Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Twitter rumor mill ramping up UNLV BB (read at own risk)

This is about Pitino from a former long time booster who says he's left UNLV behind as a booster - He does have connections around the BB world so I'd give him a bit of rope on this but as always take everything with a certain amount of skepticism 

Here he's debating the Vegas Take Guy about Pitino - I can vouch that Lastra has connections & also he has more money than sense sometimes 

2 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

At this point it would be a let-down if Mediocre Marv were retained after all these juicy rumors. Time to earn your keep and make something happen, DRF!!

Almost thinking the same thing - if this rumor mill is ramping up its going to drive the salivation glands for a change 

From what I know, and it's not as much as it was when I used to live in Vegas, it's been Thad Matta since early to mid January. Pitino had a big push and was nearly the front-runner, but after UCLA basically said he's too hot, some of the higher ups became even more hesitant and DRF doesn't want to stake her future on him from what I can tell. I could be totally wrong, but it's what I've heard. 

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Pitino is going to Cronin us. He's going to use a decent UNLV offer as negotiating leverage with another school. 

Could be but if a Lower tier P5 wants to make a run that type of program could easily beat what UNLV could offer up by a decent margin 

Say Oregon St wanted to get back into being a BB name like they were in 1980/81 when they were #1.........they could easily crush UNLV in a bidding war and I'd think Pitino would have more fun taking it to Oregon, Washington, UCLA, USC & Arizona than taking on the MWC 

10 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Pitino is going to Cronin us. He's going to use a decent UNLV offer as negotiating leverage with another school. 

someone I know  said if UNLV didn't hire Pitino, then Reno would when Muss leaves. I think he was only half kidding..

That would totally suck, lol.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

UNLV has additional perks that other schools don't.  Besides, many schools won't want to come close to this potential powder keg.

Pitino and UNLV are the perfect fit. Rogue program and flamboyant coach. And I don’t think anyone would bad mouth UNLV for taking him. Man I would love to see it and the pub it would bring the MWC. The Rebels recruiting would skyrocket. The only downside I see would be Pitino overshadowing the UNLV administration and resulting jealousy. 

The absolute worst fit Pitino and Boise State. 😋

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

someone I know  said if UNLV didn't hire Pitino, then Reno would when Muss leaves. I think he was only half kidding..

That would totally suck, lol.

I said this before but why would Muss leave if they could afford Pitino?

12 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

UNLV has additional perks that other schools don't.  Besides, many schools won't want to come close to this potential powder keg.

UCLA being one of those. Their administration would never take the risk plus they would be roasted. 

40 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

UCLA being one of those. Their administration would never take the risk plus they would be roasted. 

Bingo.  Out west you can include Cal, Stanford and Arizona on that list too.  Zona won't touch Pitino with an FBI cloud hanging over their heads.