Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

Thad Matta to UNLV?

13 minutes ago, noloveforrebels said:

sources say that menzies was told at christmas that he would not be back & matta is a done deal

I said this back in dec after Bucknell. His coaches show was brutal. People were actually pissed after valpo. Then indi state happened and his goose was pretty much cooked. Then bucknell and his goose was in the microwave on high.

afa, sdsu, fresno, reno just seems to be making them anxious for the season to be over so MM can be fired. 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

There was an article in the U-T over the last couple weeks where Dutch spoke up on the UNLV AD office's perpetual state of ADD. He spoke of how Marvin deserves four years to show what he can build, considering he was hired with no time to recruit after Chris Beard pulled an 11th hour one of these on you:

1OaV.gif

Philosophically I don't disagree. All things being equal, he should be given a legit chance to turn it around, and 4 years sounds about right. That said, the bottom line is a cruel bitch and the T&M is a morgue. I imagine many who bought season tickets this season are looking at their tickets thinking they went largely unused. Reups could be really rough. I think the fans will have forced the AD's hand at this point.

However, my fear is that we end up making a change for the sake of making a change. I was of the opinion that we couldn't do worse than Rice, but from a purely financial standpoint, I think we probably did (and probably VGK has played a factor here too). This season is the worst in the T&M that I can remember in 35+ yrs.

I’ll say this, it should be a wild coaching carousel this year if some coaches retire. Some rumors that Roy Williams and Coach K may call it a career. If they do, expect some coaches to be poached. UCLA has their sights on Tony Bennett, Muss staying or leaving will have an impact on the MWC. 

41 minutes ago, noloveforrebels said:

menzies needs to go now---it not a matter of a record or time to build a team--its a matter that there are absolutely no fans in the stands,

I’m almost willing to put money down that Thad Matta would not make a huge attendence increase unless he’s winning right off the bat by large numbers and UNLV actually puts their media resources behind them like they did when Zimmerman was the hot recruit... (all this is pure speculation on my part and I have no facts to base this opinion off of)

I’m saying i doubt they got the idea that Thad will increase attendance. It’s about stability in a program...

15 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I think Menzies will be back.  We will see though.  One thing I’ve noticed, however, is that random accounts are popping up on here and claiming to have “sources.”  Hopefully, they’re not public records searches. @Rosegreen

Hopefully these sources don’t pay for sex. You know, like some losers do. 

2 more weeks and we'll know the reality of the situation. within a few weeks after that everything will be pretty much set for next year. 

If a change isn't made they could always use the Cox Pavilion for the games. It might be a better atmosphere for the remaining 2000 fans.

if I'm UNLV I'd look at Donny Daniels. 

I don't know if he wants to be a head coach, but he's been an assistant at three different staffs that have gone to final fours, and is considered to be one of the best recruiters on the West Coast.

9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

if I'm UNLV I'd look at Donny Daniels. 

I don't know if he wants to be a head coach, but he's been an assistant at three different staffs that have gone to final fours, and is considered to be one of the best recruiters on the West Coast.

Safe to say that UNLV has had its fill with career assistant coaches. Grg, Bayno, Rice, Menzies. 

You know what would be hilarious !?? B)

1) UNLV fires Menzies

2) UNLV names Thad Matta as new head coach

3) UCLA offers Thad Matta a week later

4) Thad Matta takes the UCLA job after meeting with UNLV boosters about selling season tickets

5) UNLV is, once again, left holding an empty bag as the 'search committee' scrambles to save the day

6) UNLV ends up hiring whoever is the current coach at UCSB 

WINNING !!! :cheer::cheers:

22 minutes ago, toonkee said:

If you can afford Thad Matta no shits are given about that buyout.

If UNLV is footing the buyout then the public should be concerned over the recent basketball coaching bungling that's literally cost UNLV millions

If the wealthy boosters want to toss bags of cash to buyout menzies, then that's their own stupid money management and we move on with the new guy 

I hear UNLV is just now or recently rid it;self of the Rice buyout, so obviously since the last buyout is finished up, there's a gaping void that UNLV can fill with a new buyout payment plan !!! :str8pimp:

Here is one of the clauses of his buyout from Ohio St. He also had been renovating a house in Indianapolis as well.

The $9 million buyout paid to him by Ohio State stipulates that Matta has to seek "comparable" employment, whether in coaching or the media. 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

If UNLV is footing the buyout then the public should be concerned over the recent basketball coaching bungling that's literally cost UNLV millions

If the wealthy boosters want to toss bags of cash to buyout menzies, then that's their own stupid money management and we move on with the new guy 

I hear UNLV is just now or recently rid it;self of the Rice buyout, so obviously since the last buyout is finished up, there's a gaping void that UNLV can fill with a new buyout payment plan !!! :str8pimp:

That is also why Board of Regents have been watching and been critical of some coaching hires and contracts.

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

That is also why Board of Regents have been watching and been critical of some coaching hires and contracts.

UNLV athletics is bleeding $$ - FB attendance has been horrid and obviously BB attendance has been off big time over the last 6 years.

UNLV moving into the Raiders stadium could end up costing UNLV $$ if attendance doesn't pick up & i'm doubting it will 

UNLV isn't a cash cow that can keep buying out contracts, even lower cost MWC type contracts - so unless this is boosters putting up the $$$ it's just another in the long list of economic hits in the UNLV athletics history 

8 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

You know what would be hilarious !?? B)

1) UNLV fires Menzies

2) UNLV names Thad Matta as new head coach

3) UCLA offers Thad Matta a week later

4) Thad Matta takes the UCLA job after meeting with UNLV boosters about selling season tickets

5) UNLV is, once again, left holding an empty bag as the 'search committee' scrambles to save the day

6) UNLV ends up hiring whoever is the current coach at UCSB 

WINNING !!! :cheer::cheers:

Don’t even joke like that. I’m still suffering irreparable embarrassment from the last search

Just now, Cheek Patch said:

Don’t even joke like that. I’m still suffering irreparable embarrassment from the last search

NEVER discount the UNLV braintrust & boosters with more $$ than brains from seriously screwing things up - It's a UNLV tradition 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV athletics is bleeding $$ - FB attendance has been horrid and obviously BB attendance has been off big time over the last 6 years.

UNLV moving into the Raiders stadium could end up costing UNLV $$ if attendance doesn't pick up & i'm doubting it will 

UNLV isn't a cash cow that can keep buying out contracts, even lower cost MWC type contracts - so unless this is boosters putting up the $$$ it's just another in the long list of economic hits in the UNLV athletics history 

I am trying to remember this accurately so forgive me if I don't. But I am remembering that a few years ago at a Regents meeting the president and AD of UNLV were grilled by Board of Regents about their money issues and I think the President or AD said they think they were going to run in the red for at least 3 more years because of buyouts and all that and then would be able to turn things around. However Board of Regents weren't happy with them about that situation.

IF UNLV fired Menzies and hired Matta, unless boosters are paying most of it, would they be unhappy enough to say no to the contract when UNLV brings it before them?