Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WasatchAggie

Massive poor sportsmanship by Nevada players after the game.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

USU fans' approach to the Caroline meltdown exudes their M.O. before getting admitted to the MWC. Searching the "Why are we hated here?" thread, I find that I wrote this.

As to USU, it's not just their involvement with The Project, it's the aftermath of it. When The Project went to +++++, Albrecht immediately denied any involvement but then had to backtrack after Thompson called BS. Then within several months, Naggies fans started coming in here with arrogant regularity guaranteeing that their school would still be voted in at the next presidents' meeting in January 2011, probably along with UTEP. The reality was very different, of course, as then MWC board president Steve Weber came out of the meeting to announce that not only had USU not been voted in, no vote had even been taken.

For whatever reason there continues to be an us-against-the-world group think among the Aggies compelling endless self defense while precluding the slightest mirror gazing.

You are living a bit in the past if you are still butt-hurt about “The Project”.  And why did a fan of SDS care anyway?  SDS already had a foot out the door to the Big East.  BTW, USU voted to let SDS come back as the newest member of the MWC.  You’re welcome.

But while you are on the subject, please provide something besides your say-so that Stan Albrect denied any involvement with “the project”.  Here’s Karl Benson’s own words:

“The big near miss was that in August of 2010 I was driving my daughter Jessica to Los Angeles to move her into her dorm at USC, and I had a coat and tie in the back so that I could stop in Provo, Utah to announce that BYU was going to rejoin the WAC in all sports except football, but with a football scheduling alliance like what ND has with the ACC. As I’m driving to Los Angeles I get a call from Stan Albrecht. the Utah State president who was the chairman of the board at that time, and he said ‘I just got a call from the Boise State president (Bob Kustra) wanting to know if we were interested in joining the Mountain West.’

The Mountain West had gotten wind of what we were doing. In order for BYU to agree to this, they were requiring a pledge that Fresno State and Nevada had to stay in the league. We had signed the paperwork, we had the agreement but we didn’t have the deal done. So Utah State tells the Boise State guy he’s not interested.

So Boise calls the Fresno president, and he says yeah we’d be interested. And he calls Milton Glick at Nevada and he says ‘well, we’ve got this pledge’ and Kustra says ‘well, I’ve just talked to John Welty at Fresno State and he’s ready to do it.’

So Fresno and Nevada get on the phone and agree to do it, and the sunufabitches accepted an invitation to the Mountain West. What’s interesting in that is if BYU had made that move, our next move would have been to get UTEP back.”

I can’t speak to Aggie fans making guarantees of anything as to a MWC invite back in the day.  But here we now are in the MWC and we like it here and are pleased to find affiliation with all of the teams in the conference.  I don’t see us always gearing up to bolt like some others.

As to Aggie fans being defensive to criticism — I’d say that occurs when someone goes into attack-mode unjustifiably.  Much of that happened (and continues to happen) with the misinformation on the Sweet Caroline meltdown.  From any concrete information I have seen the Aggies were not the cause of SC’s meltdown unless you blame us for beating UNR on national TV.  But perhaps Aslowwhiteguy has a recording of a USU assistant coach yelling the N-word throughout the tunnels in the Spectrum.  If so, I will stand corrected.

2 hours ago, utaggies said:

You are living a bit in the past if you are still butt-hurt about “The Project”.  And why did a fan of SDS care anyway?  SDS already had a foot out the door to the Big East.  BTW, USU voted to let SDS come back as the newest member of the MWC.  You’re welcome.

But while you are on the subject, please provide something besides your say-so that Stan Albrect denied any involvement with “the project”.  Here’s Karl Benson’s own words:

“The big near miss was that in August of 2010 I was driving my daughter Jessica to Los Angeles to move her into her dorm at USC, and I had a coat and tie in the back so that I could stop in Provo, Utah to announce that BYU was going to rejoin the WAC in all sports except football, but with a football scheduling alliance like what ND has with the ACC. As I’m driving to Los Angeles I get a call from Stan Albrecht. the Utah State president who was the chairman of the board at that time, and he said ‘I just got a call from the Boise State president (Bob Kustra) wanting to know if we were interested in joining the Mountain West.’

The Mountain West had gotten wind of what we were doing. In order for BYU to agree to this, they were requiring a pledge that Fresno State and Nevada had to stay in the league. We had signed the paperwork, we had the agreement but we didn’t have the deal done. So Utah State tells the Boise State guy he’s not interested.

So Boise calls the Fresno president, and he says yeah we’d be interested. And he calls Milton Glick at Nevada and he says ‘well, we’ve got this pledge’ and Kustra says ‘well, I’ve just talked to John Welty at Fresno State and he’s ready to do it.’

So Fresno and Nevada get on the phone and agree to do it, and the sunufabitches accepted an invitation to the Mountain West. What’s interesting in that is if BYU had made that move, our next move would have been to get UTEP back.”

I can’t speak to Aggie fans making guarantees of anything as to a MWC invite back in the day.  But here we now are in the MWC and we like it here and are pleased to find affiliation with all of the teams in the conference.  I don’t see us always gearing up to bolt like some others.

As to Aggie fans being defensive to criticism — I’d say that occurs when someone goes into attack-mode unjustifiably.  Much of that happened (and continues to happen) with the misinformation on the Sweet Caroline meltdown.  From any concrete information I have seen the Aggies were not the cause of SC’s meltdown unless you blame us for beating UNR on national TV.  But perhaps Aslowwhiteguy has a recording of a USU assistant coach yelling the N-word throughout the tunnels in the Spectrum.  If so, I will stand corrected.

mood whatever GIF

On 3/7/2019 at 1:04 PM, utaggies said:

Very similar to your, “When was it determined that no one from USU's staff used the N word?”

In debating parlance they call this “argument from ignorance” where someone asserts something is true because it hasn’t been proven false.  It is the last bastion of someone losing an argument. You assert a USU staff member used the N-word toward Sweet Caroline with no evidence to support your assertion.  Then you ask others to prove a negative.

When this whole thing broke USU was dragged through the mud in the media for:  1) the touching of Nevada players; 2) inadequate security; 3) local cops run amok; 4) racist chants by USU students; and 5) failure to protect Nevada players.  All of those accusations were proven false.  GRAMA requests were made to USU by Aggie fans to clear USU’s name.  That’s how the secuity film in the Spectrum Tunnel and court was brought to light.

So what has Nevada done to shine a light on the episode?  Zip!  Even though Nevada’s “Runnin’ With The Pack” film crew has footage from top to bottom which would include audio. Why not release that?  It ain’t gonna happen and we all know the reason.  It would only serve to incriminate Nevada more.  I suspect that that film by now has been burned.

23 hours ago, utaggies said:

No.  Something turned the heads of the coaches and set Sweet Caroline off from the Aggie locker room.  Of that there is no disagreement.  But what?  From the security film the Aggie players began entering the tunnel (in two groups) from the court about 15 seconds before Nevada’s stampede.  It’s certain that there was whooping and hollering from them as they approached their locker room.  Did someone chant, “Over-rated!” or “We’re #1” or sing “We are the champions!”?  Or was it the playing of “Sweet Caroline” by the band after the game?  Or was it presumably something more inflammatory.  All we know is that USU said there was “unacceptable behavior by some USU staff members.”  Was that behavior simply failure of an Aggie coach to shake hands after the game (as a reaction to the same snub by Nevada coaches) and the ensuing clap-back on the floor?  The best info we’ve got is that from a fan/cop on USU’s board (who participated to some degree in the investigation) and said that it was someone in the USU locker room yelling something about Nevada’s lack of class in the handshake line which was made in earshot (but not sight-line) of the Nevada contingent. 

But the Nevada take has been that deragatory things must have been said about Sweet Caroline in order to justify his meltdown.  To believe otherwise is to concede he is a fragile and emotional basket case who could go off the deep end again when he plays badly and his team suffers a loss.

The fact remains that Caroline had gone into his locker room, when something brought the coaches AND Caroline out, on fire, as well as the rest of the team. Plus , it looked like man-bun said ‘oh shit’ right before they all came out, he heard what was said, as well. None of that happened just because. 

6 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

The fact remains that Caroline had gone into his locker room, when something brought the coaches AND Caroline out, on fire, as well as the rest of the team. Plus , it looked like man-bun said ‘oh shit’ right before they all came out, he heard what was said, as well. None of that happened just because. 

I can’t believe I’m coming back into this....but nevertheless here I am. I believe the team was entering the locker room singing Sweet Caroline and that’s what set him off. At the Coach’s show someone sarcastically asked Coach Smith what his thoughts were on the song “Sweet Caroline”.  He grinned, laughed as to know why they were asking the question and immediately deflected. That led to me to believe that, at least USU believes that’s what caused him to snap. Caroline may tell a totally different story. We will probably never know. 

Ok. I’m out. Suck it!

Just as suspected. Entitled man-baby got mad and showed he is a criminal gangsta thug with his poor social skills. What adult in his right mind starts a fight over a song?

Should be a conviction, jail time and suspended indefinitely. Plus his season should be over! 

Of course reno fans will be toothless here, both literally and as a figure of speech. None of us are shocked by these man-baby and blind eye, coddling reno actions.

The fact remains that Caroline had gone into his locker room, when something brought the coaches AND Caroline out, on fire, as well as the rest of the team. Plus , it looked like man-bun said ‘oh shit’ right before they all came out, he heard what was said, as well. None of that happened just because. 

A couple of things — no one has said “nothing happened”.  Clearly something was heard from down the hall towards the USU locker room that caused Sweet Caroline’s “handlers” (the two who were accompanying him down the hallway in his moment of grief) to turn back down the hallway.  Three other Nevada staff came out of the locker room a second later and also turned down the hallway.  That’s when SC began his dead run back down the hallway.  SC never entered the Nevada locker room before he bolted.  He was in the hallway the entire time.  He ran through his 5 lead blockers in his sprint.  They all began chasing him.  At that moment the other players also bolted out of the locker room.  A coach (Mussellman?) tried to hold them back.  That was futile.  

The rest we know, except what was it that was heard that turned SC from a pathetic blob of humanity into the raging bull.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:53 PM, USU78 said:

It sure would have been better if press wonks had left this alone and let the schools handle the whole thing.  No incentive then for people to obfuscate or out and out invent things [I'm looking at Mrs Coach and KUTV here].

Have you seen KUTVs Facebook page?  All they do is continuously stir the pot on issues to get people to click on their page.  My brother bitches about them quite bit for their clickbait tactics.

50 minutes ago, utaggies said:

The fact remains that Caroline had gone into his locker room, when something brought the coaches AND Caroline out, on fire, as well as the rest of the team. Plus , it looked like man-bun said ‘oh shit’ right before they all came out, he heard what was said, as well. None of that happened just because. 

A couple of things — no one has said “nothing happened”.  Clearly something was heard from down the hall towards the USU locker room that caused Sweet Caroline’s “handlers” (the two who were accompanying him down the hallway in his moment of grief) to turn back down the hallway.  Three other Nevada staff came out of the locker room a second later and also turned down the hallway.  That’s when SC began his dead run back down the hallway.  SC never entered the Nevada locker room before he bolted.  He was in the hallway the entire time.  He ran through his 5 lead blockers in his sprint.  They all began chasing him.  At that moment the other players also bolted out of the locker room.  A coach (Mussellman?) tried to hold them back.  That was futile.  

The rest we know, except what was it that was heard that turned SC from a pathetic blob of humanity into the raging bull.

Man, for a fan of the winning team, you seem really butthurt. WTF!?

Didn't you think Caroline's punishment was severe enough?

27 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Man, for a fan of the winning team, you seem really butthurt. WTF!?

Didn't you think Caroline's punishment was severe enough?

Where’s the butt-hurt in anything I said?  I simply said something something happened to set Sweet Caroline off, but neither I nor you know what that is.  Unless you know and aren’t saying.  

I missed the part of anyone — either from USU or Nevada being punished.  Please illuminate me on Caroline’s punsihment.

2 minutes ago, utaggies said:

Where’s the butt-hurt in anything I said?  I simply said something something happened to set Sweet Caroline off, but neither I nor you know what that is.  Unless you know and aren’t saying.  

I missed the part of anyone — either from USU or Nevada being punished.  Please illuminate me on Caroline’s punsihment.

The butthurt is that you're still talking about it almost a week later.

Caroline hurt his hand, that was all the punishment deemed appropriate:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, cosinama said:

I can’t believe I’m coming back into this....but nevertheless here I am. I believe the team was entering the locker room singing Sweet Caroline and that’s what set him off. At the Coach’s show someone sarcastically asked Coach Smith what his thoughts were on the song “Sweet Caroline”.  He grinned, laughed as to know why they were asking the question and immediately deflected. That led to me to believe that, at least USU believes that’s what caused him to snap. Caroline may tell a totally different story. We will probably never know. 

Ok. I’m out. Suck it!

If that's actually what set him off, that is too hilarious. Too bad it's so late in the season, or every team in the conference would be blasting that before, during, and after the game.

But you have to think that Caroline's over reaction over something like that had to hurt whatever draft stock he had. That's probably why the UNR coaches are being so quiet about it.

30 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

If that's actually what set him off, that is too hilarious. Too bad it's so late in the season, or every team in the conference would be blasting that before, during, and after the game.

But you have to think that Caroline's over reaction over something like that had to hurt whatever draft stock he had. That's probably why the UNR coaches are being so quiet about it.

Nevada’s silence is the other thing that leads me to believe it. They also had their tv cameras there. Seems like if it was something else (racism or saying F you) Nevada would’ve disclosed it. 

Now im really out you dildos. 

5 hours ago, utaggies said:

His Andro kicked in?

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.