Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Doughy Sam Merrill Should be POY

2 weeks ago Caroline had an edge over Merrill. But the fire extinguisher attacked him and took away his mojo. I ain't gonna argue, but I'm not proclaiming yet either. By the way I'm 17-1 in Best Buy matches.

Can’t argue against it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Merrill is an amazing player. He is not super athletic, but very smart, and a great shooter if he has any kind of look at the basket. I’m beginning to wonder if he has a future in the NBA. There are a number of pure shooters in the NBA and he could sure fill that role. If he has an issue it would be on defense. 

21 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Merrill is an amazing player. He is not super athletic, but very smart, and a great shooter if he has any kind of look at the basket. I’m beginning to wonder if he has a future in the NBA. There are a number of pure shooters in the NBA and he could sure fill that role. If he has an issue it would be on defense. 

Who was the last great shooter that USU had? That kid could come off screens and shoot the crap out of the ball but didn’t get a sniff at the nba. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Who was the last great shooter that USU had? That kid could come off screens and shoot the crap out of the ball but didn’t get a sniff at the nba. 

Quail and before him even better Carroll by my memory. The NBA is different now so it might have turned out different. But the athleticism to play even bad defense in the NBA is so ridiculous that it might not matter.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Jaycee Carroll. 2500+ points scored in college and USUs all-time leading scorer. He was the best college shooter I've ever seen and remains one of the best to this day. He has had a good career over seas playing for mostly Real Madrid. As you can imagine he is a fan favorite over there and has won numerous Euroleague titles.

He did play in the NBA summer leagues and was even invited to come back over by a couple of teams after they saw how it was turning out for him across the pond but by then the money he was making was never going to be matched or guaranteed by anyone in the NBA.

33 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Quail and before him even better Carroll by my memory. The NBA is different now so it might have turned out different. But the athleticism to play even bad defense in the NBA is so ridiculous that it might not matter.

The biggest knocks on Carroll were his measurements (only 6'-2") which were not prototypical and his lack of ability to play defense. Stew Morrill once said he couldn't guard a chair. The NBA seems fixated on body type and "potential" rather than actual talent. It also helps if you've been labeled an NBA prospect from an early age.

Look at Paul George for example. A lottery pick from the WAC? Surely he would have been conference player of the year right? Nope. Never even named to a first team all-conference. Dude used to get shut down regularly by Tai Wesley and company but he was 6'-8" and was labeled a prospect from an early age so it didnt matter. In George's case he grew into his potential but he is the exception.

As for Merrill, he is 6'-5" so that helps, and he almost always guards the other team's best player the entire game because of his defensive ability. I still don't think he sniffs the NBA because he doesn't look the part and scouts would rather go sign a tall, lanky, unproven 18 year old from Europe in hopes that they pan out and they look like a genius for finding him.

16 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

2 weeks ago Caroline had an edge over Merrill. But the fire extinguisher attacked him and took away his mojo. I ain't gonna argue, but I'm not proclaiming yet either. By the way I'm 17-1 in Best Buy matches.

Regarding your Best Buy record, I'd say you're due

The World Needs More Cowboys!

11 hours ago, TrueAg said:

The biggest knocks on Carroll were his measurements (only 6'-2") which were not prototypical and his lack of ability to play defense. Stew Morrill once said he couldn't guard a chair. The NBA seems fixated on body type and "potential" rather than actual talent. It also helps if you've been labeled an NBA prospect from an early age.

Look at Paul George for example. A lottery pick from the WAC? Surely he would have been conference player of the year right? Nope. Never even named to a first team all-conference. Dude used to get shut down regularly by Tai Wesley and company but he was 6'-8" and was labeled a prospect from an early age so it didnt matter. In George's case he grew into his potential but he is the exception.

As for Merrill, he is 6'-5" so that helps, and he almost always guards the other team's best player the entire game because of his defensive ability. I still don't think he sniffs the NBA because he doesn't look the part and scouts would rather go sign a tall, lanky, unproven 18 year old from Europe in hopes that they pan out and they look like a genius for finding him.

QFT. George wasn’t one of the best in a crappy WAC, but he obviously had the body type and potential talent. Javale McGee was like that too. He wasn’t as good as George but he’s played for like 100 years in the NBA it feels like. 

3 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Regarding your Best Buy record, I'd say you're due

Hey, my loan shark/manager kept feeding me cupcakes to bloat my record and guarantee wins. I'm waiting for a clubber lang to hop off the train car and give me a real fight

52 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

QFT. George wasn’t one of the best in a crappy WAC, but he obviously had the body type and potential talent. Javale McGee was like that too. He wasn’t as good as George but he’s played for like 100 years in the NBA it feels like. 

McGee has made roughly $60m in the nba. 

17 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Jaycee Carroll. He was a really good player.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

And Ramon Sessions, who was a great player but only made the 2nd team all-WAC 1 time in 3 years, made more than $36 million in the NBA.

And donated $1 million of that back to Nevada for our basketball facility. What an awesome guy, we could certainly use more alums like that haha.

I'd like to see his jersey retired next.

19 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

An Interesting Note, but USU has a player on its team that has pretty good connections to the NBA.  It is likely that Merrill has had lots of conversations about what the NBA execs may be looking for.  I noticed in the Nevada game that Merrill was guarding Caleb Martin the whole game; I don't know if Merrill has been covering the other teams best offensive player all year, but that would be something to look at.