Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

John Wayne will not be hosting the Oscars

Some of these people need a hobby.  Or a girlfriend.  Or a boyfriend if that’s what they’re into. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, sebasour said:

I mean he does seem like kind of an ass based off of those interviews

Well yeah.  But we also need to look at the context.  He was born in 1907 so at the time of the interview he was 65.  I’m not shocked that a 65 year old man would hold racist and assholish views in 1971.  The fact that somebody even brought it up is funny.  We have too much free time. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Where did you find this stuff Mug?

Careful - it's going to give the Tool a woody.  Damn, if it weren't an article from 1971 I'd have thought it was some posts the Tool made here.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

2 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Where did you find this stuff Mug?

Careful - it's going to give the Tool a woody.  Damn, if it weren't an article from 1971 I'd have thought it was some posts the Tool made here.

It showed up on twitter trends. 

Just now, Boise fan said:

I don't twitter as much as you.  Guess I'm not as trendy. :unsure:

Twitter is like the mwcboard but worse and with worse people.  

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Well yeah.  But we also need to look at the context.  He was born in 1907 so at the time of the interview he was 65.  I’m not shocked that a 65 year old man would hold racist and assholish views in 1971.  The fact that somebody even brought it up is funny.  We have too much free time. 

This is the thing with these types of "outrages" - People are the product of the times they lived in, and most adhere close to the mainstream thinking of those era when they lived - Hard to nitpick 2019 expectations on people from the past 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

This is the thing with these types of "outrages" - People are the product of the times they lived in, and most adhere close to the mainstream thinking of those era when they lived - Hard to nitpick 2019 expectations on people from the past 

Wait until he finds out that some of our first presidents owned slaves. 

15 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yeah I mean I don't know the context here, if someone actively went out and tried to find dirt on an actor whose been dead for 40 years, then that would be kind of odd. 

Though if they stumbled across a random Playboy article and decided to share it, I don't really see a problem. Reminding people that we're not that far removed from some pretty +++++ed up views being mainstream does have value.

John Wayne being an asshole isn't going to effect my Wednesday afternoon in the slightest 

1 minute ago, sebasour said:

Yeah I mean I don't know the context here, if someone actively went out and tried to find dirt on an actor whose been dead for 40 years, then that would be kind of odd. 

Though if they stumbled across a random Playboy article and decided to share it, I don't really see a problem. Reminding people that we're not that far removed from some pretty +++++ed up views being mainstream does have value.

John Wayne being an asshole isn't going to effect my Wednesday afternoon in the slightest 

Except it’s Tuesday :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Yeah like the guy who penned "All men are created equal" 

Right? Should I tell him or nah. :lol:

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

And don't get the ladies started on the "All MEN...'' part :ph34r:

Did you just assume my gender?  723D6A4B-B030-42B5-9D4F-70E0ED087C56.gif

28 minutes ago, mugtang said:

You're right. But I'd be willing to bet that the John Wayne statue at the Orange County airport is going to go down because of this. Finally, something liberals can be outraged about amidst them faking hate crimes, prominent democrats in blackface/KKK costumes and allegations of sexual assault.  :lol:

They'll take the high road digging through what some dead conservative actor born in 1907 said in 1971, but total crickets when it comes to racism coming from their own party in 2019. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif