Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

BYU Fans Upset playing in HS-sized Gyms

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Emery played vs SDSU.

Sagarin says BYU is 67, behind Nevada, USU, and Fresno

Thanks for the correction on Emery.  He was held out of the first 9 games - didn't check to make sure that included all the MWC games on the schedule.

I was referring to Sagarin's new "Recent" rankings - they are listed in the far right column of his rankings next to the Predictor and Golden Mean.  I just learned of their existence earlier today.  This is how he describes them on his site:

The RECENT, is score-based and weights RECENT play more heavily than earlier games. Its effect will become more pronounced the longer a season goes if a given team happens to have an upward or downward trend.

19 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

The NCAA counts First Four wins as Tourney wins.  So technically the BW has three NCAA wins this decade with Hawaii sandwiched between UC Davis (2017) and Cal Poly (2014)

But this is about the Church League.  No WCC team outside of Gonzaga or Saint Mary's has won an NCAA game since 2008.  And your other non-triumvirate buddies have just two wins total since 2000. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.  BYU won in the First Four in its first year in the WCC in 2012 (vs Iona).  It won three other games since 2008 (2010 vs Florida, 2011 vs Wofford and Gonzaga), but those wins were as members of the MWC.

14 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Thanks for the correction on Emery.  He was held out of the first 9 games - didn't check to make sure that included all the MWC games on the schedule.

I was referring to Sagarin's new "Recent" rankings - they are listed in the far right column of his rankings next to the Predictor and Golden Mean.  I just learned of their existence earlier today.  This is how he describes them on his site:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.  BYU won in the First Four in its first year in the WCC in 2012 (vs Iona).  It won three other games since 2008 (2010 vs Florida, 2011 vs Wofford and Gonzaga), but those wins were as members of the MWC.

Yes, I was referring to wins as members of the WCC. Thank you for the correction.

Fixed: Since 2000 (Pepperdine), you have USD (2008) and BYU (2012 - First Four) notching NCAA wins.  

Guest #1Stunner
47 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They won games in 2004 and 2005. That's not "decades"

My bad.  I keep forgetting Pacific was in the Big West back then.

Guest #1Stunner
28 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Yes, I was referring to wins as members of the WCC. Thank you for the correction.

Fixed: Since 2000 (Pepperdine), you have USD (2008) and BYU (2012 - First Four) notching NCAA wins.  

Are you counting Pacific wins for the WCC or the Big West?

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Are you counting Pacific wins for the WCC or the Big West?

Pacific's wins in '04 and '05 came as a member of the BW....

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

What?!?   :rotflmfao:

They have lost how many games over the past 3 years?

Didn't they beat Duke this year?   

Plus they haven't resorted to giving out fake degrees to athletes in order to win (North Carolina). 

I mean, you can disagree, but they are a top 5 program in the country.

8 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

They have lost how many games over the past 3 years?

Didn't they beat Duke this year?   

Plus they haven't resorted to giving out fake degrees to athletes in order to win (North Carolina). 

I mean, you can disagree, but they are a top 5 program in the country.

They play in an easy league.  A team that 

neither can really any other school in the Country

match would have a national title, or numerous Final Fours.  They have been to one natty game and in the last ten years have a losing record to both schools I root for.  No one can match, huh?  Gonzaga is a great squad, but you made a terribly laughable comment.  Their program is matched by every blue-blood and a couple more. Very easily too.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

They play in an easy league.  A team that 

match would have a national title, or numerous Final Fours.  They have been to one natty game and in the last ten years have a losing record to both schools I root for.  No one can match, huh?  Gonzaga is a great squad, but you made a terribly laughable comment.  Their program is matched by every blue-blood and a couple more. Very easily too.

Gonzaga plays a challenging OOC schedule.  Some blue bloods play an easy OOC schedule.  Big whoop.....

In the past 3 years, which programs do you honestly think are head and shoulders better than Gonzaga?   You don't seem to want to identify any...  Are those schools under investigation by the NCAA or something???

I repeat ...No other program in the country is significantly better than Gonzaga over the past 3 years.   Gonzaga is a top 5 program.

11 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

@East Coast Aztec

What schools do you root for?  SDSU and Minnesota?  I don't recall that Gonzaga played either school recently (I could be wrong).

And I'm talking about the past 3 years... Not 10 years ago.

SDSU just beat em last year and going with just 3 years, is 1-1.  UNC beat em twice in 3 years.  Gonzaga is great, but you made a laughable statement saying no one else matches them.  Villanova, Duke, Kansas, Michigan, Kentucky, UNC, even Virginia's collapsing selves are matches with Gonzaga.  Throw in Wisconsin and MSU as right there as well.

I get your need to have Gonzaga be your Alabama, but at least be realistic and say they are at the top with the best, not that they are unmatched.

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

SDSU just beat em last year and going with just 3 years, is 1-1.  UNC beat em twice in 3 years.  Gonzaga is great, but you made a laughable statement saying no one else matches them.  Villanova, Duke, Kansas, Michigan, Kentucky, UNC, even Virginia's collapsing selves are matches with Gonzaga.  Throw in Wisconsin and MSU as right there as well.

I get your need to have Gonzaga be your Alabama, but at least be realistic and say they are at the top with the best, not that they are unmatched.

SDSU is a national power.  They are top 10 nationally over the past 5 years.   Respect to the Aztecs.  An elite power.

UNC?----didn't they get caught for giving out fake degrees to players?  One of their players said he only went there, because they promised him he would never have to attend class ever (it worked for him).    Kudos to them for having to cheat to keep up with real programs, like Duke, etc.

The other schools you listed----all on Gonzaga's same exact level the past 3 years.  

I'm not sure why you insist that Gonzaga isn't some sort of national program the past 3 years.  Heck.... this year alone they are currently ranked 2nd in the NET rankings.   They beat the best team in the AAC---Duke.

If you think everyone else has it wrong about them, that the various ranking sites are all wrong, and that Gonzaga isn't really a top 5 program, we'll have to agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

SDSU is a national power.  They are top 10 nationally over the past 5 years.   Respect to the Aztecs.  An elite power.

UNC?----didn't they get caught for giving out fake degrees to players?  One of their players said he only went there, because they promised him he would never have to attend class ever (it worked for him).    Kudos to them for having to cheat to keep up with real programs, like Duke, etc.

The other schools you listed----all on Gonzaga's same exact level the past 3 years.  

I'm not sure why you insist that Gonzaga isn't some sort of national program the past 3 years.  Heck.... this year alone they are currently ranked 2nd in the NET rankings.   They beat the best team in the AAC---Duke.

If you think everyone else has it wrong about them, that the various ranking sites are all wrong, and that Gonzaga isn't really a top 5 program, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Thank you for walking back your original "no one matches them" comment to my "they are at the top with the best"

Glad you saw your fallacy and respect your correction.  :cheers:

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, East Coast Aztec said:

Thank you for walking back your original "no one matches them" comment to my "they are at the top with the best"

Glad you saw your fallacy and respect your correction.  :cheers:

You got me! 

I better rephrase (be patient with me, I'm a simple movie theater custodian, prone to exaggerating, and not a grammarian!!!!).

I can only think of even 2 other programs that come close to "matching" Gonzaga over the past 3 years----Duke and Villanova (clean programs, that require class attendance by their athletes).   I'd put SDSU as maybe 1 level below these three.

Who am I missing?  Michigan State?  No.   Wisconsin?  Nope.   Kentucky?   Not lately.

24 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

You got me! 

I better rephrase (be patient with me, I'm a simple movie theater custodian, prone to exaggerating, and not a grammarian!!!!).

I can only think of even 2 other programs that come close to "matching" Gonzaga over the past 3 years----Duke and Villanova (clean programs, that require class attendance by their athletes).   I'd put SDSU as maybe 1 level below these three.

Who am I missing?  Michigan State?  No.   Wisconsin?  Nope.   Kentucky?   Not lately.

come on Stunner, Villanova has won it two of the last 3 years?  Gonzaga isn't matching Villanova, that's laughable.  That's like saying Notre Dame is matching Clemson/Alabama in football.

But I will agree the Zags are a top 5 program over the last couple of years.

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

come on Stunner, Villanova has won it two of the last 3 years?  Gonzaga isn't matching Villanova, that's laughable.  That's like saying Notre Dame is matching Clemson/Alabama in football.

But I will agree the Zags are a top 5 program over the last couple of years.

Villanova????

They didn't have to play in Provo, with fans throwing stuff at them, and saying Mormon swear words (Darn, Frick, Shoot!!!!).

Nope... Gonzaga is battle tested.

Also, I think Gonzaga didn't like playing a tourney game in SLC, where they were booed constant by Ute fans in attendance.

20 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I'm thrilled (thrilled) when these WCC / BYU posts start on here (It's a gift).

Allow me to give a tour of the WCC!

BYU (Marriott Center)

Marriott_Center-1.jpg

Gonzaga (McCarthy)

McCarthey.jpg

That's nice, but I linked to BYU fans complaining.  Apparently you are happy with playing in said gyms in the WCC.  Not all BYU fans are.

21 minutes ago, RamSack said:

That's nice, but I linked to BYU fans complaining.  Apparently you are happy with playing in said gyms in the WCC.  Not all BYU fans are.

My response to the complaining BYU fans

Guest #1Stunner
43 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

we booed them because they backed out of joining the MWC, we could have had 2-3 great games between the Zags and Nevada this year :)  and also because the PAC-12 has been so bad in basketball as of late we just hate the sport.

West Coast area basketball is a turd sandwich right now...

PAC12 probably a 2 bid league.

WCC a 1 bid league

MWC a 1 bid league (maybe 2 if Nevada is upset in the MWC tourney) 

Big West -- 1 bid

WAC -- 1 bid.

That's bad.   Basketball used to be THE sport the west was really good at.