Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

San Jose State Problem

Okay, I’m not Cincy who bags on San Jose State but after this year in football and basketball, I’m wondering if something needs to be done.  My apologies to the die hard Spartan fans who frequent this board.  I have great respect for your loyalty and support.   

The Spartans finished 120th in the Massey Composite ratings in football.   Of the 15 teams in the bottom with them, only San Jose failed to crack the top 300 in NET Rating and only SJSU and UTEP failed to crack the top 250 in NET.   

San Jose State has the unique distinction of being Sub-110 in Football and Sub-300 in basketball.   

I honestly wonder if dropping to FCS isn't a bad option for them.  Since joining the MW, they have largely been out-performed in most sports.  Like you, I don't want to be an ass to them, but looking at it objectively, I see no evidence of them raising their profile to more than just middling in the conference, and that is their ceiling.

My reason for thinking SJSU should drop down to FCS and move to a lesser conference for all other sports is minimally based on their athletic teams performance but mostly based on the universities apathay and inability to fund, build and support anything close to a D1 athletic program.  Reinforced by the total lack of wealthy boosters willing to donate.

Thing is that you need a group of people in charge that care about athletics and pushing forward and pretty much they don't have that. 

I could be mistaken but I though San Jose St did a study in the past about dropping back to FCS and said it would cost them more money to drop then staying where they are.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I honestly wonder if dropping to FCS isn't a bad option for them.  Since joining the MW, they have largely been out-performed in most sports.  Like you, I don't want to be an ass to them, but looking at it objectively, I see no evidence of them raising their profile to more than just middling in the conference, and that is their ceiling.

55 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

My reason for thinking SJSU should drop down to FCS and move to a lesser conference for all other sports is minimally based on their athletic teams performance but mostly based on the universities apathay and inability to fund, build and support anything close to a D1 athletic program.  Reinforced by the total lack of wealthy boosters willing to donate.

Not a fan of the constant "Spartans suck" threads but I honestly believe they should drop football altogether and start funding men's soccer if possible. There's already a lot more fan support in that area for soccer than for football, might as well get out in front of it.

I used to give them the benefit of the doubt because I once worked down the street from the campus  but they just  don't care if they're relevant in football or basketball  and the students don't either.

I dunno, maybe that's the "wave of the future'?

cerified_Subarus.jpg

1 minute ago, Lester_in_reno said:

I used to give them the benefit of the doubt because I once worked down the street from the campus  but they just  don't care if they're relevant in football or basketball  and the students don't either.

I dunno, maybe that's the "wave of the future'?

I think it begins at the top and the people at the top right now I don't think really care about athletics as their focus has turned to other things to push from what I have heard. 

13 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I think it begins at the top and the people at the top right now I don't think really care about athletics as their focus has turned to other things to push from what I have heard. 

sjm-sjsuad-0520-06.jpg?w=620

Serious question to SJSU fans. There have been rumors that MWC representatives met last year with SJSU to express concern about team performance in the major sports and condition of major sport facilities. Supposedly the meeting was to push SJSU to make a bigger commitment to improvements.

Any SJSU fans know how true those rumors are?

7 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

About 2 years ago I wondered what vision then-new SJSU President Mary Papazian had for SJSU athletics. I wondered how she viewed D1 sports, especially FBS football. She received all 3 of her degrees from UCLA. But her academic career prior to SJSU was at non-FBS schools.

• She was previously the president at Division 2's Southern Connecticut State University which plays D2 football.
  • Prior to that she was provost at Lehman College of The City University of New York which plays Division 3 athletics including D3 football.
  • She was also at D3's Montclair State University which has no football.
  • And also at the D1 Horizon League's Oakland University which also does not play football.

3 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Serious question to SJSU fans. There have been rumors that MWC representatives met last year with SJSU to express concern about team performance in the major sports and condition of major sport facilities. Supposedly the meeting was to push SJSU to make a bigger commitment to improvements.

Any SJSU fans know how true those rumors are?

About 2 years ago I wondered what vision then-new SJSU President Mary Papazian had for SJSU athletics. I wondered how she viewed D1 sports, especially FBS football. She received all 3 of her degrees from UCLA. But her academic career prior to SJSU was at non-FBS schools.

• She was previously the president at Division 2's Southern Connecticut State University which plays D2 football.
  • Prior to that she was provost at Lehman College of The City University of New York which plays Division 3 athletics including D3 football.
  • She was also at D3's Montclair State University which has no football.
  • And also at the D1 Horizon League's Oakland University which also does not play football.

I think I heard from someone, they were going to push more things on the academic side of things but not sure about that. I have also heard that MWC met with San Jose St officials last year but heard that it was more of a one one on one meeting about the future of the conference and where it was going. Does that mean their concerns weren't brought up? I think the only people that really know are the ones that were in the meeting.

1 minute ago, Extra Mayo said:

K

This is the same response the MWC got from President Papazian. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

They don’t care so why should we?

How many threads have there been on this subject already? Look at it positively, you're pretty much guaranteed those football and basketball wins every year. You should be thanking us. ;)

I think the big focus right now is the fundraising for east-side stadium revision. SJSU has been super transparent about the raise and have over half of the $40mm raised. If I were to guess, this is likely the result of the MWC "talk." If it happened, of course. Also, If you look at linkedin, you will a ton of hires around fundraising/giving. The hires all had good experience, too.

spartan-hands.gif

2 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

How many sports would SJSU have to cut from the budget if they dropped?

Most. Gene Bleymaeir boned SJSU by saddling us with men's water polo and men's and women's track and field. Three non-revenue sports to feed.

spartan-hands.gif

6 minutes ago, SpartanGrad said:

I think the big focus right now is the fundraising for east-side stadium revision. SJSU has been super transparent about the raise and have over half of the $40mm raised. If I were to guess, this is likely the result of the MWC "talk." If it happened, of course. Also, If you look at linkedin, you will a ton of hires around fundraising/giving. The hires all had good experience, too.

I’m not a fan of this project because Spartan Stadium has a lot more pressing issues. Adding a new building on top of a decaying structure seems, well, irresponsible. But, I get it. The idea is to create excitement. The basics don’t move the needle. 

341BB5BA-9F02-4170-9C84-31DCFE5A804A.jpeg.de21617548a70f42ab3b19451c80fe51.jpeg

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

1 minute ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

I’m not a fan of this project because Spartan Stadium has a lot more pressing issues. Adding a new building on top of a decaying structure seems, well, irresponsible. But, I get it. The idea is to move create some excitement. The basics don’t move the needle. 

341BB5BA-9F02-4170-9C84-31DCFE5A804A.jpeg.de21617548a70f42ab3b19451c80fe51.jpeg

Details are scarce, just a terrible rendering, so far. But, I assume it replaces the bleachers. It's a good idea since that is the side of the stadium that is shown on broadcasts

spartan-hands.gif