Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Space Force

It looks like it's going to fall under the Air Force the way the Marines are part of the Navy. Which, if we're going to do this, is the way it makes the most sense.

President Donald Trump will sign a directive on Tuesday to establish a new branch of the military dedicated to space but instead of being a fully independent department it will remain part of the Air Force to assuage concerns in Congress, a senior administration official told POLITICO.

The presidential directive, formally called Space Policy Directive 4, will set the groundwork for a subsequent legislative proposal for Congress, which will have the final say over what has been a signature military objective since Trump announced his intentions nearly a year ago.

The U.S. Space Force would be the first new military branch since the U.S. Air Force was established out of the Army Air Corps in 1947 — and it will be structured similarly to how the Marine Corps falls under the Department of the Navy.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/18/trump-space-force-1182572

I thought that’s how it should’ve been from the start.  I’m glad somebody convinced him to do it this way. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

25 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I thought that’s how it should’ve been from the start.  I’m glad somebody convinced him to do it this way. 

I thought it should have been scaled back even further and just have Air Force Space Command absorb the space divisions of the other branches. There was some legislation a couple of years ago that proposed doing it the way that is being suggested. 

I also think that cyber warfare divisions should originate from any "Space Force" as well. 

41 minutes ago, RamSack said:

Cool, but what's the difference between this and NASA?

Really?  NASA's primary mission is space exploration and research.  Space Force is getting a jump on things such as insuring Freedom of Navigation in space, much like the Navy does with our oceans.  China has already shown multiple times they do not abide by internationally accepted standards of conduct in low earth orbit.  There is BIG money in space.  The first trillionaire will come from mining asteroids, mining the moon for He-3 will insure a nation remains a super power moving towards 2100.  There is  too much value in space to think idealistic values that low earth orbit should not be militarized will hold  true in the decades to come.  

Space Force is a no brainer, YUGE, win.  Smartest thing Trump has done.  It makes so much sense it is no wonder democrats hate it.

Hopefully Dork Fader will hold off on trying to build some giant Derp Ster and instead create a giant broom and dustpan to clean up the amount of crap floating around the planet.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

2 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Hopefully Dork Fader will hold off on trying to build some giant Derp Ster and instead create a giant broom and dustpan to clean up the amount of crap floating around the planet.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll build a rocket to shoot you into the sun. 

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Really?  NASA's primary mission is space exploration and research.  Space Force is getting a jump on things such as insuring Freedom of Navigation in space, much like the Navy does with our oceans.  China has already shown multiple times they do not abide by internationally accepted standards of conduct in low earth orbit.  There is BIG money in space.  The first trillionaire will come from mining asteroids, mining the moon for He-3 will insure a nation remains a super power moving towards 2100.  There is  too much value in space to think idealistic values that low earth orbit should not be militarized will hold  true in the decades to come.  

Space Force is a no brainer, YUGE, win.  Smartest thing Trump has done.  It makes so much sense it is no wonder democrats hate it.

Maybe you misinterpreted my question.  I think it's a cool idea overall, but was questioning what the differences were between the two agencies.  It seems like a natural progression to take NASA and convert it into the Space Force rather than start it from scratch.  It already has the infrastructure and space vessels.  I'm guessing it would now just need military personnel staffing it.  And if we have Space Force, then why do we need NASA?

2 minutes ago, RamSack said:

Maybe you misinterpreted my question.  I think it's a cool idea overall, but was questioning what the differences were between the two agencies.  It seems like a natural progression to take NASA and convert it into the Space Force rather than start it from scratch.  It already has the infrastructure and space vessels.  I'm guessing it would now just need military personnel staffing it.  And if we have Space Force, then why do we need NASA?

It would involve completely changing NASA's mission statement.  Space is big enough and critical enough that there should really be several different agencies.  I would like to see NASA completely stop climate/earth studies and start up a brand spanking new government agency for that as well, but hey we both know Democrats and Republicans only ever give lip service to funding scientific advancement.  The main objectives of NASA and Space Force will be too different, and the two agencies will likely be at odds on more than one occasion in the future.

1 hour ago, RamSack said:

Cool, but what's the difference between this and NASA?

This will get funding

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It would involve completely changing NASA's mission statement.  Space is big enough and critical enough that there should really be several different agencies.  I would like to see NASA completely stop climate/earth studies and start up a brand spanking new government agency for that as well, but hey we both know Democrats and Republicans only ever give lip service to funding scientific advancement.  The main objectives of NASA and Space Force will be too different, and the two agencies will likely be at odds on more than one occasion in the future.

They’ll be sharing technology sitting right next to each other and swapping spit. 

kat.jpg

On 2/19/2019 at 9:53 AM, happycamper said:

This will get funding

What is Space Force's official stance on global warming?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

After thinking about it, I'm not sure I like the idea of having both Space Force and NASA.  Space Force as a separate entity sounds like a waste of tax dollars.  I'd support NASA or the Air Force expanding their scope somewhat to include whatever the mission of Space Force is, but I think it's premature to make it a separate entity at this point.  

The US Air Force vision is as follows:

"The U.S. Air Force is the world’s preeminent force in air, space and cyberspace...."

https://www.airforce.com/mission/vision

49 minutes ago, RamSack said:

After thinking about it, I'm not sure I like the idea of having both Space Force and NASA.  Space Force as a separate entity sounds like a waste of tax dollars.  I'd support NASA or the Air Force expanding their scope somewhat to include whatever the mission of Space Force is, but I think it's premature to make it a separate entity at this point.  

The US Air Force vision is as follows:

"The U.S. Air Force is the world’s preeminent force in air, space and cyberspace...."

https://www.airforce.com/mission/vision

Well they're going to be absorbing space operations from the other branches of the armed forces, so it's not a ton of net new expenditures except for new ventures which we needed to do anyway. Like I said earlier in the thread, I think that cyber warfare should be run out of any Space Force as well. 

I mean, here's the thing. This is about Trump being able to leave his name on something else that will presumably last past his administration. It's an ego thing for him. That being said, this is something that was probably needed, as it does exceed the scope of NASA. The fact that it's going to exist as part of the Air Force like the Marines exist as part of the Navy helps to significantly reduce initial expenditures. I originally thought that it was a bad idea and should simply have just been a part of the Air Force, but whatever, it serves a need and if it takes giving Trump something to brag about, then it's a price that's decent enough for the future benefits. 

On 2/19/2019 at 10:15 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I wouldn't call it a "no brainer". It's not like everything you describe isn't already being addressed. So all this does is take a group like SMC and instead of reporting up the Air Force chain to AFSPC...they would then report to Space Force.... So what is gained? I mean outside of a bunch of new uniforms, coins, patches, and emblems. Yea.