Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

I want these guys as my attorneys

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

If a cop stops you and sees a bong through the window in your back seat laying on the floor can they arrest you? Can they search your car if you decline a search? Can they cite you for having drug paraphernalia? 

They don't need a warrant if they have probable cause, and seeing a bong in the back of your car is probable cause. If that's the case, it's better to assume you're going to get arrested and charged, say it's not yours and you'd prefer they don't search your car and then don't answer any questions after that. You're probably going to end up being charged, but they're not going to not charge you with the crime if you are buddies with them and tell them it's yours. But if you don't offer them any additional incriminating evidence, it makes it that much less easy for them to prove their case. 

Drug paraphernalia may be changing in these situations with pot legalization. On one hand, it may be less likely that they'll charge you because who cares if you have a pipe in your car any more. On the other, it might offer cops an incentive to "decide" that you're stoned, arrest you for DUI marijuana based on field sobriety tests which are subjective, take a blood test that shows it's in your system even if you're not stoned and haven't taken in in a couple days. In that situation, I'm guessing a lawyer would tell you to refuse to take a field sobriety test or any other sobriety tests, get arrested, take the blood test at the jail and testify in court that you were not intoxicated and that you took pot days before (this it was still in your system). In that case, there would be little evidence obtained by the cop to show in court that you were actually intoxicated while driving. 

Can any lawyers confirm?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

They don't need a warrant if they have probable cause, and seeing a bong in the back of your car is probable cause. If that's the case, it's better to assume you're going to get arrested and charged, say it's not yours and you'd prefer they don't search your car and then don't answer any questions after that. You're probably going to end up being charged, but they're not going to not charge you with the crime if you are buddies with them and tell them it's yours. But if you don't offer them any additional incriminating evidence, it makes it that much less easy for them to prove their case. 

Drug paraphernalia may be changing in these situations with pot legalization. On one hand, it may be less likely that they'll charge you because who cares if you have a pipe in your car any more. On the other, it might offer cops an incentive to "decide" that you're stoned, arrest you for DUI marijuana based on field sobriety tests which are subjective, take a blood test that shows it's in your system even if you're not stoned and haven't taken in in a couple days. In that situation, I'm guessing a lawyer would tell you to refuse to take a field sobriety test or any other sobriety tests, get arrested, take the blood test at the jail and testify in court that you were not intoxicated and that you took pot days before (this it was still in your system). In that case, there would be little evidence obtained by the cop to show in court that you were actually intoxicated while driving. 

Can any lawyers confirm?

Hellllll no don’t refuse the sobriety test! Quick story about this: One of my good friends was a civil engineer in Williston, ND. He worked there a few years and then landed a job with the city of Oakland, but a week before he was about to move back to California (after he had quit his job already) he gets pulled over while driving drunk and he got mad and refused the breathalyzer. Little did he know, refusing the breathalyzer is essentially an automatic DUI. He had his license suspended or revoked (can’t remember which) for I believe 6 months, couldn’t drink for several months due to having to wear an ankle bracelet that could detect alcohol consumption, and had his job offer from the city of Oakland pulled because he lost his license. 

Anyways I believe part of having a drivers license is you consent to sobriety tests or something like that. He explained it to me at the time but it was a few years ago so I don’t remember the particulars. 

If you're going to drive with drug paraphernalia in your car, or worse, drive drunk, you are definitely a dumbass and likely impervious to any solid advice. You will phuck up when you get caught.  It's the nature of the beast. 

And rightfully so.  There are enough dumbasses in the world.  Reducing the number on the road is a public service.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

14 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

i haven't really had a bad interaction with a cop.  i get the advice, but it doesn't really resonate with me.

Be thankful, you don't want one. I had an asshole pig up in Vermont give me a hard time. I'll never forget it. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

5 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Hellllll no don’t refuse the sobriety test! Quick story about this: One of my good friends was a civil engineer in Williston, ND. He worked there a few years and then landed a job with the city of Oakland, but a week before he was about to move back to California (after he had quit his job already) he gets pulled over while driving drunk and he got mad and refused the breathalyzer. Little did he know, refusing the breathalyzer is essentially an automatic DUI. He had his license suspended or revoked (can’t remember which) for I believe 6 months, couldn’t drink for several months due to having to wear an ankle bracelet that could detect alcohol consumption, and had his job offer from the city of Oakland pulled because he lost his license. 

Anyways I believe part of having a drivers license is you consent to sobriety tests or something like that. He explained it to me at the time but it was a few years ago so I don’t remember the particulars. 

Refusal of the test largely depends on the state. In Ohio it’s an automatic 6 month suspension of your DL but that can be stayed immediately and dropped eventually if they can’t prove the charges. It’s not a criminal offense in of itself there for some reason, probably some state interpretation of self-incrimination. In other states, they’ll take you straight to jail.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

10 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Some of you clearly need a refresher....

I think most cops are good. There are definitely some bad ones. Regardless, I’ve never understood what was to be gained by pissing one off. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

8 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Can any lawyers confirm?

And that's why you politely refuse any requests for a search and are respectful and polite while being firm. If you freak the +++++ out that's probable cause. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

This is very true. White privilege is a thing. 

Weird tho that the two attorneys are white too, eh?

Just imagine the immense privilege it takes to even consider law school and it’s less weird.

Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Just imagine the immense privilege it takes to even consider law school and it’s less weird.

no, not that there are two white dudes who are attorneys.  that's not at all surprising.

that there are two white attorneys who are immensely concerned with the police scrutinizing them and setting them up to fail.  and now that i imagine it, the tone of the message from the white attorneys is how to stay clean while being law abiding because it's the cops who are dirty.  but if it were two black attorneys, the tone would be how to get away with doing unlawful things.  like the guilt would be implicit.

i took a lyft home the other night from the airport and got into a great conversation with the driver, a close to retirement age black man.  we were talking about white privilege, and i told him that it's not like i go to a monthly club and everyone circles around me and gets me job interviews or bank loans or attorneys or lower sentencing for when i break the law, but i don't carry that baggage of assumed failure or lower intelligence or "he's articulate" or anything like that.  i get to be judged on a clean slate, and a lot of black men don't get that.  he may have been angling for a bigger tip, but he turned around and said with some intensity, that that's exactly how it is.

22 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I already give this kind of advice to my two-year-old. If he refuses to incriminate himself when his elementary school teacher asks him if he did something bad, it may be my proudest day. It's going to happen.

Honestly, though, always... ALWAYS stfu when the cops question you and you think you may be suspected of something. It is always worth getting arrested up front because you aren't cooperating, because it will be much harder to prosecute you in the big picture. 

I just saw this. Good advice for your kid, although it’s crazy how different advice about things like this can be depending on race. I was raised by my stepdad (who is black) and his advice to me and my half-brother if/when We got pulled over was simply “10-2, yes sir no sir”. I remember I would occasionally say what about blah blah blah, and he would just respond with “10-2, yes sir no sir”, which would make me laugh. A few of my black friends have said their dads/grandpas would tell them much of the same.

No real point to the story, just an interesting anecdote considering the conversation. 

4 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

This is very true. White privilege is a thing. 

Weird tho that the two attorneys are white too, eh?

OK, so WP is a thing. why wasn't Obama ever touted as the first ever half white president though? #Weird

Confirm everything many have said here: Silence is golden.

When it comes to traffic stops, the only way to avoid d1ckhead cops is DONT GIVE THEM A REASON TO PULL YOU OVER. Stop being an idiot and stop making trouble for yourself. Driving on public roads, driving illegally especially, is in no way a Right. None of you guys are outlaws, so wise the eff up .

9 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I meant refusing a sobriety test (touch your nose, walk straight line) etc. in the event that you believe you are suspected for driving while intoxicated on marijuana. I'm not sure if that's the same as refusing a breathalyzer in these instances (lawyers?), since it's reasonable to suggest that people fail those all the time without being drunk or high for various reasons. I'm commenting here more on how it seems to be more difficult to do this stuff when we're talking about pot, because it stays in your system for a long time even after the effects of the drug have worn off. 

I think any laws that heighten the severity of a crime due to someone refusing to incriminate themselves (like the refusal of a breathalyzer) are unconstitutional. Obviously a lot of states disagree. Though I still think if it's clear you're going to get arrested, refuse to blow. Do you think your friend, who was already drunk, would have had it better if he had blown a .12 or whatever? Probably not. 

that being said, it is worth noting what the local laws are before demanding your rights. That's part of knowing your rights.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

15 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

OK, so WP is a thing. why wasn't Obama ever touted as the first ever half white president though? #Weird

When it comes to traffic stops, the only way to avoid d1ckhead cops is DONT GIVE THEM A REASON TO PULL YOU OVER. Stop being an idiot and stop making trouble for yourself. Driving on public roads, driving illegally especially, is in no way a Right. None of you guys are outlaws, so wise the eff up .

i agree with you in principle, but i have trustworthy friends that are black who have been pulled over for made up reasons.  as for the obama thing...  not sure what you're getting at.

28 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

Historically speaking, if you’re half black society still considers you to be black.  So that’s why Obama isn’t touted as a half white president.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

i agree with you in principle, but i have trustworthy friends that are black who have been pulled over for made up reasons.  as for the obama thing...  not sure what you're getting at.

Congrats on the black friends thing, I'll record ur virtue points next chance I get

I noticed my Democrat friends rly like to make things abt race instead of laws. the funny thing is know a white guy who has had his life turned completely turned upside down by government thugs, when he had done zero wrong. He doesn't even bother telling anyone BC if he hadnt actually witnessed it, he wouldn't believe it himself. Along the way, the noble POC working in the govt system cld not  have given any more or less of a shlt abt the dude than the evil whitey govt. goons did. 

If that's White Privilege, I'd take any other color of disadvantage, TYVM.

That's not the takeaway though. The take away is scumbags are attracted to govt. work. The best course if action, regardless of color, is to be responsible for yourself. If you are, you will eventually have recourse after the encounter. If you're smoking a joint going 100 mph in the carpool lane by yourself, you get what ya got.

45 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

Congrats on the black friends thing, I'll record ur virtue points next chance I get

I noticed my Democrat friends rly like to make things abt race instead of laws. the funny thing is know a white guy who has had his life turned completely turned upside down by government thugs, when he had done zero wrong. He doesn't even bother telling anyone BC if he hadnt actually witnessed it, he wouldn't believe it himself. Along the way, the noble POC working in the govt system cld not  have given any more or less of a shlt abt the dude than the evil whitey govt. goons did. 

If that's White Privilege, I'd take any other color of disadvantage, TYVM.

That's not the takeaway though. The take away is scumbags are attracted to govt. work. The best course if action, regardless of color, is to be responsible for yourself. If you are, you will eventually have recourse after the encounter. If you're smoking a joint going 100 mph in the carpool lane by yourself, you get what ya got.

you're kind of a douche when you talk to people