Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Wyoming

5 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Are we really comparing Marv to Kruger?

Kruger had a pretty good track record before taking the UNLV job. Been to final four, coaches in the nba, beat quality teams. What’s Marv done? How many top 50 teams has he beaten in his career?  One and that was a depleted Reno team.  

He’s got a mediocre track record and was the last guy anyone wanted coaching UNLV. His recruiting and roster building is way worse than Rice’s. 

Missing Caleb Martin isn't depleted. Also in their building. It's amazing what can happen when you have a player that can go off..

Also people seem to forget that 3rd matchup Menzies were within reach to steal that game against the almighty Reno in the MWCT.

Also saying his recruiting and roster building just shows what you want.

Instant Rice. Instant 5 stars. Instant preseason awards and hype.

Sorry. I'll take Menzies recruiting everyday of the week over Rice's. Only reason it will take him 4 years to turn this ship with this philosophy is because of the lack of time and state of the program when he took it over.

Our entire roster is nearly back the next few years. Gimmie that alllllll damn day.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

Missing Caleb Martin isn't depleted. Also in their building. It's amazing what can happen when you have a player that can go off..

Also people seem to forget that 3rd matchup Menzies were within reach to steal that game against the almighty Reno in the MWCT.

Also saying his recruiting and roster building just shows what you want.

Instant Rice. Instant 5 stars. Instant preseason awards and hype.

Sorry. I'll take Menzies recruiting everyday of the week over Rice's. Only reason it will take him 4 years to turn this ship with this philosophy is because of the lack of time and state of the program when he took it over.

Our entire roster is nearly back the next few years. Gimmie that alllllll damn day.

During Kruger's time at UNLV message board fans (Rebel-net) started bitching about how much he golfed and didn't land 5* studs and were fed up with Kruger.

Also, if Lon Kruger hadn't had son Kevin Kruger transfer in from Arizona State, does Lon ever see that sweet 16 run in the NCAA's ?!?!?! 

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

During Kruger's time at UNLV message board fans (Rebel-net) started bitching about how much he golfed and didn't land 5* studs and were fed up with Kruger.

Also, if Lon Kruger hadn't had son Kevin Kruger transfer in from Arizona State, does Lon ever see that sweet 16 run in the NCAA's ?!?!?! 

No use asking "but, but, but, but" about Kruger making the S16, fact is he did and dam near made the Elite 8.  I was a big Kruger supporter and was nervous when he left that the program would crumble, which it of course did.  I'm of the belief that he'd have elevated the program further had he stayed, with the MWC getting weaker and the opening of Mendenhall, along with NWG arrival.  Oh well we'll never know.

As for the Rebel-Net Rice cultists, it's so ironic they couldn't wait to get rid of Kruger as he didn't live up to their lofty standards, but were perfectly fine with Rice making the program progressively worse every single year.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 minute ago, VincentVegaBond said:

No use asking "but, but, but, but" about Kruger making the S16, fact is he did and dam near made the Elite 8.  I was a big Kruger supporter and was nervous when he left that the program would crumble, which it of course did.  I'm of the belief that he'd have elevated the program further had he stayed, with the MWC getting weaker and the opening of Mendenhall, along with NWG arrival.  Oh well we'll never know.

As for the Rebel-Net Rice cultists, it's so ironic they couldn't wait to get rid of Kruger as he didn't live up to their lofty standards, but were perfectly fine with Rice making the program progressively worse every single year.

Yeah - sort of funny how the RebelNet-Ricers were all clamoring for Kruger to move on and their saviour Rice to be hired, then it happens and Rice starts landing all the talent..........and lost a lot of games & got crap canned mid-season 

Talk about their wet dream being crushed :unsure:

21 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

People were saying this was going to be a 23 plus win team.

Yeah but if you are listening to Rebel Robert you have another problem. He was the 23-25 win guy. PH was 21 - 23 if I remember correctly. A few more people in the 20 win range. I was 17 - 18 which a few weeks ago seemed like a pipe dream. There are 3 real teams in the conference, 2 others that are just failing and the other 6 are mediocre at best. The trend for the conference has been on a downward trajectory for years. This is the real state of what the MWC is at this point and still on a downward spiral. 

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

Yeah but if you are listening to Rebel Robert you have another problem. He was the 23-25 win guy. PH was 21 - 23 if I remember correctly. A few more people in the 20 win range. I was 17 - 18 which a few weeks ago seemed like a pipe dream. There are 3 real teams in the conference, 2 others that are just failing and the other 6 are mediocre at best. The trend for the conference has been on a downward trajectory for years. This is the real state of what the MWC is at this point and still on a downward spiral. 

Well a lot of people didn’t expect the wheels to come off in OOC play, which was a soft scheduling job and the team won 20 games last year. There was a lot of hype again from Grimala and Las Vegas media before the season started. Not a lot of people were saying this team is going to take a step back.  As the season went on, the goal posts kept being moved. “Well let’s see how they do the next few games, that will tell us a lot.” 

The conference being so bad is the one thing that has inflated UNLV’s record. If this conference was ranked 6th-8th best, we would be discussing if Marv could even win 10 games this year. 

2 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Rock bottom now.  1 bid league.  Tough to get worse than it is now. We have 1 team capable of winning a tournament game. 

MOST MW WINS IN FIVE YEARS: UNLV won its ninth MW game of the season, marking its highest win total in league play in five years (10 in 2014).

SEASON SWEEP: The Runnin' Rebels swept the season series against the Cowboys, 2-0. UNLV defeated Wyoming in Las Vegas in this season's earlier meeting on Jan. 5, 68-56.

THE TURNING POINT: After Wyoming used an 8-0 run to cut its deficit to just two (55-53) with 3:34 to play, UNLV went on a 7-0 run to take a 62-53 lead with just over a minute to go. Robotham's 3-pointer from the corner was the dagger.

STREAKING: The win was UNLV's third straight and also snapped a three-game road losing streak at Wyoming. Prior to Tuesday night, the Runnin' Rebels' last win in Laramie occurred in 2013. It was also UNLV's third straight win over the Cowboys overall and fifth in the last six meetings.

MILESTONE: The game marked UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies' 400th as a Division I collegiate head coach. His career record is now 244-156 (.610) over 11-plus seasons.

NOTES: 
- UNLV is 4-1 in its last five games.
- The Runnin' Rebels made all 16 of their free-throw attempts for a season-high 100 percent from the charity stripe.
- UNLV out-rebounded the Cowboys 35-25 for the game, marking the 20th time this season it has recorded more rebounds than its opponent.
- UNLV shot just 4 of 22 on 3-pointers, going 2 of 11 in each half.
- Wyoming was just 7 of 22 on field goals in the first half, including 3 of 14 on 3-pointers, but shot 50 percent from the field in the second half.
- UNLV outscored Wyoming in points in the paint, 34-20, and points off turnovers, 21-14. 
- UNLV led by as many as 13 early in the second half. 
- There were three lead changes and three ties throughout the game.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,065 straight games.

54 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

MOST MW WINS IN FIVE YEARS: UNLV won its ninth MW game of the season, marking its highest win total in league play in five years (10 in 2014).

And if this team was playing in the MW any of those other years, the win total would be a lot less. 

Menzies: "But we got the most MW wins in the last 5 years! Improvement!"

Easy when the conference is hot garbage. 

On 2/20/2019 at 8:56 PM, Rosegreen said:

Well a lot of people didn’t expect the wheels to come off in OOC play, which was a soft scheduling job and the team won 20 games last year. There was a lot of hype again from Grimala and Las Vegas media before the season started. Not a lot of people were saying this team is going to take a step back.  As the season went on, the goal posts kept being moved. “Well let’s see how they do the next few games, that will tell us a lot.” 

The conference being so bad is the one thing that has inflated UNLV’s record. If this conference was ranked 6th-8th best, we would be discussing if Marv could even win 10 games this year. 

Coming close to the end of year 3 of Marv's UNLV career we have learned that his teams have a much bigger propensity to under achieve than to over achieve. That in itself is a symptom of his lack of ability to teach and lead a quality program. We can't even get close to predict how this team will play against near any opponent. They are all over the place for several reasons and those reasons change game to game. There isn't consistency in any aspect of this team's performance. That is probably one of the biggest frustrations for us as fans.  

I saw a well coached team vs wyo and for most of the mwc. I also saw that wyo had by far the most talented player on the floor. What did he have like 25 pts on 14 shots?

The team also did not underachieve last year as UNLV was picked 8th, but finished 7th. UNLV was picked 6th this year and currently sits at 5th. They have to finish two spots lower to underachieve, but if they dont its 2 out of 3 seasons UNLV has actually overachieved, with a solid trajectory of improvement within the mwc.

People on here just make up their own facts and run with it even though its false.

46 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I saw a well coached team vs wyo and for most of the mwc. I also saw that wyo had by far the most talented player on the floor. What did he have like 25 pts on 14 shots?

The team also did not underachieve last year as UNLV was picked 8th, but finished 7th. UNLV was picked 6th this year and currently sits at 5th. They have to finish two spots lower to underachieve, but if they dont its 2 out of 3 seasons UNLV has actually overachieved, with a solid trajectory of improvement within the mwc.

People on here just make up their own facts and run with it even though its false.

The most talented player played gutsy and was injured and I’m not sure it was a great coaching job by Marv because a 6-20 team that came back from a double digit deficit and nearly took over the game if not for turnovers. 

I don’t buy that there’s progress if you look at the whole picture. I don’t think you can just judge a teams trajectory by looking at the standings and compare to preseason projections. The conference is the worst it’s ever been in basketball. UNLV has been blown out by Air Force and against the top 4 in the MWC. 

The combined record of teams we’ve beaten are 52-103.  Those are teams that play .335 winning percentage basketball. Our losses are to teams with a combined 92-39, .687 winning percentage and we’re not even competitive against those teams. 

So 9 wins versus teams that are 52-103 is totally meaningless and not an achievement. I find it hilarious that Menzies/UNLV are running around talking about sweeps and 3 game winning streaks against teams that are 3-22 and 6-20. Those games aren’t even blowouts and instead UNLV is just eking out some wins. 

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

I’m not sure it was a great coaching job by Marv

I definitely did not say or imply Marv did a great coaching job.

There has been literal progress in the fact that the blowout margins have been less and that the conference record is better already. I know its very low hanging fruit and totally not good enough at UNLV, but its more accurate than what youre saying.

Im fine with MM being retained or a coaching change because I expect UNLV to win the mwc or finish top 3 next season no matter who's coach. Im confident a good coach can keep the recruits or fill the spots if they decommit. 

If we keep Marv it’ll be another guaranteed mediocre season and the program will continue have mediocre attendance. There’s a rumor going around that Marv will shake up his staff if he gets another season. 

Between that and pushing for a CBI tournament funding, I would say Marv knows he’s facing the axe. 

7 hours ago, qwelish said:

I saw a well coached team vs wyo and for most of the mwc.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

I definitely did not say or imply Marv did a great coaching job.

confused-person-png-3.png

Rebel blowout losses in conference play.

2018 - 1 loss by 38pts and 1 by 26pts.

2019 - 3 losses by 17pts and 2 losses by 18pts with 4 games remaining.

Yeah I guess you could say that we have gotten better if you want to say that the blowouts are smaller but then again there is 250% more of them...so far. We still go into Reno and we have SDSU in here tomorrow. I don't know maybe I'm just making up those scores. If this is what constitutes improvement then hell, SJSU is killing it.