Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Game of Thrones: The Final Season --- FULL SPOILER ALERT STARTING PAGE FOUR! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

This twitter thread does a create job explaining why Daenerys went crazy.  Basically it comes down to her anger that the people didn’t rise up to overthrow Cersei and they just surrendered because they're cowards 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

IMO, the books and the series peaked with the 3rd book and has been declining ever since. Book 4 was horrible.  Book 5 wasn't much better.

I may not read the next two books.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

This twitter thread does a create job explaining why Daenerys went crazy.  Basically it comes down to her anger that the people didn’t rise up to overthrow Cersei and they just surrendered because they're cowards 

yeah, below is someone's analysis from reddit. A lot of the same stuff. I think they are both pretty good explanations. 

The Mad Queen descent was rushed, but I've seen a lot of people all over the Internet make fun of the bells and at Daenerys' mind breaking at the point of surrender but it made sense and was set up earlier in the episode.

Season 1 to 7 showed up a Daenerys that rose from the very lowest of lows to the height of power. In Season 1 and 2, we see Daenerys realize that without power, no one will respect her or take her claim seriously. She’s told repeatedly that she’s nothing without an army, and she’s nothing without ships. She gains those. We cheer for her.

When Daenerys leaves Essos, she thinks she can rule through compassion and be loved by the people once she gets rid of Cersei. She had her armies. She had dragons. She had powerful allies in Westeros. She had the strongest claim to the throne and finally had the chance to take King’s Landing.

Season 7 and Season 8 was about losing that power. First, her powerful allies are stripped away one by one. Olenna, Elliria, Yara. Tyrion mismanages them as Hand of the Queen and makes horrible tactical mistakes.

In S08E01, Daenerys realizes she doesn’t have the love of the people. In Essos, she broke their chains and earned their devotion and became their Mysha. She freed them from their oppressive masters and they were grateful to her and made her their queen. In the North, Sansa and Jon had already broken their chains. They defeated Ramsay. Sansa and Jon, as Starks, have earned their loyalty for a lifetime. Daenerys is faced with a smallfolk — her subjects — that don’t love her. It’s a harsh realization for her.

In S08E02, she loses her claim. Jon tells her his true identity, and suddenly she’s not the only Targaryen in the world. Even moreso, Jon’s claim is stronger. He’s a natural leader. She’s immediately threatened by his confession, and is shaken by it.

In S08E03, she loses Jorah. He was there for her since the beginning. He was devoted to her not because of her power, not because of her dragons, but because he loved her. He never would’ve betrayed her and she trusted him fully. He’s essentially been her rock through all her hardship. And then he dies protecting her.

In S08E04, she loses her second child, and Missandei. One by one, everyone she held close that was devoted to her and her alone was taken from her. Her dragons were a symbol of her power; with only one left, she was beginning to get desperate. Her only advisor from Essos was Grey Worm, and he was a soldier.

In S08E05, she loses Varys, Tyrion, and Jon. Through betrayal, no less. Jon betrays her by telling Sansa, and Sansa tells Tyrion, who tells Varys. Varys openly conspires against her and (presumably) tries to poison her and turn Jon against her. She kills him without a trial, without asking for his last words, and without a second thought. At that point, she’s on the brink.

And Jon goes to her, and she seeks one last bit of comfort from him. She tells him that people love him, and that’s something she’ll never have.

”Far more people in Westeros love you than love me. I don’t have love here. I only have fear.”

He counters by saying that he loves her, and that she’ll always be his queen. But when they kiss, Daenerys realizes that he’ll never truly love her again. And so, she says: "Alright then. Let it be fear"

When the bells ring, Daenerys realizes that while the city has surrendered she’ll never be secure as queen as long as the people don’t truly, irrevocably fear her. She will never be loved by them. She has lost everything she has gained and every friend she’s made, and she’s completely alone. King’s Landing becomes a symbol of everything she’s ever been through — her brother selling her like a brood mare, Drogo's death, being ridiculed and laughed at from Pentos to Slaver's Bay to Mereen, being threatened at every turn, losing her dragons, losing her loved ones. She’s on her dragon, she’s alone, she feels powerless, and she’s angry.

So what does she do when feels powerless? She reminds them all that she is still powerful. The people will never love her, so they will fear her.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:55 PM, thedude15 said:

Honestly I was fine with the Mad Queen outcome also. I also like the Hound talking Arya out of her death march. 

The only things that slightly pissed me off

1. No major character surprise deaths. Everyone who died was entirely predictable.  

2. The first two dragons went down "easily" and now all the sudden the 3rd one is invulnerable? What he took out 50 of those scorpions and managed to avoid  all the blots. 

I feel the show is showing that the dragons have much better reaction time when being directed by the rider. Danaerys has consistently showed she can maneuver Drogon out of harms way. Where as the un-manned dragons got hit fairly easily.

Re-watched the episode last night - in one of the early scenes, Tyrion gives her counsel, during which she compares the people of KL to the people of Mereen (sp?), and seems resentful that while the latter rebelled against their leadership, the former had not. She also mentioned how she was going to ensure that future generations never had a tyrant again.

In other words, I think she had her mind made up the night before the battle.

And in the scene with Jon when she spoke of fear, she was speaking of all she had from the people of Westros, not her own emotions, which IMO fits better the aforementioned interpretation, as she already saw it as her only method by which to rule.

ETA: I see this is covered in part in @BleedRed702's post. Ffs, it's the Tao of GoT up in here...

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

15 hours ago, mugtang said:

They did a terrible job expressing this (if it is indeed the case). 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

28 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

They did a terrible job expressing this (if it is indeed the case). 

They sure did.  It looked to me that she went off the rails when Jon rejected her advances.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Still haven't seen any of this last season yet. Planning on watching 1-3 on Saturday and 4-5 on Sunday before the final.

I haven't read or heard anything yet. Thank goodness

It's been difficult to navigate through the internet the last couple of weeks.

The spoilers in the video about E5 turned out to be true and the ending they detail for the series sucks.

Hopefully it’s not accurate.  But watch at your own risk. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

The spoilers in the video about E5 turned out to be true and the ending they detail for the series sucks.

Hopefully it’s not accurate.  But watch at your own risk. 

Not watching it. But, why would you watch it?

It's one thing to read/listen to theories, but potential leaks?! No thanks!

Edit: Didn't they film multiple endings to avoid any potential leaks? If so, hopefully the ending mentioned in the video is incorrect and one of the wrong endings? (didn't watch it)

1 hour ago, BleedRed702 said:

Not watching it. But, why would you watch it?

It's one thing to read/listen to theories, but potential leaks?! No thanks!

Edit: Didn't they film multiple endings to avoid any potential leaks? If so, hopefully the ending mentioned in the video is incorrect and one of the wrong endings? (didn't watch it)

That was something I never understood about people who read the leaks/spoilers then turn around and bitch about the show not surprising them because the leaks/spoilers they read were true. Either way this show has become something popular to hate so I'm just ignoring e everyone until Sunday night when I watch the finale and come up with my own thoughts about it overall. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On 5/12/2019 at 9:30 PM, happycamper said:

Came out of the sun, stayed low and fast. That's a lot of tactical advancement for 1 real sortie but looks like Dany is a quick learner

I also gave the benefit of the doubt. This time, the dragon was flying at full speed and aware. As oppose to cruising and unaware during the ambush. The scorpions were slow to turn and slow to reload.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:30 PM, happycamper said:

Came out of the sun, stayed low and fast. That's a lot of tactical advancement for 1 real sortie but looks like Dany is a quick learner

I was expecting her to torch both the fleet and the rampart-mounted ballistas at night (she's flown at night and you can't hit what you can't see).

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

20 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I was expecting her to torch both the fleet and the rampart-mounted ballistas at night (she's flown at night and you can't hit what you can't see).

Two episodes ago, her and Jon fought the Night King in darkness. I was expecting a surprise attack too. The writers knew the audience was predicting this too. They touched on it during a scene in the episode. I think Tyrion, or someone else form Dearnarys' circle, approached Jon with her request/command to attack now (late evening in the scene). Jon replies not until daybreak (or something like that). I think, the writers deliberately did that to avoid another night time battle scene.

4 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Two episodes ago, her and Jon fought the Night King in darkness. I was expecting a surprise attack too. The writers knew the audience was predicting this too. They touched on it during a scene in the episode. I think Tyrion, or someone else form Dearnarys' circle, approached Jon with her request/command to attack now (late evening in the scene). Jon replies not until daybreak (or something like that). I think, the writers deliberately did that to avoid another night time battle scene.

They filmed these episodes long before they go any feedback from the public on the Night King battle.

4 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

They filmed these episodes log before they go any feedback from the public on the Night King battle.

Of course. The production team knows what fans will expect based on previous seasons. When filming for the Night King battle was done, they probably concluded they didn't want another night time battle. Not to mention, the biggest fight of the season, or show,  would have to be illuminated. A fight that everyone wanted to see clearly.

40 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Did you know in one of the last frames, the lone man that runs into the alley, is Aaron Rodgers.

down in a hole.jpg