Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

Thad Matta to UNLV?

Hmmm, what would UNLV fans think? Obviously he isn't Pitino, but he's done an excellent job everywhere he's coached. Seems to be a good hire on paper.

Could he be UNLV's version of Steve Fisher?

You guys never stop do you??   LOL!

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

8 minutes ago, bigd said:

Hmmm, what would UNLV fans think? Obviously he isn't Pitino, but he's done an excellent job everywhere he's coached. Seems to be a good hire on paper.

More like UNLV's 2.0 version of Lon Kruger.

And that would be a big improvement over Menzies and Dave Rice.

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 minutes ago, bigd said:

Administration probably doesn’t seem keen on hiring Rick Pitino given the NCAA show cause cloud that’s hanging over his head. He has not been cleared. 

Thad would be a great hire, apparently he has family out here and probably the coach that was rumored to visit UNLV twice this year. 

You don't fire Menzies unless you do bring in a guy like Thad Matta....

That said I dont buy shit from sham sources. Thad Matta has no ties to west coast and could have just about any power 5 job he really wanted. 

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

It has been a very long time since UNLV has had a good coach in BB, or anything else. This may be the time they break the "bad coach hire" syndrome. Matta is a coach I have watched for almost 25 years as the last 3 schools he has coached at are all within about 100 miles of my current home. He is a calm, cool and collected coach who plays a defense similar to Cronin at Cincinnati but a much better and more systematic offense. He is a well above average recruiter.  I believe he is the all time leader in wins at OSU.

If this is actually the coach that UNLV hires there will be a massive jump in the quality of BB played at the school and I see the possibility of many MWC championships ahead. My problem is that after the school has screwed up so often I find it difficult to believe they will actually hire him. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

6 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

More like UNLV's 2.0 version of Lon Kruger.

And that would be a big improvement over Menzies and Dave Rice.

That was my first impression when I read the post. If Muss sticks around, this could create some epic battles between the 2 in state rivals.

Just now, machaqr said:

Or mediocrity is being just above 500 with only 3 wins against teams with winning records.

You can say that as well but you are not being fair to the situation. But that’s a discussion  that’s going on in another thread. [See me at the Bosie State vs UNLV thread if you want to talk about what’s mediocre and what’s growth]

Beard is above average, Matta was above average, Kruger does enough. But I mean I thought the goal was championships not just going to the tournament. That’s why I said what I said.