mean, let’s just be honest here. Many Democrats want fully open borders with zero immigration controls and to allow as many people as possible who come across to vote so as to gain and remain in control. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Only white, male, land owning citizens should vote.

Come on.  Nobody is arguing for that or even believes that.  At least nobody here that I know of.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

The SF law allows non-citizens to vote in the school board elections. As they say "If people have children in our schools, they should have a say in the schools." I can understand that logic. Not really agreeing with it but I get it.  Idon't think it is a good idea to include this in the bill since it isn't a hill worth dying on. small reward and bad optics but if SF wants to let non-citizens vote in the local school board elections, it doesn't effect me at all.

Non-citizens can't vote in federal elections. This is a scare tactic to attack H.R. 1 which in my opinion does some good things and things I don't think I support.

4 minutes ago, tspoke said:

The SF law allows non-citizens to vote in the school board elections. As they say "If people have children in our schools, they should have a say in the schools." I can understand that logic. Not really agreeing with it but I get it.  Idon't think it is a good idea to include this in the bill since it isn't a hill worth dying on. small reward and bad optics but if SF wants to let non-citizens vote in the local school board elections, it doesn't effect me at all.

Non-citizens can't vote in federal elections. This is a scare tactic to attack H.R. 1 which in my opinion does some good things and things I don't think I support.

Easter Bunny Time. 

Just now, tspoke said:

?

Sure lent just started so in around 40 days.

As I said earlier, if you think they only vote in School Board elections, you also probably believe in the Easter Bunny. 

I'm not writing you completely off. I've heard many convincing arguments for the Easter Bunny too. I have many nieces and nephews. 

15 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Only white, male, land owning citizens should vote.

You’re better than this Toons. Take the high road and leave the flame posts to assholes like me. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

As I said earlier, if you think they only vote in School Board elections, you also probably believe in the Easter Bunny. 

I'm not writing you completely off. I've heard many convincing arguments for the Easter Bunny too. I have many nieces and nephews. 

Well. If they are voting for more than school board elections, they are doing it illegally so not sure how a law allowing them to vote only for school board would change anything. Without this law it would be illegal to vote and with this law its illegal to vote for anything other than school board so nothing changes in regard to voting in other elections.

As far as the easter bunny, if he exists he has been skipping me for a long time so he can go to hell if he's real.

Just now, tspoke said:

Well. If they are voting for more than school board elections, they are doing it illegally so not sure how a law allowing them to vote only for school board would change anything. Without this law it would be illegal to vote and with this law its illegal to vote for anything other than school board so nothing changes in regard to voting in other elections.

As far as the easter bunny, if he exists he has been skipping me for a long time so he can go to hell if he's real.

Easter Bunny skips my house too.  Shit. When is Easter this year?