Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

California’s a mess

11 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Who uses a straw after the age of 6?

Who uses a single use plastic bag only once?  They are great for putting your cleaned wild game in or fish which a paper bag is inadequate for.  They are great to using picking out of your garden or off your fruit trees.   They are great for cleaning your cat box.   They are a fairly useful commodity.

I agree with you, they are useful for those that have some sort of environmental ethic, but I have to say I’m glad SD banned them. They used to be everywhere as litter. There was nothing worse than body surfing and seeing one sloshing around in a wave or being on a hike and seeing one that had blown into the upper branches of an oak tree. You just need to keep a dozen reusable bags on hand. I still get the occasional thin plastic bag from restaurant takeaway and save those. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I can’t imagine those ugly ass wind generators contribute much green power. And they aren’t very bird friendly either. 

They are responsible for killing multitudes of birds, bats, insects many of which are endangered species.   Bats are really getting hammered by them because the lights attract bugs and bats know that so it is just a trap for all of them.   

6 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I agree with you, they are useful for those that have some sort of environmental ethic, but I have to say I’m glad SD banned them. They used to be everywhere as litter. There was nothing worse than body surfing and seeing one sloshing around in a wave or being on a hike and seeing one that had blown into the upper branches of an oak tree. You just need to keep a dozen reusable bags on hand. I still get the occasional thin plastic bag from restaurant takeaway and save those. 

I would be quite unhappy if they were banned.  It would be another item I would have to buy and keep in stock.   What i would replace them with would probably be worse than the current bags which degrade really fast in sunlight.    I have a fence around my garden to keep deer and rabbits out and I always stuff a bunch of bags in the fence during the summer.   If those bags stay in the fence and sunlight for a month they disintegrate.

14 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Who uses a straw after the age of 6?

Who uses a single use plastic bag only once?  They are great for putting your cleaned wild game in or fish which a paper bag is inadequate for.  They are great to using picking out of your garden or off your fruit trees.   They are great for cleaning your cat box.   They are a fairly useful commodity.

Exactly! I never use a straw at a restaurant, and the plastic bags are good for everything you stated and much more. They're great for holding greasy parts when you work on your vehicle. I also use them when I roast green chile. They are much better than paper bags.

18 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

It’s also what happens when people don’t want to freeze. 

I don't know man, an awful lot of it is about services.  Look at San Francisco, it's cold as hell there.

Visalia has by far the best homeless services in Tulare County, it has been shocking to me the increase in homeless people in Visalia now and 20 years ago.  Im pretty sure most of that is that it is a magnet because of services.

What to do about homelessness is complicated, and deserves its own threat.  I think we would be surprised how it doesn't fall on partisan lines like most other issues.

16 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Hydro power is the largest environmental disaster of the 19th and 20th centuries.   It is also the largest economic disaster.  Billions of dollars of economic activity were destroyed by the construction of hydro power dams.   Which could have been built another way and not had those problems and could be modified today to allow salmon runs to be repopulated but corrupt politicians have prevented that.   Farmers and electrical companies are an impossible political group to defeat.

We couldn't even get our population to allow competition in Nevada for power.   Nevada power spent more than $70 million dollars telling Nevada voters they didn't want to charge them higher power rates that competition would cause and the moron vote bought it all.

Cant disagree but WW2 would have lasted another 5 yrs without the hydropower projects of the 30s.

23 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Most of those homeless have moved here from Red states. 

I haven't seen a study which would confirm that but I have read columns which quite logically opine support for the idea.

First of all, it's a lot harder to freeze to death as a homeless person in California than is true of most red states. Second, many cities in California, including L.A. where I live, are beginning to emulate Portland and build shelters for them. So doing is quite humanitarian which is a good thing but insofar as word spreads from states east of us that we're doing so, it stimulates more homeless to come here.

That said, regardless of what people like robe might think of our state, I'm proud and pleased to be a lifelong Californian and would never leave. And I'm glad to hear others say they like their state and would never think of moving here because we already have too many people as it is.

Boom goes the dynamite.

The real question is, why do people that don't even live in California constantly start threads about how horrible it is?

Serious question.  Is Rush Limbaugh or Hannity ranting about it every other day to get you guys all riled up?  Is it because it's the poster child for progressivism. Because it's a top dog place? 

7 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I don't know man, an awful lot of it is about services.  Look at San Francisco, it's cold as hell there.

Visalia has by far the best homeless services in Tulare County, it has been shocking to me the increase in homeless people in Visalia now and 20 years ago.  Im pretty sure most of that is that it is a magnet because of services.

What to do about homelessness is complicated, and deserves its own threat.  I think we would be surprised how it doesn't fall on partisan lines like most other issues.

Yeah, Waters and Pelosi are nonpartisan when it comes to stepping on turds on the sidewalks in their districts. 

28 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The real question is, why do people that don't even live in California constantly start threads about how horrible it is?

Serious question.  Is Rush Limbaugh or Hannity ranting about it every other day to get you guys all riled up?  Is it because it's the poster child for progressivism. Because it's a top dog place? 

California has good entertainment value. It’s amusing the dumb ass laws they will pass to fleece their tax payers. 

22 hours ago, toonkee said:

The US landfills the vast majority of its plastics and what we actually put into the recycling bin goes to china, etc.  Then China mismanages it.

Even if we are not the primary source of the problem, why add to it?  I thought you guys were conservatives?  

If you research where the ocean plastic is coming from, the vast majority isn't recycling centers.

It's garbage dumps that during heavy rains lead to rivers, which in turn lead to the ocean.

It's a problem with garbage disposal, and the locals respecting the environment. With so many people in those countries, it's put the garbage in the river and then out of sight/out of mind.

In the five Asian countries listed above, only about 40 percent of garbage is properly collected. Across Asia, trash is often piled up in communal dumps where stray bits are swept up by the wind and cast into the ocean.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-01-13/5-countries-dump-more-plastic-oceans-rest-world-combined

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

California has good entertainment value. 

Indeed it does. You might have to drive a ways to get there but California has every major outdoor activity that any other state does and probably more man-made activities than any other state. Yeah it's more expensive to live here than almost anywhere else but you get what you pay for.

Boom goes the dynamite.

22 hours ago, mugtang said:

I actually agree with @toonkee.  Our plastic consumption, especially things like straws and bags, is a significant issue.   I’ve never understood what’s so controversial about protecting our environment.  We only have 1 planet so we really should try not to destroy it.  

It isn't a significant issue if it is property disposed/buried.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Can I assume you've met Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On 02/16/2019 at 10:55 AM, CV147 said:

Yes but the plastic bags and straws are less than a millionth of a percent of what's going into the ecosystem.

Look to Asia for the solution to the plastic problem. They're dumping millions of tons into the ocean per year. Banning straws is nothing more than a "feel good" token measure.

Screen-Shot-2015-02-13-at-11.24.02-AM.pn

That is the libshit way.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama