Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDSUfan

OT: Padres Sign Machado for $300mil-10years

11 minutes ago, Lost Poke said:

The Machado deal is great news for Nolan Arenado, and bad news for the Rockies.  After this season, 'Nado will be looking to match or beat that number....and the Rockies aren't likely to do it for such a long contract term.

With an aging Turner at third base, the Dodgers are going to be all over Arenado.

44 minutes ago, Lost Poke said:

The Machado deal is great news for Nolan Arenado, and bad news for the Rockies.  After this season, 'Nado will be looking to match or beat that number....and the Rockies aren't likely to do it for such a long contract term.

He's going to end up a Yankee before it's all said and done, I'm afraid. 

On 2/19/2019 at 1:12 PM, Slapdad said:

Urias and Tatis have great potential, but at this point, who knows to what extent they're realize that potential as of right now, both are ranked around 15-19 for their positions.  Hosmer is a middle of the pack 1st baseman (at best).....he ranks slightly above average to below average in most of the rankings and has been very inconsistent and his offensive metrics haven't been great the past few years either. That being said, the Padres have a great farm system with a lot of talent in the pipeline and that's another reason I don't like the move. Machado is the last personality I'd build a young club around. That's just me though. 

Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. Tatis is rated the #2 prospect in baseball. Not the #15-19 prospect at his position. The Padres have 9 minor league players ranked in the top 100 by Baseball America. Last season 2 rookie starting pitchers came up and pitched quite well for most of the season. The Padres have a pitcher who is the Texas league pitcher of the year and had a sub 2 ERA in the PCL in the 5 games he pitched there. The Padres have one of the top catching prospects in baseball. The Padres have a ton of young talent on the roster and minors. 3B was a missing position. Machdo was a great addition. Hopefuly Hosmer will have a bounceback season but this move is mostly for 2020-2022. Those are the target seasons when the Padres will have a bunch of talent in their prime. 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:43 AM, Del Scorcho said:

it always seems when a team goes all in on a high priced free agent, it never works out (see Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, etc).  I think the Padres would have been better off spending that same $300 million on 3-4 solid but not great free agents.

Machado is 26 years old...big difference. 

8 hours ago, rudolro said:

You and I dont know how long he can play because of injuries. But with certainty he's numbers will start to decline after 30. This isn't a risk I would've taken. 5 years for $150 would be a better return.

Also active payroll right now for the Pads is $43 mil that's not with Machado. Between he and Hosmer the Pads will paying roughly $50 mill on two players.  In 18 total payroll was $79 million.

That doesn't leave much to build on.

MM will be 29 this year

He was born July 6 1992...you do the math. 

A few years ago, the last season that teams could spend unrestricted amounts of money on foreign free agents, the Padres spent a ton in that market. They were fined and given a 2 year signing penalty, but the results are being felt throughout their minor league system. They have also traded many players for minor league players always getting players who would be ready for the 2020 season. They have a ton of talent just below major league readiness. They played a ton of rookies last season and will promote many more this season. They will probably also make trades to fit players into that window since many foreign players are still quite young. The Padres will be a serious contenders by 2020 if not this season. One scout stated that if you remove the Padres top 5 minor league prospects they would still be a top 5 minor league system. Padres minors are rated #1 by everyone. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/padres-join-excellent-company-as-no-1-farm-system/

4 hours ago, AztecBill said:

Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. Tatis is rated the #2 prospect in baseball. Not the #15-19 prospect at his position. The Padres have 9 minor league players ranked in the top 100 by Baseball America. Last season 2 rookie starting pitchers came up and pitched quite well for most of the season. The Padres have a pitcher who is the Texas league pitcher of the year and had a sub 2 ERA in the PCL in the 5 games he pitched there. The Padres have one of the top catching prospects in baseball. The Padres have a ton of young talent on the roster and minors. 3B was a missing position. Machdo was a great addition. Hopefuly Hosmer will have a bounceback season but this move is mostly for 2020-2022. Those are the target seasons when the Padres will have a bunch of talent in their prime. 

I’m not sure you’re in a position to say I don’t know what I’m talking about since you don’t even know what actually said. I didn’t say he was the 15-19 prospect at his position....I said he is ranked 15-19 at his position in the MLB. There’s a big difference. Saying that the Padres will have possibly the best INF in MLB isn’t going to happen this year when 3 of 4 positions are ranked below 15. That may change in a few years once these propects get some experience at this level, but probably not this year. Of course, there’s always a chance one of them could turn out to be a Donovan Tate or Nick Hundley. 

2 hours ago, Slapdad said:

I’m not sure you’re in a position to say I don’t know what I’m talking about since you don’t even know what actually said. I didn’t say he was the 15-19 prospect at his position....I said he is ranked 15-19 at his position in the MLB. There’s a big difference. Saying that the Padres will have possibly the best INF in MLB isn’t going to happen this year when 3 of 4 positions are ranked below 15. That may change in a few years once these propects get some experience at this level, but probably not this year. Of course, there’s always a chance one of them could turn out to be a Donovan Tate or Nick Hundley. 

We don’t know where Urias and Tatis rank at their positions. 

12 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I agree! I don't think there's any rankings of major league players by position that include minor league players. Above poster was just trying to save his ass on a stupid post.

28 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

There are several sites that have done 2019 position rankings. Just like any preseason ranking, there are some projections and assumptions made, but I'd consider them more believable than one on a sports board by a fan who is saying that the Padres may have the best infield in MLB. There is a baseball graveyard full of bodies of can't miss prospects who never made the impact in the show that was expected of them. I'm not saying they won't be great in time, but the chances of them being that this year aren't great. 

7 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

There are several sites that have done 2019 position rankings. Just like any preseason ranking, there are some projections and assumptions made, but I'd consider them more believable than one on a sports board by a fan who is saying that the Padres may have the best infield in MLB. There is a baseball graveyard full of bodies of can't miss prospects who never made the impact in the show that was expected of them. I'm not saying they won't be great in time, but the chances of them being that this year aren't great. 

I’m not saying they will or won’t be great, just saying i don’t know why anybody would take rankings of minor league players against major league players with anything more then a grain of salt. 

On 2/19/2019 at 10:46 PM, soupslam1 said:

The Dodgers are still a relatively young team except at a few positions. They need another elite bat and another ace pitcher and better bull pen to challenge the Astros, Yankees, or Red Sox who are all loaded. 

They have been burned by late season additions of Darvish and Machado who both faltered on the big stage. 

Well once they get out of the NL West, Dodgers have issues. However I think Rockies and Dodgers are the odds on favorite in the division but again I will also say I think we are going to see the Dodgers step back a little in the next couple of years before pulling it together again.

16 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

They apparently are still in on Harper according to Jon Heyman. At 110 million payroll, it’s still one of the lowest in the league. 

They are but from what I read earlier today they are kind of behind some other teams now. Looks like Phillies are the favorite to land him. Plus Harper wants at least $350 million over similar years.

9 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m not saying they will or won’t be great, just saying i don’t know why anybody would take rankings of minor league players against major league players with anything more then a grain of salt. 

That’s the reason for bringing the ranking up....I’m taking the claim that the Padres will have the best INF in MLB when half of the positions are prospects, no matter how good of prospects they might be, with a grain of salt. That ranking is infinitely more credible than a message board claim. 

11 hours ago, Slapdad said:

As I stated previously this signing is more for 2020 and Beyond. Baseball American scouting report on Fernando tatis jr. States he will probably be an All-Star, Gold Glove winner and a likely candidate for MVP at some point in his career. That is not the scouting report of the number 15 to 19 player at his position.

I don't know of ANY shortstop that the Padres would trade for Tatis straight up.