Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDSUfan

OT: Padres Sign Machado for $300mil-10years

Did NOT see that one coming. Guess I'll have to buy a ticket or two this year.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/19/manny-machado-to-padres-in-surprise-end-to-endless-saga/

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

16 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

LOL

Clearly this is the move that will put them over the top...of 75 wins. 

Dodger Killers beotch!

LOL

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

18 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

https://nypost.com/2019/02/19/manny-machado-to-padres-in-surprise-end-tturn outo-endless-saga/

Not entirely surprised... the Charger's departure left a giant, gaping hole in the 8th-largest city in the country. Good time for the Padres' front office to make a push and get more BIS. Hell... I've started watching Major League Rugby now just to see a professional franchise representing the SDC.

Spend the money to put a competitive product on the field, and we turn out. I'll be attending a couple more games than I otherwise would have just from this signing as well.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

30 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

LOL

Clearly this is the move that will put them over the top...of 75 wins. 

OTOH, LA's offseason was underwhelming if not poor.  Trading Puig and Kemp to Cincinnati, not landing Realmuto or shoring up the rotation.  Joe Kelly, AJ Pollock and Russell Martin, that's something to be proud of :pullhair:

3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

OTOH, LA's offseason was underwhelming if not poor.  Trading Puig and Kemp to Cincinnati, not landing Realmuto or shoring up the rotation.  Joe Kelly, AJ Pollock and Russell Martin, that's something to be proud of :pullhair:

It's still probably enough to win the division, but I agree, it was a pretty lame offseason for El Lay. 

Seems to be kind of the norm among the big market teams though; the Cubs had a shit offseason too. I saw they're only projected to win 79 games this year by PECOTA. That's crazy to me. 

I honestly wish the A's would sign Dallas Keuchel to a 1-2 year deal at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

It's still probably enough to win the division, but I agree, it was a pretty lame offseason for El Lay. 

Seems to be kind of the norm among the big market teams though; the Cubs had a shit offseason too. I saw they're only projected to win 79 games this year by PECOTA. That's crazy to me. 

I honestly wish the A's would sign Dallas Keuchel to a 1-2 year deal at this point. 

Cubs owner said they don't have anymore money to spend.  Say wha now?

it always seems when a team goes all in on a high priced free agent, it never works out (see Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, etc).  I think the Padres would have been better off spending that same $300 million on 3-4 solid but not great free agents.

I think it was a pretty dumb move. The Padres were trying to rebuild and don't have any other pieces to put around Machado outside of Hosmer and an aging Ian Kinsler, who was horrible last year.

11 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

it always seems when a team goes all in on a high priced free agent, it never works out (see Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, etc).  I think the Padres would have been better off spending that same $300 million on 3-4 solid but not great free agents.

Bryce Harper is going to end up as Kenny Powers for whomever grossly overpays him. 

14 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

I think it was a pretty dumb move. The Padres were trying to rebuild and don't have any other pieces to put around Machado outside of Hosmer and an aging Ian Kinsler, who was horrible last year.

Not so fast there slappy - Best potential infield in baseball. Urias and Tatis are blue chippers considered "can't miss prospects" Hosmer and Machado on the corners with two all star potential catchers. Also, consensus #1 minor league talent (loaded with great young arms) Machado is a proven piece that may just be the missing one for this club. 

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

https://nypost.com/2019/02/19/manny-machado-to-padres-in-surprise-end-to-endless-saga/

Machado's ego and attitude is close to Barry Bonds'.  However, he's no Barry Bonds.  If Machado doesn't produce and improve the lineup like the fans expect him to then he'll be like another Giancarlo Stanton and the Pads will have chemistry issues.  Bet on it.      

39 minutes ago, Willie Cee said:

Not so fast there slappy - Best potential infield in baseball. Urias and Tatis are blue chippers considered "can't miss prospects" Hosmer and Machado on the corners with two all star potential catchers. Also, consensus #1 minor league talent (loaded with great young arms) Machado is a proven piece that may just be the missing one for this club. 

Urias and Tatis have great potential, but at this point, who knows to what extent they're realize that potential as of right now, both are ranked around 15-19 for their positions.  Hosmer is a middle of the pack 1st baseman (at best).....he ranks slightly above average to below average in most of the rankings and has been very inconsistent and his offensive metrics haven't been great the past few years either. That being said, the Padres have a great farm system with a lot of talent in the pipeline and that's another reason I don't like the move. Machado is the last personality I'd build a young club around. That's just me though. 

The Padres NEED attitude. Bad, boring and vanilla with a milquetoast manager and a bloodless front office aren't good enough.  Fans are no longer buying what they were selling. If I had to place a bet, I'd say they've been looking at ticket sales.

Besides, adding 30+ dingers, 90+ RBI and a gold glove at 3rd base cant be all bad.

Sheesh

Hosmer, Urias,Tatis and Machado in the infield sounds pretty good to me!

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

22 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

The Padres NEED attitude. Bad, boring and vanilla with a milquetoast manager and a bloodless front office aren't good enough.  Fans are no longer buying what they were selling. If I had to place a get, I'd say they've beed looking at ticket sales.

Besides, adding 30+ dingers, 90+ RBI and a gold glove at 3rd base cant be all bad.

Sheesh

Hosmer, Urias,Tatis and Machado in the infield sounds pretty good to me!

This! 

5 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Puig and Kemp were salary dumps pure and simple. Kemp is getting older. He had a great first half but slumped badly after the all star game. I hated to see Puig leave. He is a dynamic player, but very up and down. The Dodgers were over loaded with outfielders. Machado didn’t do much for the Dodgers especially in the clutch. Not the best attitude either. I’m glad they didn’t resign him for the mega millions he got from the Padres. Seager will return at short stop. Grandal was a loss. The Dodgers still are far deeper than anyone in their division. 

The Dodgers could use a quality catcher, but have two good prospects almost ready in their farm system. They could also use another ace pitcher to complement their future ace Walker Bueler, if Kershaw continues to fade. I also wonder how many more years Turner has left in him at third base. 

The Dodgers will win the division again. The issue is making the team good enough to win it all. They have dumped enough salary to still be able to deal for a solid player or two. Harper is still available and would be a great pickup.