Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Nevada At Utah State

ESPN's bubble watch analysis.

"The entire Mountain West has had this game circled forever, and now it's finally here. Nevada is coming to Utah State at last, so allow Bubble Watch to phrase this question in its starkest terms: Can the Aggies, currently listed as one of Lunardi's last four teams in, get an at-large bid if they lose to the Wolf Pack in Logan?

The committee has done far wilder things than that, goodness knows, but on paper it would be difficult. USU's best win on the season is a neutral-floor victory over Saint Mary's - editor's note, followed by a road win at UC Irvine - and Craig Smith's men would be going up against competing bubble profiles with better bling than that. Conversely, a home win over Nevada at least gives this team its very best shot.

For the better part of the past two months, Utah State has played with an eye towed having this game matter. Now it's here, and it does." 

59 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Wally Szczerbiak on CBS  picked the Aggies.

It's a pick-em type of game given that USU will be playing with a level of desperation I'm not sure Nevada can muster.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

Nevada traditionally has had a hard time winning in Logan and if Nevada is to win this I think it would be one of those dog fights which could come down to the final basket. Both teams needs this victory, both would benefit from winning but only one team can win this thing. 

Personally I think Nevada has a lot more to lose by losing this game than USU does. Whoever wins this game wins the MWC Regular Season title.

The game is a sell out and it will be a top basketball environment. Im there in person and giddy to watch.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Nevada traditionally has had a hard time winning in Logan and if Nevada is to win this I think it would be one of those dog fights which could come down to the final basket. Both teams needs this victory, both would benefit from winning but only one team can win this thing. 

Personally I think Nevada has a lot more to lose by losing this game than USU does. Whoever wins this game wins the MWC Regular Season title.

USU essentially needs a win to win the regular season title. Even with a loss, Nevada would likely tie for the regular season title and be the 1 seed in the conference tournament.

I have seen both USU and UNR up close...and in my opinion...UNR will win the game...reason being they are the better team with better athletes...USU lost to better athletes in San Diego and NV...as a matter of fact...UNR ran them off the court in Reno...so what's changed?...UNR knows they can beat USU...another thing...USU is coming off a big win over SDSU...a team that was flat out physically and emotional drained from playing a supercharged game with UNR...playing a nail bitter two days later in Vegas...busing five hours back to SD...then jumping on a plane...then busing some more up the altitude to USU to play in a sold-out game a day and half later...three games in six days can and will wear on a team...but SDSU was still in the game till late...USU will be in no such luck against UNR...another thing...the USU crowd is not going to intimidate UNR after playing at UNM and SDSU...that's old hat for UNR...they will block it out this go round...Musselman will have them focused...lastly...UNR knows how to win the big game...USU just does not...when it gets to crunch time...they'll fold way faster than UNR will...it's pressure time for real...it's gonna be a great game hopefully...too bad I'll miss it watching my Aztecs.....

21 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

I have seen both USU and UNR up close...and in my opinion...UNR will win the game...reason being they are the better team with better athletes...USU lost to better athletes in San Diego and NV...as a matter of fact...UNR ran them off the court in Reno...so what's changed?...UNR knows they can beat USU...another thing...USU is coming off a big win over SDSU...a team that was flat out physically and emotional drained from playing a supercharged game with UNR...playing a nail bitter two days later in Vegas...busing five hours back to SD...then jumping on a plane...then busing some more up the altitude to USU to play in a sold-out game a day and half later...three games in six days can and will wear on a team...USU will be in no such luck against UNR...another thing...the USU crowd is not going to intimidate UNR after playing at UNM and SDSU...that's old hat for UNR...they will block it out this go round...Musselman will have them focused...lastly...UNR knows how to win the big game...USU just does not...when it gets to crunch time...they'll fold way faster than UNR will...it's pressure time for real...it's gonna be a great game hopefully...too bad I'll miss it watching my Aztecs.....

It doesn’t appear that you’ve been watching USU up close. Rotation of players is very different and key players, such as Bean and Porter, were not playing as much they are the first time these teams met two months ago. As great as Viejas and The Pit are, they don’t compare to a packed Spectrum, where the fans are rabid and relentless, in equal measure. With that said, Nevada has been in the big game so they know how to keep their composure. USU is a young team, so it’ll be interesting to see if they come out with too much juice. Their offense has had more frequent stretches of shooting droughts the past few weeks, but they’ve stepped up their defense in a big way. Obviously looking forward to it. I think it’ll be a lot closer than it was in Reno, but the Aggie pessimist in me fears that the ‘pack will still escape with a win. 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

17 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

I have seen both USU and UNR up close...and in my opinion...UNR will win the game...reason being they are the better team with better athletes...USU lost to better athletes in San Diego and NV...as a matter of fact...UNR ran them off the court in Reno...so what's changed?...UNR knows they can beat USU...another thing...USU is coming off a big win over SDSU...a team that was flat out physically and emotional drained from playing a supercharged game with UNR...playing a nail bitter two days later in Vegas...busing five hours back to SD...then jumping on a plane...then busing some more up the altitude to USU to play in a sold-out game a day and half later...three games in six days can and will wear on a team...but SDSU was still in the game till late...USU will be in no such luck against UNR...another thing...the USU crowd is not going to intimidate UNR after playing at UNM and SDSU...that's old hat for UNR...they will block it out this go round...Musselman will have them focused...lastly...UNR knows how to win the big game...USU just does not...when it gets to crunch time...they'll fold way faster than UNR will...it's pressure time for real...it's gonna be a great game hopefully...too bad I'll miss it watching my Aztecs.....

No matter the reasons playing on the road instead of at home is a whole different animal.Being a Nevada fan, it's a bit hard to shake what happened on the road at NM and SDSU. That said GO Pack!!!:cheers:

14 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

Nevada does have better athletes and better players. Yes, UNM and SDSU are great home courts. USU has a great shot at winning and it has everything to do with the home court. I think the Spectrum (at its best) is a notch above any arena in the MW. A few reasons for this: the fans are so much closer to the action in the spectrum and the roof is so much lower. Really locks the sound in. That plus 4,000 rabid students. The only outcome that would surprise me is a blowout in either direction. I think this is a close game most of the way. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

People camping out to get into the  Spectrum to watch their mid major team play another mid major team is probably the most surreal thing in this most surreal Pack season.

I have no idea who will win.  Probably just comes down to who is hitting 3's.

15 minutes ago, Bob said:

yes. I expect a Pack blowout.

This question was posed to the board a few years ago, but I don't think you participated then. Why do you hate USU so much?