Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

Wyoming ad "The World Needs More Cowboys" branded a success

I probably should have posted this in the non-sports board, but I wanted to recognize the Pokes and help give them their day in the sun.

Hoping the spirit of their campaign rubs off on us in Santa Barbara.  We're Cowboys too...

4 hours ago, pokebball said:

from the linked WSJ article.....

After Evergreen State and the University of Missouri caved to identity-politics demands, they were shunned by alumni, parents, prospective students and fans. Those are cautionary tales, but the University of Wyoming provides a counterpoint. Turns out there are rewards for not yielding to campus radicals.

Administrators elsewhere, take heart and cowboy up. The social-justice warriors may try to lasso you into submission, but they don’t reflect genuine public opinion.

AMEN!

Yeah, really cool if you're big into misogyny and what not.  Bunch of freaking rednecks anyway.

OK, to be honest, I thought it was a pretty brilliant campaign and really enjoyed reading where it pissed off a bunch of liberal professors.  Good job pokes.

It was one professor who complained before the ad even came out and then the ad came out and dunked on all the complaints about the ad. If  I was a conspiracy guy I would have to wonder if it was orchestrated between the University and the professor to build up some outrage to the outrage and gain more attention for the campaign and the school.

I didn't like the slogan because I thought it was half-assed.  I think the rest of the campaign is pretty sharp though.

Gannett_2.jpg.404db0bd7deb615b1ec5699694fae130.jpg

31 minutes ago, tspoke said:

It was one professor who complained before the ad even came out and then the ad came out and dunked on all the complaints about the ad. If  I was a conspiracy guy I would have to wonder if it was orchestrated between the University and the professor to build up some outrage to the outrage and gain more attention for the campaign and the school.

The result of the marketing campaign, along with the responses to the faculty objections, have to be greater than any expectations the Trustees and marketing company had.  I think the objections from faculty were sincere and their objections and the  responses to their objections only fueled the campaign, making it much more successful.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

10 minutes ago, pokebball said:

The result of the marketing campaign, along with the responses to the faculty objections, have to be greater than any expectations the Trustees and marketing company had.  I think the objections from faculty were sincere and their objections and the  responses to their objections only fueled the campaign, making it much more successful.

I agree. That's why I said "If I was a conspiracy guy".

I actually thought the massive amount of backlash was overblown. It was one professor from what I remember(maybe it was more than one) that wrote a letter in the local paper. She was wrong but the amount of coverage it got seemed overblown. It ended up being a great thing for the coverage and for the university but initially it got an eyeroll from me.

The only thing people love more than being outraged is being outraged at others misplaced outrage.

23 hours ago, wyorev said:

I didn't like the slogan because I thought it was half-assed.  I think the rest of the campaign is pretty sharp though.

That was how i felt when i first heard it but it works really well to tie the whole, well done campaign together.  

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.