Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

Slightly OT: Wyoming Enrollment declines

Hmm, an opinion written by an individual who owns and manages a half dozen rental properties in Laramie.  Reads like a hit job full of emotion rather than an objective look at the situation.  I'll wait for a more journalistic review of the project.

2 hours ago, RamSack said:

Epic fail.  Much like your football team in general and your basketball team each time they come to Laramie.  Try again........

The University of Wyoming has enrolled the largest freshman class in its history, with 1,859 first-time students this fall semester.

That is a 9.5 percent increase from fall 2017, when the enrollment of 1,696 new freshmen represented a 9.3 percent increase from 2016.

“Two straight years of nearly double-digit growth in freshman recruitment show that the University of Wyoming is no longer one of the nation’s best-kept secrets in the world of higher education,” says Kyle Moore, UW’s associate vice provost for enrollment management. “Very few institutions across the country are seeing increases of this magnitude, and we are delighted that so many students from Wyoming and beyond have chosen to become Cowboys.”

According to census data collected on the 15th day of classes, UW’s overall enrollment also increased for the second straight year. Some 12,450 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled at the university, compared to 12,397 last fall.

http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2018/09/uw-sets-first-time-freshman-enrollment-record.html

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, RamSack said:

Just looked it up and got the following information from the University of Wyoming website:

UW's 2017 Quick Facts

Class Facts

• UW is home to more than 13,500 students from all 50 states & 87 countries
  • Undergraduate on-campus enrollment: 8,650
  • Non-resident enrollment: 31%
  • Minority student enrollment: 10%
  • Average high school GPA for entering freshmen: 3.46
  • Male: 47%, Female: 53%

Yeah, I'm not sure where Glass is getting the whole enrollment is tapering off deal.  10% increases in freshman enrollment for the past couple of years doesn't constitute "tapering off".  I've heard a similar argument from some of our illustrious (term used loosely) state senators as well.  Not sure where they are pulling that information from...

Living in the dorms the first year was expensive, but I would absolutely do it again - and they were in pretty bad shape 15 years ago.  It makes for an easy transition for students.  Kids are getting at least a few good meals per week, and in a place like Albany County that has the highest percentage of food insecure folks in the state, that's a good thing.

One of the main arguments against new dormitories at UW is "let the private sector take care of it".  Have you ever dealt with Real Estate 1, "Mr. Proponent of the Laramie Private Housing Sector?"  Doubtful.

Don't worry, the private housing sector in Laramie will continue to make their nut.

Gannett_2.jpg.404db0bd7deb615b1ec5699694fae130.jpg

52 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Epic fail.  Much like your football team in general and your basketball team each time they come to Laramie.  Try again........

The University of Wyoming has enrolled the largest freshman class in its history, with 1,859 first-time students this fall semester.

That is a 9.5 percent increase from fall 2017, when the enrollment of 1,696 new freshmen represented a 9.3 percent increase from 2016.

“Two straight years of nearly double-digit growth in freshman recruitment show that the University of Wyoming is no longer one of the nation’s best-kept secrets in the world of higher education,” says Kyle Moore, UW’s associate vice provost for enrollment management. “Very few institutions across the country are seeing increases of this magnitude, and we are delighted that so many students from Wyoming and beyond have chosen to become Cowboys.”

According to census data collected on the 15th day of classes, UW’s overall enrollment also increased for the second straight year. Some 12,450 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled at the university, compared to 12,397 last fall.

http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2018/09/uw-sets-first-time-freshman-enrollment-record.html

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Just looked it up and got the following information from the University of Wyoming website:

UW's 2017 Quick Facts

Class Facts

See bold text.

Most of his "facts" are, in fact, not.

There are no "high rise" dorms planned, and there is a plan in place for demolition of the existing dorms, it's simply not a part of the bill. He's conflating the language of the bill with the actual plan for investment and upgrade in new housing. As everyone above has pointed out, UW's enrollment is actually the highest its ever been. That alone pretty much disqualifies Glass as a serious voice. The guy has a reputation as a screwball member of the tin foil hat club.

Way to go RamSack. Great job of getting it wrong...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

25 minutes ago, Bob said:

And I would not think that new dorms would hurt the private rental business. Dorm living is exorbitantly expensive so no matter how nice the new dorms are students will still only live there for their freshman year. The author of the article is wrong, imo, in that regard, but I tend to agree with him elsewhere. They should allow freshmen to live off campus, the private sector can provide housing more efficiently.

He got a lot wrong. The guy's a whacko.

30 minutes ago, wyorev said:

Yeah, I'm not sure where Glass is getting the whole enrollment is tapering off deal.  10% increases in freshman enrollment for the past couple of years doesn't constitute "tapering off".  I've heard a similar argument from some of our illustrious (term used loosely) state senators as well.  Not sure where they are pulling that information from...

Living in the dorms the first year was expensive, but I would absolutely do it again - and they were in pretty bad shape 15 years ago.  It makes for an easy transition for students.  Kids are getting at least a few good meals per week, and in a place like Albany County that has the highest percentage of food insecure folks in the state, that's a good thing.

One of the main arguments against new dormitories at UW is "let the private sector take care of it".  Have you ever dealt with Real Estate 1, "Mr. Proponent of the Laramie Private Housing Sector?"  Doubtful.

Don't worry, the private housing sector in Laramie will continue to make their nut.

That was a very flawed study. The folks who did it went off pure population numbers that included full time students whose answers to "yes and no" questions were not an accurate reflection of their "food security" or their economic status. Basically, full time students who may or may not be employed at all who also are living off of trust funds and money from Mom and Dad while they attend UW were lumped in with the regular population and, by the definitions of the study, fell into "food insecure" when nothing could be further from the truth. I guarantee there's far more "food insecurity" in places like Fremont and Uinta Counties than in Albany County. Student populations simply shouldn't be considered when indexing certain economic factors and categories.

Lol, this line said it all for me:

By severely impacting the tax base that supports vital services in the community, and using citizens’ own tax dollars to compete unfairly with the rental housing in which so many of them have invested, it would destroy their retirement savings and greatly harm the quality of life in Laramie. Residents are particularly concerned that, once the additional housing is constructed, the university (which already ties its housing services to its educational services by requiring freshmen to live in the dorms) will move ahead with proposed plans to require this of sophomores as well, further impacting the local tax base and local providers of rental housing.

Appears to be a disgruntled landlord that doesn't want to compete with high-quality housing options for students at a time when schools all over the country are revitalizing campus amenities in an effort to recruit students and encourage on-campus living. 

4 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

Lol, this line said it all for me:

Appears to be a disgruntled landlord that doesn't want to compete with high-quality housing options for students at a time when schools all over the country are revitalizing campus amenities in an effort to recruit students and encourage on-campus living. 

Read "competition = investment". The guy's a slumlord. The last thing he wants to do is reinvest in his properties.

One problem Wyoming has is very lax laws regarding rental housing. There are no real regulations regarding property conditions, sanitation, safety, etc...

15 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

That was a very flawed study. The folks who did it went off pure population numbers that included full time students whose answers to "yes and no" questions were not an accurate reflection of their "food security" or their economic status. Basically, full time students who may or may not be employed at all who also are living off of trust funds and money from Mom and Dad while they attend UW were lumped in with the regular population and, by the definitions of the study, fell into "food insecure" when nothing could be further from the truth. I guarantee there's far more "food insecurity" in places like Fremont and Uinta Counties than in Albany County. Student populations simply shouldn't be considered when indexing certain economic factors and categories.

I see your point there.  Do you have a link to the study?  I heard about it on the radio, but didn't look into it much further.  I wouldn't doubt Fremont being top in the state for food insecurity.  However, I still think there's merit to Albany County being high on the list as well. 

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Only 8,650 students in Laramie?

Just undergrad.  Graduate and extension students round out the 13,500 or so - some of which are also in Laradise

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

UW's 2017 Quick Facts

Class Facts

Sure...how many of your 53% women have all their teeth?

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, GoState99755 said:

Sure...how many of your 53% women have all their teeth?

Why are you so rude to the University of Wyoming?

I saw that 1/3 of their 8,650 undergrad students are from out of state.   I assume most of those are from Colorado?   Are you saying they are missing teeth too?

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Why are you so rude to the University of Wyoming?

I saw that 1/3 of their 8,650 undergrad students are from out of state.   I assume most of those are from Colorado?   Are you saying they are missing teeth too?

¿Remember what it was like to have a true rival, before the Utes let y'all in the dust?

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

¿Remember what it was like to have a true rival, before the Utes let y'all in the dust?

Are you talking about basketball or football?