Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

California’s a mess

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Indeed it does. You might have to drive a ways to get there but California has every major outdoor activity that any other state does and probably more man-made activities than any other state. Yeah it's more expensive to live here than almost anywhere else but you get what you pay for.

Indeed it does, but you have to fight the crowds and high prices to enjoy that entertainment. Watch a Dodger game sometime. The trail of vehicles begin leaving the parking lot at the start of the seventh inning. If you are a Giants fan you need to leave earlier or risk getting jumped by gang bangers. 

17 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Indeed it does, but you have to fight the crowds and high prices to enjoy that entertainment. Watch a Dodger game sometime. The trail of vehicles begin leaving the parking lot at the start of the seventh inning. If you are a Giants fan you need to leave earlier or risk getting jumped by gang bangers. 

My understanding is it's the same way in Seattle, New York, Houston etc. I.e.  all major metropolitan areas.

Also, many Dodger game attendees are probably like me and leave early not because of traffic, because it's a weeknight game; likely to end later than 9p.m.; gotta get ready for work the next day and kids gotta get ready for school the next day.

Thanks for playing.

15 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

My understanding is it's the same way in Seattle, New York, Houston etc. I.e.  all major metropolitan areas.

Also, many Dodger game attendees are probably like me and leave early not because of traffic, because it's a weeknight game; likely to end later than 9p.m.; gotta get ready for work the next day and kids gotta get ready for school the next day.

Thanks for playing.

I’m guessing most people leave early to avoid the traffic getting out of the parking lot. At any rate I grew up in Los Angeles so Im fully aware of the crowded conditions, crime, and expense of living there. Commuting to work downtown for a year sucking everyone’s exhaust fumes in bumper to bumper traffic finally drove me out. I said there has got to be a better way of living than this and I left. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life. The only thing I miss is the beach where I spent most of my summers as a kid. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m guessing most people leave early to avoid the traffic getting out of the parking lot. At any rate I grew up in Los Angeles so Im fully aware of the crowded conditions, crime, and expense of living there. Commuting to work downtown for a year sucking everyone’s exhaust fumes in bumper to bumper traffic finally drove me out. I said there has got to be a better way of living than this and I left. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life. The only thing I miss is the beach where I spent most of my summers as a kid. 

So you grew up in L.A., but didn't attend Dodgers. It's telling.

19 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I attend a dozen or so Dodgers games annually because despite me being a Giants fan, Mrs. SGF loves to be a homer. So I'm well aware of the traffic in and out of the stadium. However, nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head to attend. In contrast, people in Boise have to drive an entire day to take in an MLB game.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest RoscoesDad
12 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I attend a dozen or so Dodgers games annually because despite me being a Giants fan, Mrs. SGF loves to be a homer. So I'm well aware of the traffic in and out of the stadium. However, nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head to attend. In contrast, people in Boise have to drive an entire day to take in an MLB game.

Thank you.  My dad used to piss me off by wanting to leave in the 7th innning to avoid the traffic back in the early 80s.  As long as you know the patterns and routes, it's not a huge issue.  Or just be resourceful like Larry David and pickup a hooker so you can ride in the Carpool Lane. 

PS - have you ever driven in the back way off 110 west/Academy Rd. exit?  You go up thru the residential area of the hill and then BOOM, the entrance to the stadium is right there to the left. 

I saw an old man in a Cardinals jacket, and a pregnant woman with a Cardinals shirt, get pelted by a whole series of flying hot dogs in the All You Can Eat Pavilion at Dodger Stadium once. Hell of a place to watch a game. (Seriously. It's great.) 

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I saw an old man in a Cardinals jacket, and a pregnant woman with a Cardinals shirt, get pelted by a whole series of flying hot dogs in the All You Can Eat Pavilion at Dodger Stadium once. Hell of a place to watch a game. (Seriously. It's great.) 

Sounds like you were in the cheap section (right field pavilion) where things like that happen. It's the norm in that section. Left field pavilion (all you can eat)- where I sit most of the time, I've never seen anything like that. The rowdiest I can remember that section getting is during the Barry Bonds home run record breaking season. Fans hoping to catch one of his home run balls were following the ball's movement in the air and running toward the area of the section they thought it was gonna land at. It was scary and concerning because that area usually has families, but that was many moons ago.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Or turn on the TV and get a better seat for the game without having to deal with the traffic.   The next day they can go hunting, fishing, riding their motorcycle for hundreds of miled across the desert or in the mountains.  All things among many others you can't do in California.

2 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

Thank you.  My dad used to piss me off by wanting to leave in the 7th innning to avoid the traffic back in the early 80s.  As long as you know the patterns and routes, it's not a huge issue.  Or just be resourceful like Larry David and pickup a hooker so you can ride in the Carpool Lane. 

PS - have you ever driven in the back way off 110 west/Academy Rd. exit?  You go up thru the residential area of the hill and then BOOM, the entrance to the stadium is right there to the left. 

I've gone the way you mention and it generally beats Stadium Way. For that matter, so does taking a side street off Sunset half a mile north of Stadium Way which cuts through Griffith Park.

Alternate routes are the key to surviving L.A. traffic although GD phone apps have now disclosed so many of them that they aren't nearly as useful as they once were.

Boom goes the dynamite.

39 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Or turn on the TV and get a better seat for the game without having to deal with the traffic.   The next day they can go hunting, fishing, riding their motorcycle for hundreds of miled across the desert or in the mountains.  All things among many others you can't do in California.

As usual, it's obvious you're not an Angeleno. The Dodgers have a contract with only one local cable network and it's been that way for almost a decade.

We don't get it as DirecTV subscribers but since I'm a Giants fan I really don't care. Besides, with Vin Scully now retired, the announcing is really bad in comparison. The young guy Joe Davis is mediocre but there have literally been columns written about how horrible Charley Steiner can be, although he's the bottom of the barrel on radio because you can't just turn off the volume and do your own pbp. Steiner is so bad he almost makes Chris Berman sound good. Almost.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

So you grew up in L.A., but didn't attend Dodgers. It's telling.

Where did I ever say I never attended a Dodgers game? I used to attend games when it was $2.50 for a reserve seat and $1.50 for general admission at the LA Coliseum. I’ve been to probably 20 or 30 games at Dodger Stadium. And it’s telling what? 

Pro sports are close to last on my list on where I chose to live. I can take my dog for a hike in the foothills about fifteen minutes from my home and see maybe five to ten other people in a two hour hike. Whatever floats your boat. 

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

4 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

Not to mention, you can park at or take public transit to Union Station and take the Dodger Express shuttles to the stadium an back- for free. MTA has a similar set up for Rams games. I take advantage of that.

18 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Where did I ever say I never attended a Dodgers game? I used to attend games when it was $2.50 for a reserve seat and $1.50 for general admission at the LA Coliseum. And it’s telling what? 

Pro sports are close to last on my list on where I chose to live. I can take my dog for a hike in the foothills about fifteen minutes from my home and see maybe five to ten other people in a two hour hike. Whatever floats your boat. 

Have you met @bluerules009? You both hate people. Especially city folk. You two will get along.

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

I don’t hate city folk. Only when there are millions in a small area where you feel like a rat in a cage. Again, whatever floats your boat. 

Hahaha. Just giving you a hard time. There are some smaller cities and towns a stone throw away that I would like to live in here in CA, but wife won't budge. I like to be an area less crowded, but not desolate nor isolated.

States I would consider living in other than the Golden State: Nevada (Northern part. Vegas you're too hot for me, but I like you); the other Pacific states; and CO (not Fort Collins- apparently you have to part of the Superior Lifestyle club). 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I don’t hate city folk. Only when there are millions in a small area where you feel like a rat in a cage. Again, whatever floats your boat. 

Soupslam, I love that you have joined the non sports forum.  We have needed some good new posters, preferably from the right, and you have been just what the doctor ordered.

However, now you're bombing on my home with oversimplified narratives of the Golden State!   I keep my little small sensor Canon Powershot in my car, I cover Bako to Modesto, and Santa Maria to Monterey in my job.  I try to take different routes so I can see different parts of the country.  For instance I'll take the 198 past the 5 to the 101 to get to Salinas, or I'll take the 46 from the 1 over to the 101.  Or, after my kids horseriding lessons got rained out, I took them up to the Lake.  Anyway, the links below are some pictures I've taken the past couple months.  I grant you the politics are all phucked up, but CA is still the greatest place in the world to live.

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Auykgd6B5KHWipw85VtDAd4ZMG5ecg

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Auykgd6B5KHWipwrwEsilSM4OTmJYA

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Auykgd6B5KHWio0V-Ryvg2GHmwjTaw

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Auykgd6B5KHWioUt_48K1iyfowaKxg

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

As usual, it's obvious you're not an Angeleno. The Dodgers have a contract with only one local cable network and it's been that way for almost a decade.

We don't get it as DirecTV subscribers but since I'm a Giants fan I really don't care. Besides, with Vin Scully now retired, the announcing is really bad in comparison. The young guy Joe Davis is mediocre but there have literally been columns written about how horrible Charley Steiner can be, although he's the bottom of the barrel on radio because you can't just turn off the volume and do your own pbp. Steiner is so bad he almost makes Chris Berman sound good. Almost.

No I am certainly not a retard living in Los Angeles.  There isn't enough money in the world to get me to move there.  Yet you can see every game for far cheaper than tickets and gas from the couch of your own home and not only see them but get a better view of the game.

https://www.directvdeals.com/packages/sports-packages/mlb-extra-innings/

38 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Soupslam, I love that you have joined the non sports forum.  We have needed some good new posters, preferably from the right, and you have been just what the doctor ordered.

However, now you're bombing on my home with oversimplified narratives of the Golden State!   I keep my little small sensor Canon Powershot in my car, I cover Bako to Modesto, and Santa Maria to Monterey in my job.  I try to take different routes so I can see different parts of the country.  For instance I'll take the 198 past the 5 to the 101 to get to Salinas, or I'll take the 46 from the 1 over to the 101.  Or, after my kids horseriding lessons got rained out, I took them up to the Lake.  Anyway, the links below are some pictures I've taken the past couple months.  I grant you the politics are all phucked up, but CA is still the greatest place in the world to live.

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Auykgd6B5KHWipw85VtDAd4ZMG5ecg

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Auykgd6B5KHWipwrwEsilSM4OTmJYA

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Auykgd6B5KHWio0V-Ryvg2GHmwjTaw

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Auykgd6B5KHWioUt_48K1iyfowaKxg

Beautiful pictures and kids. Don’t get me wrong. California is one of the most beautiful states in the country with such a varied terrain from the beaches to the mountains to the desert to the redwoods. The coast from Santa Barbara to Monterrey and north of San Francisco is stunning. One thing I think is missing in SoCal anyway is the distinct changes in the seasons. 

Reduce the population by half and have a more balanced government approach to issues and I would have never left. I should say when I left the state government was a lot more balanced than it is now. The Democrats have taken complete control and IMO not for the better. I doubt the State Water Project which I had a very minor part in would ever get built today.