Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

Thad Matta to UNLV?

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

That one year buyout is probably more than the entire Rice & menzies contracts combined - So is Matta going to walk away from free $$ or take on the lower amount UNLV boosters are offering ?!?! 

And with that wording in the buyout of comparable, it gets interesting as well. All this could be speculation as well. UNLV acting president might not want to rock the boat, keep Menzies for another year then maybe bring someone in or the new president brings someone in. 

But one issue is also that some UNLV fans are like UCLA fans. They want to return to where they dominated in the past and anything short of that they will not be happy with and keep looking for someone to get them to that point.

If these numbers are legit and correct............someone at UNLV will have to come up with $2,127,000 to cover what he's owed in base salary & media for 2019/20 then add in $10,000 for the Coke appearances for 2019/20 and that's just covering next year and not part of this 2018/19 contract - This doesn't include the Nike contract at 10 years (2019-2029) at $875,00, this could be renegotiated at UNLV 

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/06/thad_mattas_departure_is_comin.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Firing Thad Matta could cost Ohio State a lot of money.

And if there's any confusion about whether Matta was fired, or if he stepped down or retired, those last two usually don't come with buyouts.

It was certainly an unorthodox firing with Matta and athletic director Gene Smith announcing the move together. But it was a firing nonetheless, as much as Ohio State tried to dance around the word.

Firings can get expensive. Like $9 million expensive.

Matta had three years remaining on a contract extension that he signed in 2012. The final year came via language in the contract that tacked on extra years for Big Ten championships and deep NCAA Tournament runs. A Big Ten Tournament title and an Elite Eight run in 2013 will give Matta some extra cash on his way out.

"Thad's contract will be honored," Smith said Monday. "He has three more years remaining and the particulars of how that will be handled are being worked out, but we will honor the contract."

The exact dollar amount will be revealed in time. But there is language in Matta's contract, which was obtained through an open records request by cleveland.com, that gives an idea of how much this could cost Ohio State.

Matta's contract stipulates that if the contract is terminated by the university without cause, he will be entitled to most of remaining compensation for the final three years of the deal.

That's broken up into four sections: His base salary, money paid for media obligations, money from Ohio State's contract with Nike and money from a required yearly appearance on behalf of the Coca-Cola Company.

That's how most of these head coach contracts are divvied up. The money comes in pieces. Here's a look at the money breakdown as it's stated in Matta's contract:

Base salary

* 2017-18: $827,000

* 2018-19: $852,000

* 2019-20: $877,000

Media obligation money

* 17-18: $1.2 million

* 18-19: $1.225 million

* 19-20: $1.25 million

Nike money

* 17-18: $825,000

* 18-19: $850,000

* 19-29: $875,000

And the required Coca-Cola appearance paid $10,000 per year.

All of that combined adds up to a buyout total of $8,811,000 so roughly $9 million.

That may not be the final number Ohio State ends up at. Smith said some details are still being ironed out, but if the university plans on honoring the remainder of the contract, it should be around this number.

The end of the Thad Matta era will come with expensive price tag.

I still laugh at the fact that people are saying Matta wouldn't be a splash hire and bring in hype to sell tickets.

You're a +++++ing moron if you think UNLV could do any better than that name and honestly, most with a brain would be surprisingly impressed with that hire..including myself.

Poor guy would need to win quick though. No rebuild time at UNLV. Its do or die.

I still think menzies comes back. Gets the Sanchez ultimatum year. Both probably save their jobs in 2019 too.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

3 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

And with that wording in the buyout of comparable, it gets interesting as well. All this could be speculation as well. UNLV acting president might not want to rock the boat, keep Menzies for another year then maybe bring someone in or the new president brings someone in. 

But one issue is also that some UNLV fans are like UCLA fans. They want to return to where they dominated in the past and anything short of that they will not be happy with and keep looking for someone to get them to that point.

If Matta is being paid by OSU thru the 2019/20 season......then it's fiscally best to let Menzies remain thru 2019/20 (Next season) and if he hasn't improved, his contract might be at the end or at least at a lesser buyout 

10 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Like I said...........if the big $$ boosters want to step in and pay off Menzies and pad the amount to ease his hurt feelings and if they want to pony up the $$ to cover the majority of Matta's contracts - then have at it, maybe Menzies walks with enough cash to retire and Matta's years are covered by boosters.

But i'm DRF and boosters carry this much power, then why stick around UNLV?!? Why even have an AD other than to put schedules together.

They aren’t going to pad the amount. The amount is in Menzies contract. They can negotiate how much up front and payment terms but the amount isn’t going to exceed what is stipulated in the contract. 

DRF has some power, obvious she rebuffed the Pitino push by the boosters. The fact is if DRF wants a P5 job, they’ll be boosters with funny money there too. 

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

I still laugh at the fact that people are saying Matta wouldn't be a splash hire and bring in hype to sell tickets.

You're a +++++ing moron of you think UNLV could do any better than that name and honestly, most with a brain would be surprisingly impressed with that hire..including myself.

Poor guy would need to win quick though. No rebuild time at UNLV. Its do or die.

I still think menzies comes back. Gets the Sanchez ultimatum year. Both probably save their jobs in 2019 too.

Matta is a compelling name...........but has he been in touch with recruiting over the last few years and are his connections still there ?? I would suspect some things are in place.

if Menzies does leave, I could see a few players departing, but maybe not to the roster emptying extent that occured after Rice was let go.

But I think your last line is what the reality is............Menzies is brought back for another year, with certain expectations put in place.......that at least gets it out in the light and puts everyone on notice.

Then the results of 2019/20 will determine the fates of Sanchez & Menzies.

23 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Matta does have one year left on his buyout from Ohio St but I also don't see UNLV being listed as comparable to Ohio St for basketball either. If Matta is looking to get back into coaching after being out for two years I would sit back and bide my time to see what jobs were opened and which were coming after me and interested in. IF UCLA is interested in him, they will pay him more than what UNLV can bring together and another advantage is I don't think UCLA administration is a dumpster fire like UNLV is right now

How is UNLV's administration a dumpster fire right now?

Menzies signed a five year contract in 2016 where the final two years of the contract his base salary will be $800,000 a year plus bonuses and incentives. 

So if UNLV fires Menzies they will owe him $1.6 million, then let's say UNLV buys out Matta's last year that could be another $2 million. So that could be over $3 million in money that has be laid out even before talks for a new basketball contract for the new coach. 

With the finances of UNLV and them promising BoR about getting in the green, that could be to much to take on for them.

Let’s also not forget that it’s not just the boosters in DRF’s ear, it’s agents of coaches and apparel companies since UNLV is essentially a free agent for an apparel deal in May. 

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

How is UNLV's administration a dumpster fire right now?

They can't keep a president or AD for long periods of time. For me as a coach I would want to work where there will be a stable adminstration and I don't think UNLV has it.

8 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Matta is a compelling name...........but has he been in touch with recruiting over the last few years and are his connections still there ?? I would suspect some things are in place.

if Menzies does leave, I could see a few players departing, but maybe not to the roster emptying extent that occured after Rice was let go.

But I think your last line is what the reality is............Menzies is brought back for another year, with certain expectations put in place.......that at least gets it out in the light and puts everyone on notice.

Then the results of 2019/20 will determine the fates of Sanchez & Menzies.

Sanchez only got that ultimatum because there were known boosters backing him. DRF had Mora jr ready to sign a contract. 

Im not sure Menzies has any backing in Las Vegas, and probably why he is extremely frustrated.  

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

They can't keep a president or AD for long periods of time. For me as a coach I would want to work where there will be a stable adminstration and I don't think UNLV has it.

Fair enough. I can see that now. Hopefully we get some stability.

3 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Menzies signed a five year contract in 2016 where the final two years of the contract his base salary will be $800,000 a year plus bonuses and incentives. 

So if UNLV fires Menzies they will owe him $1.6 million, then let's say UNLV buys out Matta's last year that could be another $2 million. So that could be over $3 million in money that has be laid out even before talks for a new basketball contract for the new coach. 

With the finances of UNLV and them promising BoR about getting in the green, that could be to much to take on for them.

UNLV only pays Menzies his base salary in the event of a buyout. It’s in the contract. That’s 800k buyout. It’s nothing. 

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

Sanchez only got that ultimatum because there were known boosters backing him. DRF had Mora jr ready to sign a contract. 

Im not sure Menzies has any backing in Las Vegas, and probably why he is extremely frustrated.  

Agree with this - Menzies was 3rd (at best option) after beard & Cronin.........so I imagine Menzies has little backing from boosters & with the program down he's taken the brunt of fans angst 

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

UNLV only pays Menzies his base salary in the event of a buyout. It’s in the contract. That’s 800k buyout. It’s nothing. 

If they fire him after this year they have to pay his base salary for the next two years for 19-20 and 20-21 so that is $1.6 million. he is only in his third year of his 5 year contract. 

6 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Yes. You can hear it in what he says.  He's become resentful.

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

If they fire him after this year they have to pay his base salary for the next two years for 19-20 and 20-21 so that is $1.6 million. he is only in his third year of his 5 year contract. 

His base salary is 400k in each of the next two seasons. That’s 800k. 

Menzies contract is public record, look it up folks.