Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

Thad Matta to UNLV?

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's less than a lateral move. But he's making 1.4 at a school that is called many in and around Texas, "Cougar High."

Vegas could offer him more money and out of a situation where he isn't coaching what amounts to a JV team.

Where is all this money that UNLV supposedly has? And I think Houston gives Sampson a raise. It’s not a school without means.

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Sure. But there aren’t many Mark Fews around.

Or these MWC programs need to find a coach who's been there done/tried that and now just wants to coach for the sake of coaching and not for his resume' & wealth building

Names like Steve Alford (been with P5's) ......Tim Miles (Tim's not the first or the last coach Nebraska chews up & spits out)..........Kelvin Sampson (but see no reason he's leave Houston at this point).......Now one could say Larry Eustachy was of this mold & that didn't work out for CSU

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Where is all this money that UNLV supposedly has? And I think Houston gives Sampson a raise. It’s not a school without means.

UNLV as an athletic dept has no $$$ - Any $$ for a coach that carries a big contract will have to be supplemented by boosters 

5 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

didn't Houston just hire a football coach away from WVU of the Big 12 and renovate their basketball arena to the tune of 40 million dollars? I wouldn't want to get in a bidding war with Houston...just sayin

I would guess that Houston would have the financial backing ready should that program want to make itself another run like it did under Guy Lewis & Phi Slamma Jamma 

6 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

You just wait, Bucko............UNLV is so great and fantastic after 35 years of losing football and 27 years of mediocre basketball, that you would CRAP YOURSELF at the high profile names wanting to come rescue the USS UNLV !!!

I heard from solid sources that the basketball program has these names on a short list: MARK FEW, BILL SELF, RICK PITINO, PHIL JACKSON, PAT RILEY, STEVE KERR, GEORGE POPOVICH all ready to bail on their current jobs and LEAP at the UNLV HC job .............and in football, URBAN MEYER, BOB STOOPS, BILL BELLICHECK, PETE CARROLL, have ALL expressed great interest in taking the UNLV football job 

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE ALLURE of the UNLV BASKETBALL & FOOTBALL jobs to attract great names all paid for and delivered by the UNLV BOOSTERS <<-- This group of geniuses have EVERYTHING set and ready to bring in THE BEST AVAILABLE B)

Wow, I just said some big names would be thrown around for coach of the football team. Never actually mentioned a name, OR that they would come here. Talk about puting words in someone's mouth. Some of you guys are ridiculous and obviously have very low standards for UNLV athletics. Some very interesting names ARE in play for UNLV BBall, but I guess I'm one of those delusional fans that doesn't see how amazing of a coach Menzies is, with all his fantastic accomplishments and past P5 offers that he must've turned down. I wish you could all see how not awesome he is, but you wont get the chance. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I would guess that Houston would have the financial backing ready should that program want to make itself another run like it did under Guy Lewis & Phi Slamma Jamma 

They just did a $60 million renovation of the arena and built a $25 million practice facility. I think that’s what they’re doing.

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Houston should be in the Big XII, but there’s politics involved.  The biggest hurdle is that the other Texas schools don’t want more recruiting competition.

9 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Or these MWC programs need to find a coach who's been there done/tried that and now just wants to coach for the sake of coaching and not for his resume' & wealth building

Names like Steve Alford (been with P5's) ......Tim Miles (Tim's not the first or the last coach Nebraska chews up & spits out)..........Kelvin Sampson (but see no reason he's leave Houston at this point).......Now one could say Larry Eustachy was of this mold & that didn't work out for CSU

My point is that there is a reason why Mark Few is always the example used. And that’s because there aren’t many non-power 6 coaches who have made the choice he has made.

1 minute ago, Amaru523 said:

Wow, I just said some big names would be thrown around for coach of the football team. Never actually mentioned a name, OR that they would come here. Talk about puting words in someone's mouth. Some of you guys are ridiculous and obviously have very low standards for UNLV athletics. Some very interesting names ARE in play for UNLV BBall, but I guess I'm one of those delusional fans that doesn't see how amazing of a coach Menzies is, with all his fantastic accomplishments and past P5 offers that he must've turned down. I wish you could all see how not awesome he is, but you wont get the chance. Sorry.

There's reality and there's fantasy - knowing where to draw the line is the key

I was obviously being facetious especially where FB is concerned ;).........BB has more national panache than FB 

For a name anyone's heard of to take on UNLV FB is probably another John Robinson type who's basically at the end of his career and wants another taste of coaching.........but while JRob did do some nice things as UNLV FB coach, he too, like most of the coaches was chewed up and spit out. :(

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

They just did a $60 million renovation of the arena and built a $25 million practice facility. I think that’s what they’re doing.

Could be positioning themselves should the golden phone call come................UNLV is on that same path with the BB practice facility, the new FB specific facility and moving over to the Raiders Stadium 

Now will the phone call come?!?! Who knows..........but facilities wise UNLV should be in the top 3 of all the MWC programs across the board 

6 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Houston should be in the Big XII, but there’s politics involved.  The biggest hurdle is that the other Texas schools don’t want more recruiting competition.

Which might be true, but also is weird that they accepted TCU .........and I'm not sure Houston doesn't bring more to the table overall than TCU for the B12 :shrug:

9 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

You sound like a hater lol 

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

My point is that there is a reason why Mark Few is always the example used. And that’s because there aren’t many non-power 6 coaches who have made the choice he has made.

Agree - Few though didn't start up the Gonzaga phenomenon, but he took it to it's highest levels - Dan Monson (son of former Idaho & Oregon coach Don Monson) got Gonzaga revved up & Few took over and raised the bar after about 4 years of matching Monson - Monson left after 1999 & Few's first major season 03/04 as a two seed 

Gonzaga BB is sort of like Boise St FB......another guy started it, but ensuing coaches took it to higher levels.........though BSU has gone thru more coaches than Gonzaga 

you also have to remember that Kelvin was Assoc HC with the Houston Rockets for 4 seasons before the Cougars hired him away...I think he's made it pretty clear he likes it in Houston.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

50 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Former governor Ann Richards screwed them and made the big 12 take Baylor. Houston will get in next time around.

7 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Former governor Ann Richards screwed them and made the big 12 take Baylor. Houston will get in next time around.

Cincy will get in before Houston.  B12 doesn't want or need another texas school.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Agree - Few though didn't start up the Gonzaga phenomenon, but he took it to it's highest levels - Dan Monson (son of former Idaho & Oregon coach Don Monson) got Gonzaga revved up & Few took over and raised the bar after about 4 years of matching Monson - Monson left after 1999 & Few's first major season 03/04 as a two seed 

Gonzaga BB is sort of like Boise St FB......another guy started it, but ensuing coaches took it to higher levels.........though BSU has gone thru more coaches than Gonzaga 

Monson started it with the great elite 8 run. But both and Few and Monson were Zags assistant since th late 80s, so it’s not like was a passive observer . Few also was elevated and promptly took them to sweet 16s in his first two years. At any rate, he’s never coached anywhere else. Dude is a unicorn. And speaking of that 03-04 team...

Edit: i don’t know what’s going on with the embedding. Fire @mugtang!

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Monson started it with the great elite 8 run. But both and Few and Monson were Zags assistant since th late 80s, so it’s not like was a passive observer . Few also was elevated and promptly took them to sweet 16s in his first two years. At any rate, he’s never coached anywhere else. Dude is a unicorn. And speaking of that 03-04 team...

Edit: i don’t know what’s going on with the embedding. Fire @mugtang!

Fixed

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater