Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDSUfan

OT: Padres Sign Machado for $300mil-10years

6 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Did NOT see that one coming. Guess I'll have to buy a ticket or two this year.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/19/manny-machado-to-padres-in-surprise-end-to-endless-saga/

They have been talking with him since December and from what i was reading on the dirt sheets San Diego was slowing starting to become the front runner so not really surprised by the signing. However unless they build something up around him, I don't see it helping San Diego a lot. 

40 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I don’t know if the Dodgers win the division again since the Division is tough. It all depends on the new guys coming in and how Seagar recovered from TJ. 

I don't see any way they won't win it. Arizona sold off most of their best players, SF is old and shitty, Colorado lost LeMahieu (among others), and the Padres are still a year or so off of their young talent actually doing anything probably. 

I think its Colorado and LA fighting for the division for this year. I have a feeling the Dodgers best chances to win it all have passed them by and maybe have one more shot before they have to reconfigure things which they have already started doing. 

But Dodgers wanted to get in under the luxury tax and I thought I read they may shed more salary next year but could be confusing them for another team.

But maybe and this is a maybe San Diego can start doing some stuff where they slowly move up in the standings.

Machado is still a young guy and has a lot of solid years ahead of him. He has a great glove which I wasn’t aware of. Two things soured me on him with the Dodgers. He failed in most clutch situations with runners on and the game in the balance. Most of his hits and home runs came when it didn’t matter. He also seemed to have this super star prima donna attitude and pulled some bush league stuff a few times. 

Its pretty clear money is more important to him than winning by signing with the Padres instead of with a contender for a smaller amount. Regardless, the guy is talented and could really blow up for the Padres. They will need to put some good hitters in the slot before and after him, or teams will just pitch around him. 

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I think its Colorado and LA fighting for the division for this year. I have a feeling the Dodgers best chances to win it all have passed them by and maybe have one more shot before they have to reconfigure things which they have already started doing. 

But Dodgers wanted to get in under the luxury tax and I thought I read they may shed more salary next year but could be confusing them for another team.

But maybe and this is a maybe San Diego can start doing some stuff where they slowly move up in the standings.

The Dodgers are still a relatively young team except at a few positions. They need another elite bat and another ace pitcher and better bull pen to challenge the Astros, Yankees, or Red Sox who are all loaded. 

They have been burned by late season additions of Darvish and Machado who both faltered on the big stage. 

This contract is good for only Machado. 10 years $300 mil guarantee they will be paying him long after he's gone and or declining. The Pads have no way of trading him unless they're willing to eat half of his contact. 

With 60-70% of money tied up into one player,  there's no way they can pay the up and comers in a couple of years. So the cycle will continue to repeat itself of the Pads finishing in the bottom of the NL West and trying to rebuild.

17 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I think the Padres would have been better off spending that same $300 million on 3-4 solid but not great free agents.

I don’t. They have a wave of young talent coming that will need positions to be open, better to sign one of the best free agents of the last decade and let the young talent fill in around him. As a Dodger fan this signing makes me more nervous then if they had taken the approach you suggested.

5 minutes ago, rudolro said:

This contract is good for only Machado. 10 years $300 mil guarantee they will be paying him long after he's gone and or declining. The Pads have no way of trading him unless they're willing to eat half of his contact. 

With 60-70% of money tied up into one player,  there's no way they can pay the up and comers in a couple of years. So the cycle will continue to repeat itself of the Pads finishing in the bottom of the NL West and trying to rebuild.

Fantastic signing by the Padres. They have a ton of young cheap talent coming up that will be under club control for the next 7-8 years, they won’t need to “pay up and comers” until Myers and Hosmer’s deals are off the books. Machado would have only 2 years left on his deal; if he doesn’t opt out in 5 years. 

1 hour ago, rudolro said:

He'll be 35 when his contract is done.  Maybe declining but hardly the end of the line.  And we dont know how the contract is structured either., except for the player opt-out option after 2023.

And its a long way from 60-70% of the payroll.  Closer to 28-30%.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Not sure why ANY franchise drops $300m on one player. But at least it shows they are trying. And now officially out of the Harper sweepstakes. 

They apparently are still in on Harper according to Jon Heyman. At 110 million payroll, it’s still one of the lowest in the league. 

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Fantastic signing by the Padres. They have a ton of young cheap talent coming up that will be under club control for the next 7-8 years, they won’t need to “pay up and comers” until Myers and Hosmer’s deals are off the books. Machado would have only 2 years left on his deal; if he doesn’t opt out in 5 years. 

Arbitration can cancel out the younger players contracts if they are as good as advertised. Hell we've seen in the past that contracts don't mean anything in baseball they way players sit out if they feel they're under valued. We can thank Ricky Henderson for this.

3 hours ago, RSF said:

He'll be 35 when his contract is done.  Maybe declining but hardly the end of the line.  And we dont know how the contract is structured either., except for the player opt-out option after 2023.

You and I dont know how long he can play because of injuries. But with certainty he's numbers will start to decline after 30. This isn't a risk I would've taken. 5 years for $150 would be a better return.

Also active payroll right now for the Pads is $43 mil that's not with Machado. Between he and Hosmer the Pads will paying roughly $50 mill on two players.  In 18 total payroll was $79 million.

That doesn't leave much to build on.

MM will be 29 this year

3 hours ago, rudolro said:

Arbitration can cancel out the younger players contracts if they are as good as advertised. Hell we've seen in the past that contracts don't mean anything in baseball they way players sit out if they feel they're under valued. We can thank Ricky Henderson for this.

Arbitration is typically only 3 years (after 3-4 years of making league minimum), and the first year is still well below market value, with the second still a decent amount under market value. Mookie Betts for example put up amazing numbers last year, won the MVP, and shattered the record for second year arbitration eligible players.... but still is making below market value on a one year 20 million dollar deal. So let’s not pretend that this deal will somehow mean they won’t be able to pay their young talent during the arbitration years.

And please name the last MLB player under contract to sit out. 

3 hours ago, rudolro said:

You and I dont know how long he can play because of injuries. But with certainty he's numbers will start to decline after 30. This isn't a risk I would've taken. 5 years for $150 would be a better return.

Also active payroll right now for the Pads is $43 mil that's not with Machado. Between he and Hosmer the Pads will paying roughly $50 mill on two players.  In 18 total payroll was $79 million.

That doesn't leave much to build on.

MM will be 29 this year

Who is MM? I mean because I know you can’t possibly be referring to 26 year old (27 in July) Manny Machado. 

4 hours ago, RSF said:

no MLB team since 2003 that has committed 20 percent of its payroll to one particular player has won a World Series, according toFiveThirtyEight. That said, when it is more difficult to put a team around a star, the team is less likely to enjoy overall success.

27 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Who is MM? I mean because I know you can’t possibly be referring to 26 year old (27 in July) Manny Machado. 

I thought it was Manuel Margot.  But he turns 25 in September.

2 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I thought it was Manuel Margot.  But he turns 25 in September.

Maybe he's talking about Mitch Mustain. He's got to be about 30 now.