Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Twitter rumor mill ramping up UNLV BB (read at own risk)

11 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Don't you dare put Alford on us.

Muss may leave, but I doubt it's for UCLA, not that he wouldn't take it, I just think they'll aim higher and probably hit one of their targets.  I actually think they'd hire Thad over Muss.

I'm not even sure RP is coaching college ball next season.  He may need another year. He might be in a booth for a season.

Actually I could see Muss leaving for UCLA. But the issue with UCLA, just like it is with UNLV and some other schools, they still have past coaches held high and if they don't get to those expectations than they want them gone.

With regards to the NCAA and the FBI investigation, NCAA has only started getting stuff and got FBI's permission to start investigating late last year. We know that Arizona and Kansas are under NCAA investigation right now however we all know NCAA is going to do everything in their power to protect the big schools so I wouldn't expect anything to come down on the schools unless it is so out of hand they have to do something.

1 hour ago, BleedRed702 said:

Let's just wait and see where the chips fall. Still another month to go. Still have another 3-4 weeks before we even know if Menzies gets fired. Then the hiring process. 

But luls at reno fans coming out and bashing the possibility of hiring a HALL OF FAME coach and elevating unlv to heights they haven't seen in almost a decade. Which in turn would help the conference out. But hey, keep pulling that moral high ground crap. It's college basketball. Who cares. I'd take RP in a heart beat. 

I'm enjoying the back handed comments though.

Who's the Hall of Fame coach?

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

51 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

:lol:

almost 2 decades worth..1 national championship, 4 final fours, several elite 8s, and a sh*t load of sweet 16s, which at times were considered kind of a bust of a season. Like I said, when any team accomplishes something close to that, their fans will get it.

2 decades of lows. Of course we're crazy. who wouldn't be?

But at least we got to experience it.

I guess mostly lows just for my lifetime. And almost everyone else’s on the board. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

55 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

almost 2 decades worth..1 national championship, 4 final fours, several elite 8s, and a sh*t load of sweet 16s, which at times were considered kind of a bust of a season. Like I said, when any team accomplishes something close to that, their fans will get it.

UNLV basketball and Miami football have a lot in common with one another honestly. 

56 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- a BIG part of UNLV's success was its dominance of a pretty poor conference. Coach Tark was a man among boys when UNLV was in the BWAC. It was a pretty similar situation to where Gonzaga is now. Pretty easy to recruit when you can guarantee a player will be Big Dancing every season...

9 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

I guess mostly lows just for my lifetime. And almost everyone else’s on the board. 

Doesn't matter. at least we've been there, and there are several rebel fans here who remember it. It's why we're so 'delusional'..we know how and what can happen. Hopefully you'll get to experience some of the things we have,

2 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- a BIG part of UNLV's success was its dominance of a pretty poor conference. Coach Tark was a man among boys when UNLV was in the BWAC. It was a pretty similar situation to where Gonzaga is now. Pretty easy to recruit when you can guarantee a player will be Big Dancing every season...

But in the end, he still had to win in the tournament. and he always played a tough OOC . But UNLV raised the Big west, there were some tough teams in there, including NMSU and Fresno. Even the mighty Santa Barbara beat him, more than once, lol. The big west back then would roll over what the MW is now. Travel was definitely easier though.

I'm still really hoping for Pitino to UNLV, it seems like a perfect match and would be huge for the conference. If Muss sticks around for a few years, the rivalry would be absolutely epic and relevant nationally. 

Its honestly been a bummer to have our banner year in the same year that the conference was so down. I wish we had games against top-25 UNM/UNLV/SDSU teams.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

When your program has been where ours has been, maybe you'll get it. No one in this conference can relate to what UNLV fans (Between the ages of 33 & up) have experienced, both the highs and the lows, and we don't expect you to. It's just simple fact.

Had to clarify that not everyone who's a UNLV fan has experienced UNLV at the heights - Went with 33 years old and older based on 1991 Final Four season being the last of the "heights" that was 28 years ago this coming March..........and averaging that any real memories are retained starting at about 5 years old bumps the age to 33 for a then 5 year old having a memory of UNLV being in a Final Four 

1991 FF = 33 years old

1990 FF = 34 years old 

1987 FF = 37 years old

1977 FF = 47 years old 

Sadly, I am of the age to easily recall each of the four Final Four appearances :oldman:

Not old enough to recall the 1943 Wyoming Championship tho, where the cut off would be 81 years old this year :yoda:

15 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Had to clarify that not everyone who's a UNLV fan has experienced UNLV at the heights - Went with 33 years old and older based on 1991 Final Four season being the last of the "heights" that was 28 years ago this coming March..........and averaging that any real memories are retained starting at about 5 years old bumps the age to 33 for a then 5 year old having a memory of UNLV being in a Final Four 

1991 FF = 33 years old

1990 FF = 34 years old 

1987 FF = 37 years old

1977 FF = 47 years old 

Sadly, I am of the age to easily recall each of the four Final Four appearances :oldman:

Not old enough to recall the 1943 Wyoming Championship tho, where the cut off would be 81 years old this year :yoda:

:hmmm: Then I see this 

25 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Doesn't matter. at least we've been there, and there are several rebel fans here who remember it. It's why we're so 'delusional'..we know how and what can happen. Hopefully you'll get to experience some of the things we have,

But in the end, he still had to win in the tournament. and he always played a tough OOC . But UNLV raised the Big west, there were some tough teams in there, including NMSU and Fresno. Even the mighty Santa Barbara beat him, more than once, lol. The big west back then would roll over what the MW is now. Travel was definitely easier though.

UNLV aside, the WAC was a tier above the Big West. While UNLV had its occasional regular season loss, they won every single regular season AND tournament title. Tark's Rebels got better and better as they made their locked-in NCAA appearances. They never really faced any serious competition in their conference season. As his tenure went on, Tark started scheduling tougher OOC teams. Had UNLV played in the WAC back then, I don't think they would have had as much exposure to the NCAA Tournament due to facing stiffer competition in the 70's through the 80's. They would have had to play Bear Haskins' UTEP squads twice a year, along with New Mexico, Utah, byu*, and Jim Brandenburg's Cowboys in Laramie once a year. No home court for the Conference Tournament either. It rotated around the conference. I just don't see UNLV's presence in the NCAA's being as ridiculously routine as it became.

4 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

UNLV aside, the WAC was a tier above the Big West. While UNLV had its occasional regular season loss, they won every single regular season AND tournament title. Tark's Rebels got better and better as they made their locked-in NCAA appearances. They never really faced any serious competition in their conference season. As his tenure went on, Tark started scheduling tougher OOC teams. Had UNLV played in the WAC back then, I don't think they would have had as much exposure to the NCAA Tournament due to facing stiffer competition in the 70's through the 80's. They would have had to play Bear Haskins' UTEP squads twice a year, along with New Mexico, Utah, byu*, and Jim Brandenburg's Cowboys in Laramie once a year. No home court for the Conference Tournament either. It rotated around the conference. I just don't see UNLV's presence in the NCAA's being as ridiculously routine as it became.

the WAC could have had a national championship, but y'all were too 'good' to take UNLV. or too afraid, lol. We'd have gotten there in the WAC, too.

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Yes. 

Your homerism is getting the best of you.  UNLV does not have to stoop to that level to get a good coach.  You don't even need a brand name. 

If DRF is as good as you think she is, let her prove it.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

23 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

the WAC could have had a national championship, but y'all were too 'good' to take UNLV. or too afraid, lol. We'd have gotten there in the WAC, too.

UNLV would've made the Tournament in the WAC, but probably not with the routine ease they did so in the BWAC. There would probably have been some holes in the record.

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It wouldn't be worth it.  The guy is toxic. Any AD who signs off on Pitino is risking their career.

Would you risk your career on a scumbag like Pitino?

7 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

"Flamboyant"? Try again. More like unethical, dishonest, possibly criminal.

No one is going to hire Pitino. He's NCAA poison.

Oh please, enough about lessons in morals and ethics when it comes to COLLEGE BASKETBALL. Schools like UNC, UCLA, Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Louisville, etc all rose to the top because they cheated more than anybody to get the top recruits and win. Are people really worried about hiring a sleazy coach when college basketball *is* the sleaziest sport in the world?? LOL Roy Williams and the UNC just got busted for the worst academic fraud in college sports history.....and not even a slap on the wrist from the NCAA.....Kansas, Oregon, Arizona, Louisville and pretty much any other school sponsored by Adidas are all under investigation by the FBI for cheating and it's all business as usual. 

It's our AD's job to sell f*cking tickets. UNLV hired DRF because she was some kind of self styled "marketing guru"..So far her biggest move to get butts in the seats is discounted ticket packages & 'All You Can Eat' Rebel dogs....yeah.. not gonna cut it by a long-shot. 

She would risk her career by not making this move. If she hires Rick Pitino, UNLV fans are electrified and back in the seats overnight.15,500+/game and UNLV retakes the mantle of the 'bad guys' of college basketball and becomes the national powerhouse it was meant to be.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif