Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Game of Thrones: The Final Season --- FULL SPOILER ALERT STARTING PAGE FOUR! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Arya killing Dany is too on the nose at this point, which ordinarily would make me think that it would happen. That being said, the writing has been so goddamned abysmal that it's what I'm expecting to happen next week.

20 minutes ago, Mano said:

Maybe Bran Wargs Drogon?

That would make sense. I mean Daenerys is going to have Drogon by her side 24/7 since EVERYONE (besides the unsullied and dothraki) are clearly against her at this point. So not really sure how Jon or anyone else would get a chance to kill her. I don't think she trust Jon anymore after he turned down her advances and told people have his true parents.

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Arya killing Dany is too on the nose at this point, which ordinarily would make me think that it would happen. That being said, the writing has been so goddamned abysmal that it's what I'm expecting to happen next week.

Arya would have to kill Greyworm first to steal his face. 

I mean who does Daenerys actually trust at this point? I don't really see her letting anyone get close enough to kill her besides Greyworm. 

I could see Tyrion becoming the Queen Slayer, following in his brothers footsteps. 

Are we all pretty much agreed that Daenerys is the target of assasination next week?

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

Honestly I was fine with the Mad Queen outcome also. I also like the Hound talking Arya out of her death march. 

The only things that slightly pissed me off

1. No major character surprise deaths. Everyone who died was entirely predictable.  

2. The first two dragons went down "easily" and now all the sudden the 3rd one is invulnerable? What he took out 50 of those scorpions and managed to avoid  all the blots. 

Came out of the sun, stayed low and fast. That's a lot of tactical advancement for 1 real sortie but looks like Dany is a quick learner

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, happycamper said:

Came out of the sun, stayed low and fast. That's a lot of tactical advancement for 1 real sortie but looks like Dany is a quick learner

Yeah then she was behind the scorpions on the city walls and they did not seem to effectively turn to attack her.

Jon is going to kill the dragon

You read it here first

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

8 hours ago, thedude15 said:

That would make sense. I mean Daenerys is going to have Drogon by her side 24/7 since EVERYONE (besides the unsullied and dothraki) are clearly against her at this point. So not really sure how Jon or anyone else would get a chance to kill her. I don't think she trust Jon anymore after he turned down her advances and told people have his true parents.

Could be some questions as to Drogon's willingness to execute another Targaryen--I'm not sure if there's precedent for that in the books. 

7 hours ago, happycamper said:

I agree. Those were realistic solutions to the problems the scorpions posed.  I also think that her enemies were lulled into a false sense of security by the deaths of the other two dragons.  They were world-conquerors. 

The scenery during the Clegane fight was incredible. 

This show has fallen completely apart.

Some of those plot lines last night were simply ridiculous and lazy.

I’m glad some of you guys enjoyed it, although I have no idea how you did so.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

I guess Dany was mad, so she was going after the innocent people.  I don't understand why she couldn't leave them alone and just go after the Red Keep.  The whole thing reminded me of Sheridan & Sherman's scorched earth policy during the Civil War.  I liked the carnage that Drogon created by not on the innocents.  Do we know for sure Cersei is dead?

down in a hole.jpg

Well I definitely didn’t like what they did with Jamie. But with Dany they were in something of a damned if you do damned if you don’t scenario. They have been teasing this “will she or won’t she go Mad Queen” thing for a while now; if they did the predictable thing where she “almost” goes Mad Queen But came to her senses then people would have criticized the plot for being, well, predictable. But I think I would have preferred it be “predictable” in that sense to what we got. I mean she immediately became the worst ruler portrayed on the show, including the Mad King.

what has happened to Bronn?  Last time we saw him he was negotiating a new castle deal with Jamie and Tyrion and then apparently went to celebrate for 6 weeks in some remote out of the way brothel.  

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

ySIaYoA.png

I don’t agree. Jaimie showed that he’s a nuanced person throughout the show. Individually, he was a good guy if not (early on) vain and arrogant. But his love for Cersei overwhelmed everything. He wouldn’t have pushed Bran if it wasn’t for her. He wouldn’t have murdered his cousin if he didn’t want to get back to her. etc. He basically said as much after Cersei spurned himfollowing his escape from Robb.

There were spaces where Cersei didn’t pervade and Jaimie was able to rebuild his humanity. His relationship with Brienne was one such space. Cersei was aware that something had gone on between Brienne and Jaimie, but it was all too easy for her to put her claws back in. Jaime armored and armed Brienne, but sent her off, albeit with some regret. Perhaps that regret came from his doubt as to whether he could ever become the person Brienne saw in him so long as he was with Cersei.  I think that's why he gave a relationship with Brienne a try during and after the Battle of Winterfell. Unfortunately for him, he realized that he didn't make a mistake by choosing Cersei before, and once again set off on a quest across the kingdom to find her again. I believe Brienne and Cersei offered two visions to Jaimie of the life he could lead and the person he could be.  While he wanted the life Brienne could offer, he didn’t have the strength to say no to Cersei. IMO that's why he found himself “hateful.” I also think that's why Brienne phrased her words during their final parting the way she did. 

Really, only Tyrion could motivate Jaimie to rebel against Cersei to any degree. Tywin, the most formidable man in the kingdom, direct Jaimie to do much, but his love for Cersei was always powerful enough to drive him to near- suicidal lengths. A few words from her had him sailing off to Dorne, a place Bronn said was populated by people who were only interested in "fighting and f*cking." Cersei took his devotion and borderline naivete for stupidity, and exploited it.  Maybe she was partially right, but I'm not 100% convinced. 

I think Jaimie struggled throughout the show to prove to himself that he could be a good person, but in the end, he accepted his limitations and chose her. Like the writers said, he may not have been happy about it, but it was a fact about him. George RR Martin has repeatedly said that the true battle between good and evil isn't a struggle between two diametrically-opposed political forces, but the struggle in the human heart. To that end, I found Jaimie to be one of the most interesting characters in the show.  He violated the trope of the redeemed man, but had his own sort of appeal anyway.

I found his and Cersei’s death to be very poignant.  Cersei was an evil person without a doubt, and I think the show stopped delving into her character--possibly because the writers wanted her to be a spectral presence, or possibly because the death of her children had killed off whatever humanity she had left--but I still felt something when she lost her composure and said that she wanted to live for her unborn child’s sake.

I thought last two episodes were really good. 

Only thing that wasn't appropriate to me was that Cersei had Jamie's comfort in her death.  She didn't deserve that.