Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokebball

Athlon's preseason football rankings out

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-rankings-top-130-teams-pre-spring-2019?amp

122. San Jose State
College Football Rankings: San Jose State isn’t an easy job, and coach Brent Brennan is clearly in the midst of a major rebuild with a 3-22 record over the last two years. Both sides of the ball need marked improvement. The Spartans averaged only 21.2 points a game and surrendered 36.6 last fall. Receiver Tre Walker (18.3 ypc in ’18) needs more opportunities this season.
117. New Mexico
Bob Davie is facing a make-or-break year in Albuquerque, and the Lobos enter the 2019 season riding a seven-game losing streak. After last year’s three-win campaign, Davie made a few tweaks to his coaching staff and will have new coordinators on both sides of the ball. The defense lost nine of its top 11 tacklers, and there’s room to improve on an offense that lost 26 turnovers and ranked eighth in the Mountain West in scoring (26.6 ppg). In order to escape the bottom of the Mountain Division, New Mexico needs more consistency out of its quarterbacks.
105. UNLV
With a new stadium on the way, there’s no shortage of pressure for coach Tony Sanchez to get UNLV to the postseason in 2019. In order to hit six victories, the Rebels need to improve a defense that surrendered 37.2 points a game in ’18. Sanchez also needs a healthy year out of quarterback Armani Rogers, especially with running back Lexington Thomas out of eligibility.
103. Colorado State
The Rams won seven games in each of coach Mike Bobo’s first three years in Fort Collins but slumped to 3-9 last fall. Getting back to the postseason will require marked improvement on defense after Colorado State surrendered 36.8 points a game. Additionally, Nebraska transfer Patrick O’Brien will compete with Collin Hill for the starting quarterback spot, but a new go-to receiver must emerge after Preston Williams left early for the NFL.
96. Nevada
The Wolf Pack showed marked improvement in coach Jay Norvell’s second season. However, getting back to a bowl in 2019 won’t be easy. Nevada loses quarterback Ty Gangi, a couple of starters in the trenches, and a handful of key defenders, including Korey Rush, Malik Reed, Dameon Baber, and Asauni Rufus. The cupboard isn’t bare, however. Running back Toa Taua and linebacker Gabriel Sewell are two candidates for All-Mountain West honors and will ease the transition on both sides of the ball.
94. Wyoming
The Cowboys just missed a trip to a bowl last year at 6-6, but there’s optimism to return to a winning mark in 2019. Quarterback Sean Chambers showed potential in limited action, receiver C.J. Johnson is back after missing ’18 due to injury, and a young offensive line should take a step forward. Leading rusher Nico Evans, and a handful of key defenders – including standout safety Andrew Wingard – have expired their eligibility.
92. Air Force
All seven of Air Force’s losses in 2018 came by 10 points or less. That should provide plenty of optimism for coach Troy Calhoun’s team in 2019, especially with most of the depth chart slated to return. Leading rusher Cole Fagan (997 yards) is back to anchor the ground game, while Donald Hammond will benefit from a full offseason to work as the starting quarterback.
88. Hawaii
Coach Nick Rolovich’s team took a big step forward last fall, jumping from three wins in 2017 to an 8-6 mark. Another winning season is within reach for the Rainbow Warriors, especially with plenty of firepower coming back. Cole McDonald and Chevan Cordeiro will compete for the starting job under center, while Cedric Byrd and JoJo Ward are set as the top options at receiver after John Ursua left early for the NFL. Two units that need to step up – offensive line and defense – will return largely intact.
46. Fresno State
The reigning Mountain West champs will be busy restocking the roster this spring. Coach Jeff Tedford’s offense must replace quarterback Marcus McMaryion, receiver KeeSean Johnson, and four starters up front. A defense that held teams to 14.1 points a game in 2018 lost linebacker Jeff Allison and safety Mike Bell early to the NFL. However, this unit should be strong once again, especially with Mykal Walker (14 TFL in ’18) back to create havoc off the edge.
45. San Diego State
The Aztecs started 6-1 last fall but finished with only one win over their last six contests. Coach Rocky Long should get this team back on track this spring, as a healthy Juwan Washington at running back should make a big difference after he was limited to nine games due to injury. Quarterback Ryan Agnew gained valuable experience due to Christian Chapman’s injury last fall and will assume the No. 1 spot under center. Linebacker Kyahva Tezino will be one of the Mountain West’s top returning defenders and is set to anchor a unit that held teams to just 22.2 points a game last season.
31. Utah State
The Aggies tied a school record with 11 victories last season and should push for double-digit wins once again behind new coach Gary Andersen. Quarterback Jordan Love and linebacker David Woodward are two of the top Group of 5 players in the nation. Andersen and his staff do have a few holes to fill this offseason. Utah State’s offensive line must be retooled, dynamic running back Darwin Thompson left early for the NFL, and the receiving corps lost its top five pass catchers (yardage) from 2018.
28. Boise State
Coach Bryan Harsin’s team opened spring practice with two significant question marks on offense. Who steps up to replace quarterback Brett Rypien, and who emerges as the go-to running back with Alexander Mattison off to the NFL? A defense that allowed only 22.1 points a game last season returns largely intact and should keep the Broncos in the mix to be the top Group of 5 team until the pieces fall into place on offense.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

With as much as we replace, i can't really argue with mid-40s.  I don't think Reyna will be much of a dropoff from McMaryion (honestly, shoot me, but i think he'll be just as good), but there's no denying the turnover at WR and on the OL.    Love the talent at those spots - WR has absolutely been our best-recruited position under tedford - but there's not a ton of experience yet....check back in 2020.

12 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Utah State is too high and Air Force is way too low. You missed Hawaii at 88, also. Hopefully the MW does better than having eight teams finish in the bottom 32 teams. 

Hawaii is still in the MWC?

I added them.  

The World Needs More Cowboys!

37 minutes ago, Cincy said:

LOL!  Rent free!

He’s just jealous that in the span of four seasons, Bobo only has two more wins than Tedford has amassed in only two seasons. 

51 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Utah State is too high and Air Force is way too low. You missed Hawaii at 88, also. Hopefully the MW does better than having eight teams finish in the bottom 32 teams. 

Does this mean you have officially jumped off our bandwagon? You called so much correct about USU last year - FB and BB. Now you just throw us aside like yesterday's newspaper?

6 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Does this mean you have officially jumped off our bandwagon? You called so much correct about USU last year - FB and BB. Now you just throw us aside like yesterday's newspaper?

@kingpotato's opinion of the aggies is founded in solid logic. We replace: virtually entire coaching staff, our 4 best pass catchers, our best running back, and 4/5 starting OL. That's a lot of IFs. That combined with what might be the hardest G5/MW schedule... big question marks. 

I think next year you'll see a better defense with a little bit less offensive production. Part of that is players, part of it is we play many defenses that have a pulse, unlike last year. We will still beat BYU, though. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Meh.  A lot of guessing IMO.  The comments did little to justify the placement.  Not that my guesses would be destined to be any more accurate, just that I'm smart enough to not publish them.  Or at least do some research before I published them.

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

@kingpotato's opinion of the aggies is founded in solid logic. We replace: virtually entire coaching staff, our 4 best pass catchers, our best running back, and 4/5 starting OL. That's a lot of IFs. That combined with what might be the hardest G5/MW schedule... big question marks. 

I think next year you'll see a better defense with a little bit less offensive production. Part of that is players, part of it is we play many defenses that have a pulse, unlike last year. We will still beat BYU, though. 

honestly I'd love to be picked 9th again LOLZ 

15 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

honestly I'd love to be picked 9th again LOLZ 

Second to last in the mountain division in football. They did well when there weren’t high expectations in hoops and football. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 3/6/2019 at 4:44 PM, TrueAg said:

Too many question marks. One of the things I really liked about them last year was their lines. Losing the OL is really gunna hurt. They led the conference in sacks allowed (non-option) and yards per carry rushing. That's going to take a big hit. Defensively they'll be strong again with two DPOTY candidates, but they just lose way too much offensively. Schedule is a lot tougher, as well. They should be a Bowl team, though. But even that is tight. @Wake, @LSU, @FSU, @SDSU, @AFA, and Boise at home. They'll probably be dogs in all of those games.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:49 PM, madmartigan said:

Pretty much this. I actually think they may be better off with the new staff. Wells is going to be fired within 3 years at TT. I'd argue that "a little less offensive production" is pretty optimistic. They obviously lose a ton, but they played possibly the worst collection of defenses in the country last year. They play a much, much tougher slate of defenses this year. Their production is going to come down fairly significantly. 

On 3/6/2019 at 2:10 PM, pokebball said:

Member when Craig Thompson brought up to MWC presidents the possibility of adding Rice and UTEP?:cheer:

Boom goes the dynamite.