Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Game of Thrones: The Final Season --- FULL SPOILER ALERT STARTING PAGE FOUR! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

I liked all the symbolism like the sprig growing north of the wall.  The Dragon leaving.  The iron throne melted.  Braun wanting to fund rebuilding all the brothels but didn't care about the sewers.  The different groups gaining the freedom they want and the renewal.  Although the people are screwed but that is normal.

We got trolled hard by what we thought was Ghost last appearance. 

On 5/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

So... here's five things I expect to see tonight before the credits roll:

1. Still in full Mad PMS Queen mode, Dany in all her rage tries to torch Jon. But either the dragon will not comply, or he will and Jon will remained unharmed, This act will ironically cement the belief of the people that Jon is the "one true king" meant to rule all of Westros - Dany's final act of fury will play as an act of sacrifice to unite all of Westros under its one true king.

2. As the show has shown a proclivity for coming full circle on its many threads, I expect Jon - with a heavy heart - to sentence Dany to death for turning KL into a clay oven. And much like Ned tells Bran in S1E1, he who levies the sentence should swing the sword, so Jon, once again placing virtue above all else, reluctantly takes Dany's head.

3. Tyrion is shows ruling over Casterly Rock with a gaggle of boats 'n hoes. 

4. Jon assumes the throne at Dragonstone, and Sansa reigns as the Lady of Winterfell - she showed how effectively she could govern in S7. 

5. At some point in the episode, we'll see Cersei regaining consciousness to find herself alone in the rubble, separated from her brother. Her raw (but effective) survival instinct will have her find a way to climb out of the rubble, her fear and despair mixed with her need to escape. Finally free of the rubble, and scrambling to the shoreline, who does she see? A dying Jamie, somehow still alive, but barely. He'll tell of how when he came to, he called out her name but got no response, how he tried looking for her in the rubble, but finally gave up... the relief will be palpable for both. They board the dingy Tyrion had left for them in the rocky alcove, and begin rowing to see. As the shoreline gets increasingly smaller, we see a wistful Cersei looking back on the smoking/burning ruins of everything that meant anything to her. She has lost it all, with the exception of Jamie... she expresses this sentiment, and as the camera pans to Jamie, we see that Valerian dagger in his belt. The smile and the look in his eyes - we've seen that smug look before on other faces - we know those eyes - bely "his" intent. (This will be the last scene before it cuts to credits).

I liked my story lines better than what I saw tonight.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:55 AM, retrofade said:

This feels more and more like Season 8 of Dexter... it's going to end with Jon faking his death and becoming a lumberjack in Essos.

I mean... not quite, but close.

Also... what exactly is the point of the Night's Watch now? To defend from the Wildlings who they're now at peace with and don't want to come south anyway?

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

Also... what exactly is the point of the Nights Watch now? The defend from the Wildlings who they're now at peace with and don't want to come south anyway?

Yea, not a bad “punishment” for Jon. No more White Walkers to worry about, and the Free Folk will probably want to make him their king. 

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

ppafSeB.jpg

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess they won’t be getting an Emmy for their editing. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess they won’t be getting an Emmy for their editing. 

I mean, I'm starting to wonder if this shit is like some form of silent protest by the cast and crew for how terrible the writing was. 

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

I mean, I'm starting to wonder if this shit is like some form of silent protest by the cast and crew for how terrible the writing was. 

That would make sense, actually. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Pretty sad actually. The writing for the last two seasons has been terrible. As mug said, they should have tacked on episodes 1-3 to season 7. Ended that season with the death of the Night King, then had a 10 episode season 8 all about the iron throne. Everything was too rushed. Nothing was really flushed out. Bran getting the throne is laughable. Dude did jack ish and we still didn't find anything out about him being the 3 eyed raven. After Jon kills Danny i was hoping that Grey Worm would come strolling in and that they would fight with Grey Worm dying. 

Stupid that Jon would tell them that he killed Danny. It's even more dumb that Grey Worm would take Jon prisoner. At that point I would think that they would just kill him. And you're going to let Grey Worm dictate what happens to Jon even though they are sailing away and not coming back? Dumb. 

The acting has been great. The visuals have been great. The writing has sucked. D&D ruined GoT with wanting to rush things and be done with the series. 

Thought the finale was fine. Don't really have any problems with it. How they got there wasn't great. Too rushed and full of plot holes. Like Jon living north of the wall peacefully for the rest of his life. 

They filmed multiple endings to throw people off (didn't really do much), but I wonder if they will have a "choose your ending" option when it's released on Blu-ray. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

5 hours ago, retrofade said:

Also... what exactly is the point of the Night's Watch now? To defend from the Wildlings who they're now at peace with and don't want to come south anyway?

I just read Vox's write up on the finale and this is what the author had to say:

"Jon goes back to the Night’s Watch, which has no reason to exist now that the wildlings are at peace with the Seven Kingdoms and the White Walkers have been destroyed. Somehow the Wall, a massive quasi-magical ice construction, has been repaired in months."

I really have no issue with Jon's return to the Wall. It was his time at - and beyond - the Wall that formatively shaped him into the man he became. His tie to the Wall and the Wildlings, his resurrection, the Wall still (and always) standing s both a literal and metaphorical guard post, watching over the Seven Kingdoms... I found it, and his reunion with both Big Red and Left Ear Lobo Lopez poetic. Jon belongs with the free folk, and their leader already revers him as their king. Perfect, IMO.

But seriously... howTF was I looking at a shiny new wall, bereft of any damage or signs of (ongoing) reconstruction, and reeking of that "new wall" smell? That type of shit is just lazy writing... :waiting:

Anyway, it's a great read (Link). 

I saw the reference after last week's episode to "D&D," but only after reading the Vox article did I realize that referred to the show's writers. Nor did I know that the whole reason it felt entirely rushed (both this season and segments of last) was because it was... Why would these tools want to chop 35% of the episodes? What tools...

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg