Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

Thad Matta to UNLV?

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Not sure how Arizona can keep him when he refuses to testify on the witness stand.  Not sure how you can interpret that as anything other than, “Hey, I’m guilty as +++++!”

You're missing the obvious, ph. Miller gets out of Arizona ahead of the feds...and takes the step up to coach UNLV. Menzies replaces Muss and quickly returns Nevada to mediocrity. It's a win-win for you.

11 minutes ago, PackNation said:

You're missing the obvious, ph. Miller gets out of Arizona ahead of the feds...and takes the step up to coach UNLV. Menzies replaces Muss and quickly returns Nevada to mediocrity. It's a win-win for you.

Why would UNLV hire Miller when the feds are watching him?  Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, PackNation said:

Id rather have the guy from VCU he’s a beast.  WW

2 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Illinois win was over a 14-18 team.  Yes, they pushed a good Arizona team at home but coaches ultimately don’t get judged on almosts.  His only decent P5 win in 12 seasons as a head coach is over an NIT bound Utah team.  Nothing at all so far to write home about in the grand scheme of things.

His time at NMSU shouldn’t be completely ignored.  Should it have been expected for them to win at Cameron Indoor, Phog Allen or the Kennel, no; however, a quality coach should at least be able to beat a 19-15 USC or 14-18 Oregon State, possibly a decent but far from great 22-12 Baylor squad.

On top of that he has had his share of poor/bad OOC losses.  At UNLV homes losses to Valpo and LMU, Bucknell on a neutral floor.  At NMSU lost to a 15-15 LBSU team, 16-15 Fullerton, 15-15 UMass, 15-17 UTEP, 19-14 Niagara, 19-15 Oral Roberts, 20-15 LBSU.

There just isn't anything in his 12 season track record which points to much to be overly optimistic about the program becoming top 25-35 caliber again.     

Agree with this - Nothing points to Menzies returning UNLV to a consistent T25 program based on the entire body of work...........recruiting and development are going to be scrutinized going forward to ascertain if Menzies has the potential to exceed his track record. 

If Menzies does get another year the leash should be getting shorter on the 'rebuild' front - personally I think Menzies can get UNLV to being a consistent top 4 team in the MWC with some seasons coming in 1st with some NCAA's mixed in - That is a step in the right direction, but it's also a ceiling that will bring Menzies and UNLV to a decision on how to take the next step and that might not include Menzies as he's hit his ceiling.

22 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Agree with this - Nothing points to Menzies returning UNLV to a consistent T25 program based on the entire body of work...........recruiting and development are going to be scrutinized going forward to ascertain if Menzies has the potential to exceed his track record. 

If Menzies does get another year the leash should be getting shorter on the 'rebuild' front - personally I think Menzies can get UNLV to being a consistent top 4 team in the MWC with some seasons coming in 1st with some NCAA's mixed in - That is a step in the right direction, but it's also a ceiling that will bring Menzies and UNLV to a decision on how to take the next step and that might not include Menzies as he's hit his ceiling.

Absolutely.  If RP/Matta/Jason Kidd fall through, then Marv will have a lame duck year to get into the NCAAs.  He'll prob need to push some scholarship players out like Beck, Silvercannon, Coupet, and/or Green to get some additional firepower in the way of 5th year seniors or JUCO transfers.

If he stays consistent with career statistics  he should be fine. He did it in a WAC (PRE 2015) conference that wasn’t much unlike this Mountain West Conference. If he ends season 3 with the right momentum he may have more pressure on him for next season(that should be a given and good thing).

He has more to work with, but I’m sure he knows now what’s going to be tolerated, at NMSU it did seem as if he didn’t take the OOC games seriously but this is not going to fly at UNLV. The real divider from Mediocre and Marvelous will be wins and losses. These loses to lower teams will not be accepted.

I think they go 1 and done in the mwc tournament, losing a 3rd straight to suds and ending the season 17-14.

Somehow I just dont think MM is out of the woods yet. 11 mwc wins are good and all, but the people I know who are upset site attendance as the primary reason a move would be made. That issue has not been solved. Add the recent statements on race and some high level names on the horizon, and im just not shocked if drf is pushed to make a change. I think shed probably be easy to persuade given all the circumstances.

This year will end in a whimper and we'll wait the next week or two to see if the rumors have legs. I doubt it though and think Marv gets 1 last year to make a move back into relevance. The best way to predict the future is to look at the past and based on Marv's past I think next year will look a lot like this year in scheduling and results. We may be able to battle for 3rd based on how some of the other MWC programs are losing so many of their top players and we return so many experienced players. I expect the conference to take another step downward on a national level again though. Maybe the Rebs can be in the fight for 3rd because of that just like how we were in a fight for 4th this year. 

At the least expect to see some assistant coaches replaced but I doubt that there will be other more talented coaches ready to take those jobs with a lame duck coach. It isn't about if a change at the top will be made but more about when.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

I think they go 1 and done in the mwc tournament, losing a 3rd straight to suds and ending the season 17-14.

Somehow I just dont think MM is out of the woods yet. 11 mwc wins are good and all, but the people I know who are upset site attendance as the primary reason a move would be made. That issue has not been solved. Add the recent statements on race and some high level names on the horizon, and im just not shocked if drf is pushed to make a change. I think shed probably be easy to persuade given all the circumstances.

Probably correct........Getting past SDSU will be tough and if the Rebels should surprise and win the 4-5 game, the season ends vs (most likely) Nevada on Thursday - Unless there's a major upset and BSU/CSU can take down NV, UNLV has at most two games left and more likely 1 

Being that UNLV is in a 'rebuild' does Menzies & DRF opt for extending the season in one of the low end tournaments and will UNLV want to pay to play in a pretty meaningless tournament.

I can see Menzies maybe wanting to play on, because it does give the players more practice & experience along with Menzies adding a post season tournament (no matter how silly it might be) to his rebuild resume.......all those aren't unfair factors for wanting to play on................but if it costs $$ to play on, does UNLV have the $$ to even make it happen considering any home games will pretty much be low attendance affairs & potential money losers based on income vs expenses of operating the T&M. If this is the case, it also points to the weak position UNLV is in for any potential buyout of Menzies for a coaching change. Doubt boosters would put up the $$ for a worthless tournament appearance when they would rather use those $$ towards a buyout if there really is a name coach in waiting.

Going to be an interesting wait and see period starting Friday or Saturday and into late March as to what if anything will happen - First up could be some roster adjustments like Silvanjen (sp?), Beck Coupet, etc. being cut loose or transferring out to open up some room for much needed bodies that Menzies will need to show good upward movement in 2019-20 

30 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Being that UNLV is in a 'rebuild' does Menzies & DRF opt for extending the season in one of the low end tournaments and will UNLV want to pay to play in a pretty meaningless tournament.

JTT looked good in those 23 minutes. He has seriously improved in a short time. But he still has stone hands and loses his fundamentals with defensive positioning and reaching.

I think that a cbi or nit would be a lot more meaningful next season when the core backcourt is in place. 

But if MM ends up in the cbi or nit next year he will most likely be fired.

All assuming he makes it past this season.

3 hours ago, qwelish said:

Vegas jut beat CSU on the road.  They might be playing their best ball of the year.

SDSU is the better team but they don't play well on the road.

I honestly don't know who should be favored.  I'm kind of surprised you're already throwing in the towel.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Vegas jut beat CSU on the road.  They might be playing their best ball of the year.

SDSU is the better team but they don't play well on the road.

I honestly don't know who should be favored.  I'm kind of surprised you're already throwing in the towel.

They got to show me something.

Bad news for @CPslograd, but good news for UNLV.  Rick Pitino is definitely not going to Cal Poly.

https://www.keyt.com/sports/local-sports/cal-poly-athletic-director-talks-about-search-for-new-men-s-basketball-coach/1056803327

Oberhelman also said Cal Poly’s prestigious academic profile is actually a value recruiting tool.

"It's going to be hard. It's not easy,” said Oberhelman. “There's no question we have the highest admissions requirements in the conference and we're in an aging building as well. Those two things you can look at as a hindrance. I look at the positives of looking at our community, look at the world-class university we get to recruit to, so I do think there's a way you can flip the script a bit into those positives immediately."

With academics at the forefront, Oberhelman also said the new coach would also need to have a firm understanding of budget limitations.

He said one potential candidate was already eliminated since he had only coached at three high-level programs.

That makes it unlikely the coach could be a good fit for the Big West Conference, where teams work on a fraction of a budget enjoyed by power conference programs.

6 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Bad news for @CPslograd, but good news for UNLV.  Rick Pitino is definitely not going to Cal Poly.

https://www.keyt.com/sports/local-sports/cal-poly-athletic-director-talks-about-search-for-new-men-s-basketball-coach/1056803327

Oberhelman also said Cal Poly’s prestigious academic profile is actually a value recruiting tool.

"It's going to be hard. It's not easy,” said Oberhelman. “There's no question we have the highest admissions requirements in the conference and we're in an aging building as well. Those two things you can look at as a hindrance. I look at the positives of looking at our community, look at the world-class university we get to recruit to, so I do think there's a way you can flip the script a bit into those positives immediately."

With academics at the forefront, Oberhelman also said the new coach would also need to have a firm understanding of budget limitations.

He said one potential candidate was already eliminated since he had only coached at three high-level programs.

That makes it unlikely the coach could be a good fit for the Big West Conference, where teams work on a fraction of a budget enjoyed by power conference programs.

With the scandals that Pitino has been involved in, I think anyone that is thinking of hiring him is going to drag their feet a little, look under every rock, talk to everyone possible even the NCAA along with feds before doing anything.