Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at #12/13 Nevada

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

I don’t know that you will. The Martins and Caroline were responsible for what, 67 of your points? And they are 5th year seniors who have had a few years together, along with your other two 5th year starters. No matter who you have coming back, or in, you will not replicate what you have right now. I have no doubt that you will be good, but you just will not be nearly as good as you are right now. Good luck the rest of the season, and into the tournament. Make us all proud. 

And the rebels aren’t even relevant to that conversation. Just sayin. 

With what we have coming back, together with the transfers already coming in, redshirt freshmen and new transfers & recruits, if Muss stays, we could easily be in the top 25 again.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, qwelish said:

Not saying reno is not a decent offensive team, but I dont see scheme as how reno win games.

A lot of times the pass goes to Caleb on the wing and he hits fall away 3's from the triple threat position. Those are assists, but thats not a lot of scheme. Thats talent, size and skill. Those are tough shots!

Jordan just man-childs guys under the basket and lays it back up. Thats man among boys. 

Cody also hit a couple 3's that werent wide open, except he's 6-7 and just rose up and shot over the defender.

Not saying Muss cant coach. He can, but talent and the size of the guards is a big deal for the offense.

We have a game-in-game-out goal of completing more than 200 passes in a game and most games that happens.  Isolation is definitely one of the half dozen ways we can beat you offensively, but we are not a one-trick pony.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Actually I did watch them play during those months. 

It's the talent level of the Martins and Caroline, like weve been discussing, that allows the scheme to look good and be effective. Not the other way around. 

Its no surprise that the teams who have beat or played reno close have been teams with size in the backcourt and depth in the frontcourt. The Martins have size and talent, and Caroline is a talented match up problem. 

Stats do sometimes lie, because both twins hit a number of contested 3's with guys in their face. Caroline just went up and took the ball away from a few UNLV guys who were playing out of position.

UNLV just does not match up with reno because the back court is small and not super athletic or talented. Right now the front court is super thin and inexperienced with all freshmen, sophomores and a walk-on jr.

There was nothing impressive about renos scheme. It's not bad, its suited to the personnel, but there was a huge continuity and talent disparity between the two teams.

With respect for the bolded fragment in your last sentence, of course Muss’ scheme is suited to his personnel. This is one of his greatest strengths as a coach, along with player development. Are your posts another example of fans from another school attempting to delegitimization the accomplishments of their rival program? Muss doesn’t scheme effectively—or not as effectively as he could—for his players. His teams win by out talenting opponents rather than outcoaching them. Lol.

If that helps you through the continuous pain of being a Rebel basketball fan, thats okay with me. Meanwhile, I’ll continue enjoying the great product Muss has put together in Reno.

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

With what we have coming back, together with the transfers already coming in, redshirt freshmen and new transfers & recruits, if Muss stays, we could easily be in the top 25 again.  

I hope you are. good luck.

34 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

UNLV needs a strong offseason.  Might need to push out a guy or two.  Also need to develop current players.

Who do you think maybe gets pushed out?

8k3esKz.png

15 minutes ago, Chrysis said:

Who do you think maybe gets pushed out?

Djordjije Sljivancanin will probably retire.  Tervell Beck will probably be asked to leave.  That would give them one opening if Juiston comes back.

2 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

With respect for the bolded fragment in your last sentence, of course Muss’ scheme is suited to his personnel. This is one of his greatest strengths as a coach, along with player development. Are your posts another example of fans from another school attempting to delegitimization the accomplishments of their rival program? Muss doesn’t scheme effectively—or not as effectively as he could—for his players. His teams win by out talenting opponents rather than outcoaching them. Lol.

If that helps you through the continuous pain of being a Rebel basketball fan, thats okay with me. Meanwhile, I’ll continue enjoying the great product Muss has put together in Reno.

I only care about UNLV.

You conflate scheme with the overall product.

The scheme is good, but reno has great continuity and talent. If the scheme was so great, Marvin would never have beat Muss in his house, when Muss has the far superior talent.

Last season two of the three games vs UNLV were an 8 pt loss and a 5 pt win.

With reno replacing 5 of its top 6 producers, and UNLV bringing everyone back, adding redshirts and freshmen, Im hoping to close the talent gap and finally enjoy the product at UNLV.

12 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I only care about UNLV.

You conflate scheme with the overall product.

The scheme is good, but reno has great continuity and talent. If the scheme was so great, Marvin would never have beat Muss in his house, when Muss has the far superior talent.

Last season two of the three games vs UNLV were an 8 pt loss and a 5 pt win.

With reno replacing 5 of its top 6 producers, and UNLV bringing everyone back, adding redshirts and freshmen, Im hoping to close the talent gap and finally enjoy the product at UNLV.

Whos going to stop our 2 5 stars next year in Jordan brown and soon to be Kyree Walker?

Jalen Harris will also be in the running for player of the year he is sitting out this year we will be loaded next year

3 hours ago, fbpack said:

Whos going to stop our 2 5 stars next year in Jordan brown and soon to be Kyree Walker?

Jalen Harris will also be in the running for player of the year he is sitting out this year we will be loaded next year

Loaded is fine. But will they pose the same type of match up problems? Kyree might be great, but is he better than Caleb and Cody and all the years those two have played together? 

Brown looks like a good player, but is he much better than Ntambwe?

The gap is going to close in a big way. Even if Muss brings in good players.