Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Mueller Report Out Next Week?

Bookmarking my Prediction:

1. Various individual Trump election officials attempted to conspire with Russian actors in or close to the Russian government to negatively impact Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election. There is little to no evidence that these attempts impacted the outcome of the election.

2. While there remain questions as to whether Trump knew about or was involved in those efforts himself, the investigation found no clear evidence implicating him personally in those attempts.

3. Trump probably obstructed justice in the aftermath of the election and throughout this investigation.

4. It is not the Justice Department's responsibility to hold the President accountable for these things. To avoid a constitutional crisis, the Justice Department will not pursue any actions against the president. It is Congress' responsibility to decide if the points described above merit action and should result in impeachment. 

Dems wills say this proves something-or-other, Fox News and the GOP will say this completely absolves the president. We will be in the same place we are now, and we have been for the last 2 years.

Looking forward to it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

6 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

1. Various individual Trump election officials attempted to conspire with Russian actors in or close to the Russian government to negatively impact Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election. There is little to no evidence that these attempts impacted the outcome of the election.

2. While there remain questions as to whether Trump knew about or was involved in those efforts himself, the investigation found no clear evidence implicating him personally in those attempts.

3. Trump probably obstructed justice in the aftermath of the election and throughout this investigation.

4. It is not the Justice Department's responsibility to hold the President accountable for these things. To avoid a constitutional crisis, the Justice Department will not pursue any actions against the president. It is Congress' responsibility to decide if the points described above merit action and should result in impeachment. 

Dems wills say this proves something-or-other, Fox News and the GOP will say this completely absolves the president. We will be in the same place we are now, and we have been for the last 2 years.

Looking forward to it.

I pretty much think this is how it will go down.  I said several months ago our only hope to rid ourselves of Trump is if he strokes out.  I stand by that statement.

I'm thinking, after the report, the House will impeach and the Senate will shut it down.

There will be no removal from office, but Democratic members of Congress can say that they demanded his removal, while tying the Republican Party closer to him.

I would even say it's probably good (if ineffectual) politics for them to impeach, but it will also further solidify Trump's base.

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

I'm thinking, after the report, the House will impeach and the Senate will shut it down.

There will be no removal from office, but Democratic members of Congress can say that they demanded his removal, while tying the Republican Party closer to him.

I would even say it's probably good (if ineffectual) politics for them to impeach, but it will also further solidify Trump's base.

I think if impeachment was entirely up to Pelosi, it wouldn't happen. The reason is Nancy is all about practicality and knows the Senate will never convict and she doesn't want to chance riling up Trump's base. However, rather than being about pragmatism, the House's left wing newbies are entirely motivated by hatred of the fake prez so all they really care about is embarrassing him and forcing the guy to defend himself in the Senate would serve that purpose.

Since it's apparent Mueller hasn't been able to link Trump himself to Russian election interference, my opinion is if there's solid evidence in the report that Trump engaged in acts constituting obstruction of justice, the House Dems should impeach. However, if not, they shouldn't.

Edit: Forgot to say this. I'll add to smalltownrocker's prediction that there will be something in the Mueller report which implicates Don Jr. in what Trump the Elder has called (about a million times) "collusion." Unlike his old man, Junior isn't president and so can be indicted but whether Mueller will go that far is an open question.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I think if impeachment was entirely up to Pelosi, it wouldn't happen. The reason is Nancy is all about practicality and knows the Senate will never convict and she doesn't want to chance riling up Trump's base. However, rather than being about pragmatism, the House's left wing newbies are entirely motivated by hatred of the fake prez so all they really care about is embarrassing him and forcing the guy to defend himself in the Senate would serve that purpose.

Since it's apparent Mueller hasn't been able to link Trump himself to Russia's election interference, my opinion is if there's solid evidence in the report that Trump engaged in acts constituting obstruction of justice, the House Dems should impeach. However, if not, they shouldn't.

This is the reason Pelosi is in there as speaker more than anything, IMO. If they impeach in the house before the election, we know for a fact that there is at least a strategic reason for doing so. I highly doubt that she moves to impeach unless the evidence is so compelling that she knows the Senate will convict, or there's some data or compelling theory that the impeachment process will somehow help Democrats in some way.

Conventional wisdom says impeachment without conviction is a disaster for Democrats. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Looking forward to it.

I think that's a pretty solid prediction. Along with that list, I'm going to add the following: "Teams and shit." 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

At it's crux the whole thing will be a nothing-burger on par with Geraldo finding Road Maps in Al Capone's glovebox...

But, each side will read into it whatever they want to, and nothing will change. The autistic screeching on both sides will continue, unabated. 

The findings will be this.

Trump talked to some Russians.  Trump tried to do business in Russia.

No evidence of any wrong doing.

The morons who hate businessmen will claim this is proof Trump is bad.  Several democrats will pound the drums of impeachment because businessmen are bad!

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

At it's crux the whole thing will be a nothing-burger on par with Geraldo finding Road Maps in Al Capone's glovebox...

But, each side will read into it whatever they want to, and nothing will change. The autistic screeching on both sides will continue, unabated. 

I bet @jackmormonand @retrofade will find something massively damning in it.

v0icAvfW.jpg

5 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

The findings will be this.

Trump talked to some Russians.  Trump tried to do business in Russia.

No evidence of any wrong doing.

The morons who hate businessmen will claim this is proof Trump is bad.  Several democrats will pound the drums of impeachment because businessmen are bad!

3 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Is the AG shutting everything down? Will the report ever see the light of day?

I don’t think this is the AG shutting it down.  It’s been speculated for awhile that he would wrap up in the first quarter of 2019. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

29 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I don’t think this is the AG shutting it down.  It’s been speculated for awhile that he would wrap up in the first quarter of 2019. 

The timing seems odd if this report bears out. He just arrested Roger Stone and still have a lot of evidence to sift though it seems like there are still a lot of loose ends to tie up. 

2 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

The timing seems odd if this report bears out. He just arrested Roger Stone and still have a lot of evidence to sift though it seems like there are still a lot of loose ends to tie up. 

We have no idea if there are any loose ends still. You’re making quite a few assumptions with your statement.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater