Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NVGiant

OT: NFL and Kaepernick settle

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

I guess he should have taken the Forty Niners deal.

Question... Would you leave your job, take a 50% pay cut, or stay put and earn more even if you were fired tomorrow? I already know the answer so this is rhetorical. 

13 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I guess he should have taken the Forty Niners deal.

HB, you should have a clue before you post. There wasn't any new 49er offer,  he was already under contract with San Francisco. It was after he became a free agent at the end of the season, that he allegedly became the target of collusion. 

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

HB, you should have a clue before you post. There wasn't any new 49er offer,  he was already under contract with San Francisco. It was after he became a free agent at the end of the season, that he allegedly became the target of collusion. 

Actually Kaepernick had a player option to play the next year.  He decided not to take it and went into free agency.

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

OK, I admit to not following it that closely.  I'll defer to you guys that did.  I was under the impression that he had a contract with the Niner's which expired and Denver offered him an opportunity (although a lower dollar opportunity) and he declined.  Where am I wrong, seriously.

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

OK, I admit to not following it that closely.  I'll defer to you guys that did.  I was under the impression that he had a contract with the Niner's which expired and Denver offered him an opportunity (although a lower dollar opportunity) and he declined.  Where am I wrong, seriously.

I posted the details. He would have lost money going to Denver. 

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Yes, he rejected a trade which would have paid him considerably less than he was making. That was before he became a free agent.  He had no reason to believe he'd be "blackballed". As I posted, less skilled and accomplished QBs are making about 20 million a year. That's what he should have been making. 

6 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Actually Kaepernick had a player option to play the next year.  He decided not to take it and went into free agency.

I can’t believe this is trotted out still.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj9_bTlgr_gAhUOFTQIHRTZCyoQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Fthe-49ers-wouldve-cut-colin-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out-of-his-contract%2F&psig=AOvVaw2E7oB3xleC7pctyQp3wqIv&ust=1550364184985987

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yes, he rejected a trade which would have paid him considerably less than he was making. That was before he became a free agent.  He had no reason to believe he'd be "blackballed". As I posted, less skilled and accomplished QBs are making about 20 million a year. That's what he should have been making. 

You state "blackballed" as though it were fact.  Nothing I've seen here supports anything more than assumption.

Honestly, from what little I follow the NFL he didn't strike me as a QB that had a whole lot of value left in him.  As far as "blackballed"... if a bunch of teams decide independently that he brings too much baggage without all getting into a smoke filled room and making shady promises to each other, it's hardly "blackballed".  The NFL is not a public enterprise, they are privately held entities.  They can hire and fire whomever they choose, for whatever reason they want.  If any team felt his talents were not enough to overcome the political push back from the fan base, then they were right in not hiring him.  Only Roger Goodell is there to be a social warrior, the team owners are there to make money.  Apparently they didn't feel he was going to make them money.

4 hours ago, UofNPackFan said:

So based on the large settlement,  did the NFL realize it was going to lose this fight and wanted it to end without a black eye?

A blacker eye that some would argue they already got?  Reid just signed a 3yr deal earlier this week, I believe.  He has his dream job and plenty of years left to play.  I get him settling.  Kaepernick is still without a job.  I'm actually kinda surprised Kap settled.  I was hoping this went to court and we got to hear all of it.  I understand why the Reid and the NFL worked a settlement.  Kap not so much. 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

You state "blackballed" as though it were fact.  Nothing I've seen here supports anything more than assumption.

Honestly, from what little I follow the NFL he didn't strike me as a QB that had a whole lot of value left in him.  As far as "blackballed"... if a bunch of teams decide independently that he brings too much baggage without all getting into a smoke filled room and making shady promises to each other, it's hardly "blackballed".  The NFL is not a public enterprise, they are privately held entities.  They can hire and fire whomever they choose, for whatever reason they want.  If any team felt his talents were not enough to overcome the political push back from the fan base, then they were right in not hiring him.  Only Roger Goodell is there to be a social warrior, the team owners are there to make money.  Apparently they didn't feel he was going to make them money.

Collusion is extremely hard to prove and the NFL and NFL teams have vehemently denied collusion against both Reid and Kap.  Settlement was a business decision for the NFL and any teams involved.  Easy for me to understand that.  Reid signed a 3yr deal earlier this week with the Panthers and has many more years to play in the NFL, so I understand his settlement.

Kap settling surprises me.  Unless he has a job lined up that none of us know about yet.

19 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Which is exactly what I said, he had a player option that he didn't take.  Which even if he was cut he would have made more money.

You obviously can always be cut in the NFL, that applies to anyone.

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

Collusion is extremely hard to prove and the NFL and NFL teams have vehemently denied collusion against both Reid and Kap.  Settlement was a business decision for the NFL and any teams involved.  Easy for me to understand that.  Reid signed a 3yr deal earlier this week with the Panthers and has many more years to play in the NFL, so I understand his settlement.

Kap settling surprises me.  Unless he has a job lined up that none of us know about yet.

It doesn't surprise me, Kap had a great case for collusion.   He was more than likely going to win.   He was a top 10 rated QB statistically on the worst team in football.  There was no justification for him not getting even an offer to play second string somewhere when statistically he was in the top 1/2 of starters.

He could line up scout after scout and coach after coach and all of them would have to admit he was a viable starter and better than at least some starters in the league.   Getting no job offers was obviously collusion.

That doesn't take into account what discovery was going to find when he got to subpoena all the NFL e-mails and put all the NFL owners and GM's under oath testifying.

I said from the beginning he would win.   I think the NFL dodged a bullet giving him a $100 million.

52 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

It doesn't surprise me, Kap had a great case for collusion.   He was more than likely going to win.   He was a top 10 rated QB statistically on the worst team in football.  There was no justification for him not getting even an offer to play second string somewhere when statistically he was i the top 1/2 of starters.

He could line up scout after scout and coach after coach and all of them would have to admit he was a viable starter and better than at least some starters in the league.   Getting no job offers was obviously collusion.

That doesn't take into account what discovery was going to find when he got to subpoena all the NFL e-mails and put all the NFL owners and GM's under oath testifying.

I said from the beginning he would win.   I think the NFL dodged a bullet giving him a $100 million.

I think you and I are saying the same thing. You also made a case as to why the NFL settled, which is what I did. Why did Kap settle?

12 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

What part of he was going to be released can’t you comprehend?

What part of he could have took his player option and made more money when released can't you comprehend moron?

It also wasn't a sure thing he would be released if he had been willing to renegotiate and take less money from the 48ers but his agent thought out on the market he could make more somewhere else.   He probably could have in a fair market.

6 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I think you and I are saying the same thing. You also made a case as to why the NFL settled, which is what I did. Why did Kap settle?

They must have offered him a lot of money.  Maybe Kap needs the money.   Maybe he thinks he can do some good with the money.  Plus maybe they offered to do some charity or other work Kap wanted.  Maybe the stress of the situation was rough on him.

No matter a legal case's merits you can always lose.   Saying that I am surprised he settled.