Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Twitter rumor mill ramping up UNLV BB (read at own risk)

13 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Good stuff as always Ernie. But the question is why wouldn’t the administration sign off on it? I understand the hesitation on Pitino given he’s not totally cleared by the NCAA but if Thad is willing, why wouldn’t you pull the trigger given the complete apathy among the supporters of the program. 

Nobody cares anymore, and Menzies just isn’t connecting with the fans or in recruiting. 

I thought i read on this site Menzies had a couple solid classes last 2 years compared to MWC schools.  So his recruiting has been bad?  Anyone want to share numbers.  I'm sure some of the UNLV fans have them readily available.

I have a close friend who was attending Ohio St. while Motta was still there.  Based on what he says, Motta had major back problems late in his tenure that could dictate whether or not he would accept an offer.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

37 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I thought i read on this site Menzies had a couple solid classes last 2 years compared to MWC schools.  So his recruiting has been bad?  Anyone want to share numbers.  I'm sure some of the UNLV fans have them readily available.

Depending on what recruiting service/site  you go by. Last year UNLV was 52nd in the nation and behind Reno in the MWC. Year before that was a top ten class although in that class aside from Hardy none are really impact guys.

There’s a lot of projects on the roster, and even Woodbury was out a season for clashing with his coach and came into this season out of shape. Combine that with poor coaching, and you get the results we’re getting. Menzies is extremely fortunate that the MWC is a crap basketball league because otherwise it would be a question if he could win more than 10 games. 

12 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Depending on what recruiting service/site  you go by. Last year UNLV was 52nd in the nation and behind Reno in the MWC. Year before that was a top ten class although in that class aside from Hardy none are really impact guys.

There’s a lot of projects on the roster, and even Woodbury was out a season for clashing with his coach and came into this season out of shape. Combine that with poor coaching, and you get the results we’re getting. Menzies is extremely fortunate that the MWC is a crap basketball league because otherwise it would be a question if he could win more than 10 games.  

Very true. Sad and unfortunate but still very true.  This year if you take Nevada out there is nothing much left.

2 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

I'm not sold on Thad Matta. He retired when he was like 49 years old bitching about the stress/pressure of the job.... He's probably only sniffing around UNLV hoping it would be an easy, no pressure, non-P5 school gig.

He has no idea that Vegas is home to the most insufferable fans in cbb. He would be walking into a buzz saw.

UNLV needs a coach a like Tark; who needed to be dragged away, kicking and streaming to leave the game he loves. Pitino is cut from the same cloth as Tark because he lives and breathes basketball.

This is the exact thing that makes UNLV attractive to the "been there, done that" older coached - It's why Rollie Massimino took the job, so he could get out of the grind that was the Big East & take it easy in the Big West...............Wouldn't put it past Kruger to have used UNLV to resurrect his college career which he did and bailed out to a big $$ P5 job.

Tark was in a similar situation he was in NCAA trouble at LBSU & UNLV had nothing to lose by hiring him............and Tark stayed at UNLV because there were few that would take him on with his history of NCAA battles - Plus he built the culture of the program and it fit the city and fan base so UNLV BB was his baby 

5 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

That is a bit of a long story but the cliff notes version is Steve and Elaine were big supporters of the program in the 80’s, mainstays on Gucci Row, Steve was the pre game speaker before the LMU Elite Eight game.

Steve would even take time to counsel players on business if they had aspirations post playing days such as former Rebel and future business owner Jackie Robinson.  He would also employ former players at his properties.

Problems arose as the 80’s turned into the 90’s (coinciding with the Mirage opening) Steve has this vision of changing Las Vegas from the adult paradise of the 50’s - 80’s to Disney World of the desert, very family friendly.  Between the run ins with the NCAA, the teams graduation rate, the Utah State brawl, etc. none of that was helping with his desired image.

The other problem is Maxson capatilized on this and began basically sucking up to the Wynns, agreeing with the new vision of Las Vegas.  Maxson was able to convince them Jerry’s/the program’s outlaw image needed to go if Steve’s vision was going to come to fruition.  Over time they formed a pact and Steve drew the line in the sand saying right before the 91 Final Four he and Elaine would never donate another $1 to UNLV as long as Jerry was the head coach.

As far as Elaine, no one should discredit any of this.  Never heard of a direct relationship between she and Thad Matta.  It’s possible some intermediaries (Lebron ?) connected the two but I’ve heard other boosters were working oh him.

She is a big basketball fan and has a large circle of friends in the basketball community from Jerry Collangelo, to Lebron James, to Mike Krzyzewski to Rick Pitino to Doc Rivers.  She knows a lot of people and of course has the money.

Again, the question again is will the administration be willing to sign off on any of this?

Also... Steve Wynn was the ultimate megalomaniac, as was Maxson. Neither of them could stand to see Tarkanian getting the love and attention that he got. The jealousy was ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Good stuff as always Ernie. But the question is why wouldn’t the administration sign off on it? I understand the hesitation on Pitino given he’s not totally cleared by the NCAA but if Thad is willing, why wouldn’t you pull the trigger given the complete apathy among the supporters of the program. 

Nobody cares anymore, and Menzies just isn’t connecting with the fans or in recruiting. 

I'm not sure Elaine writes the check for Thad Motta.. I've always heard that Pitino is/was their guy, or no one, and her hesitation might be that she's waiting to see if DRF pulls the trigger and hires Pitino. With that said, maybe other boosters would pony up for Motta. But I'm not sure that I'd be totally thrilled for him to be at UNLV, maybe some of the boosters feel that way as well.

15 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

That was my point.  How does UNLV recruiting under Menzies compare with other MWC teams, the league UNLV is actually in, not P5 teams.  I am guessing 52nd would be near the top.

6 hours ago, alum93 said:

That was my point.  How does UNLV recruiting under Menzies compare with other MWC teams, the league UNLV is actually in, not P5 teams.  I am guessing 52nd would be near the top.

Only behind Reno, but I don’t look at UNLV and compare them to other MW schools. Nobody really has our brand and facilities. It’s been proven that you can get the best players in the country to UNLV.  Don’t need projects from foreign countries that picked up a basketball a couple years ago. 

On 2/19/2019 at 10:32 PM, RebelTexan said:

So listening to Shapiro...Elaine is waiting for a mystery coach to give the ok before she writes the check for Pitino.  Very strange.  Take a listen.

I dont think this is accurate. The money for Pitino is not in doubt, and I highly doubt it comes from Elaine.

Right now there are three main targets for the position. One of them is in town and there have been talks. 

Pretty sure this guy doesnt really knows whats going on and is just throwing stuff out there. No funding is needed for RP, and why would it be? Hed have to know that a decision had already been made to fire Menzies. He clearly doesnt. Only DRF knows and she keeps info close to the vest.