Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

The Worst MWC Basketball Season......Ever?

Yes.:frustrated:

http://nevadasportsnet.com/sports/mens-basketball/is-this-the-worst-the-mountain-west-has-ever-been-the-numbers-tell-the-story

The MW hasn't been the same since that high-water 2012-13 season. It's easy to blame the lower average KenPom ranking on the addition of San Jose State, a move than never should have been made, but it is more than that.

* Bigger has not been better for the MW. The expansion from nine teams to 11 teams following the massive realignment of the early 2010s hasn't been great for the MW. This realignment was almost entirely dictated by football, but it has negatively impacted the MW's basketball product. The conference was at its best in basketball when it was at eight or nine teams. It's been watered down since moving to 11 teams.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

I'd say it's got as much to do with coaching.  If Fisher is still at SDSU, they don't drop IMO.   UNM coaching turnover has resulted in less that UNM quality product and UNLV lost it's way trying to find the right coach. 

If those 3 teams are where they belong, there's no issue in the MWC regardless of adding boat anchors to the conference.   Nevada again has a solid coach and they're at the top because of that.   

The rest of us have journeyman coaches or coaches too new to evaluate yet.  USU may have a winner.   Fresno may as well.  We'll see on both. 

On paper yes its definitely the worst, but history womt remember that. If Nevada at least wins a game or two in March it will be better than the years that our champs went one and done.

The reality for mid majors is that the top matters much more than the bottom and middle, same in football.

17 hours ago, roughrider said:

I'd say it's got as much to do with coaching.  If Fisher is still at SDSU, they don't drop IMO.   UNM coaching turnover has resulted in less that UNM quality product and UNLV lost it's way trying to find the right coach. 

If those 3 teams are where they belong, there's no issue in the MWC regardless of adding boat anchors to the conference.   Nevada again has a solid coach and they're at the top because of that.   

The rest of us have journeyman coaches or coaches too new to evaluate yet.  USU may have a winner.   Fresno may as well.  We'll see on both. 

I think most of it is coaching, actually. 

USU

CSU

Wyoming

SDSU

New Mexico 

All of theses guys had really good coaches at that time, and have struggled to find the right one, since. USU was in the WAC, but they were usually good. During Stews 18 years there, he went to the tourney 8 times. The upset of 5th seed Ohio State in OT was a highlight. They got past the 1st round only twice in the 8 appearances. 

SDSU and UNM being down is the biggest killer. The only team that has a better coach now is Nevada. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I think most of it is coaching, actually. 

USU

CSU

Wyoming

SDSU

New Mexico 

All of theses guys had really good coaches at that time, and have struggled to find the right one, since. USU was in the WAC, but they were usually good. During Stews 18 years there, he went to the tourney 8 times. The upset of 5th seed Ohio State in OT was a highlight. They got past the 1st round only twice once in the 8 appearances. 

SDSU and UNM being down is the biggest killer. The only team that has a better coach now is Nevada. 

fify 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

BSU has been disappointing this year.  For the most part, they compete but can’t complete.  Their schedule is nothing to get excited about and we have a losing record.  Oh well, I’ll still be in my seat today at TBA with hopes that we can finish against USU.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:16 AM, renoskier said:

Yes.:frustrated:

http://nevadasportsnet.com/sports/mens-basketball/is-this-the-worst-the-mountain-west-has-ever-been-the-numbers-tell-the-story

The MW hasn't been the same since that high-water 2012-13 season. It's easy to blame the lower average KenPom ranking on the addition of San Jose State, a move than never should have been made, but it is more than that.

MWC basketball goes the way Wyoming basketball goes :) 

Image result for paper bag fan

The World Needs More Cowboys!

I think it at least appears/feels that way when you look back at this conference's zenith. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

What is interesting is you can say the same thing about the PAC. I can’t remember them ever being this bad in either basketball or football. 

It seems all of West Coast hoops can fit squarely in Gonzaga's jock strap with room to spare.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I suspect things will be better for the conference next year:

Nevada won’t be as good, but will still be good

Utah State could be really good with another athletic impact player

Fresno State is uncertain. They lose some good players, but have recruited well

SDSU should be similar and could be better if their young guys come through. Still Watson and MCDaniels are big losses

Boise State will be better with more depth

UNLV will be better thru experience

CSU I don’t know much about

AF has most of their team back

Wyoming will get some of the injured back and can’t be worse

New Mexico is hard to figure, but I think they will rebound from a mediocre season

SJSU can’t be any worse can they?

I think the league has bottomed out and will start trending upward next year. 

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I suspect things will be better for the conference next year:

Nevada won’t be as good, but will still be good

Utah State could be really good with another athletic impact player

Fresno State is uncertain. They lose some good players, but have recruited well

SDSU should be similar and could be better if their young guys come through. Still Watson and MCDaniels are big losses

Boise State will be better with more depth

UNLV will be better thru experience

CSU I don’t know much about

AF has most of their team back

Wyoming will get some of the injured back and can’t be worse

New Mexico is hard to figure, but I think they will rebound from a mediocre season

SJSU can’t be any worse can they?

I think the league has bottomed out and will start trending upward next year. 

Nevada will be a smoking crater.

Utah State will be much better because they have Merrill and A COACH THAT KNOWS HOW TO BUILD A ROSTER... unlike a certain hyper active Pit Yorkie

SDSU loses some key players BUT we have Malachi Flynn, 16ppg/ 4ast in the Pac12 coming in to fill one spot and KJ Feagin, a 17ppg,  WCC grad transfer filling another. I mean, they didn't star at Louisiana Tech or walk on from Northern Az or anything but they're pretty good.  Jalen will be hard to replace but the potential is there with Arop, the other Mensah, Ed Chang or Keshad Johnson, an incoming freshman from Oakland. We have that potential because we have A COACH THAT KNOWS HOW TO BUILD A ROSTER... unlike a certain hyper active Pit Yorkie

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

20 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Someone needs a hug

LOL. The entire Nevada fan base will need a hug next year. They won't deserve one but they'll need one nonetheless.

You have a college coach that is manifestly disinterested in developing talent. He only wants to coach it and would prefer other coaching staffs develop it for him.

PS; you're not that good THIS year with Caroline and the Olsen Twins.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

33 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

LOL. The entire Nevada fan base will need a hug next year. They won't deserve one but they'll need one nonetheless.

You have a college coach that is manifestly disinterested in developing talent. He only wants to coach it and would prefer other coaching staffs develop it for him.

PS; you're not that good THIS year with Caroline and the Olsen Twins.

So you’re saying you would choose Dutcher over Muss?

29 minutes ago, Sputnik46 said:

So you’re saying you would choose Dutcher over Muss?

I'll let their head to head record speak for itself. 

Keeping in mind of course the VASTLY superior talent Mess........I mean Muss has attracted to the bowling capitol of the US.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, Sputnik46 said:

OK, so would you choose Dutcher over Muss?

I see you're a Nevada Smoking Crater fan so I'll use emoji:thumbsup:.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke