Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Lawmakers say they have reached an ‘agreement in principle’ to avoid government shutdown

BREAKING: Lawmakers say they have reached an “agreement in principle” to avoid government shutdown.

Top lawmakers say they have reached a deal to fund the government through the fall, a deal that would resolve ongoing disputes over immigration and — if signed into law by President Trump — stave off a partial government shutdown set to start Saturday.

The deal calls for $1.375 billion for border barriers (55 new miles of bollard fencing, with certain restrictions on location). Democrats have dropped their call for a new cap on interior detention beds, and the overall cap on detention beds drops from 49,057 to 40,520.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/top-lawmakers-meet-to-revive-stalled-border-talks-with-shutdown-days-away/2019/02/11/3cd0fc1a-2dff-11e9-813a-0ab2f17e305b_story.html

Well at least there won’t be a shutdown.  I don’t agree with decreasing the number of beds though. I don’t think there should be a cap.  But that’s just me. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Well at least there won’t be a shutdown.  I don’t agree with decreasing the number of beds though. I don’t think there should be a cap.  But that’s just me. 

We don't know that yet... but I do think it's unlikely.

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

We don't know that yet... but I do think it's unlikely.

That’s a good point.   

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Trump is going to take it. He’s already in 2020 mode. Wants to spin this as a win and a first step. The shutdown was damaging to him, he doesn’t want to do it again and risk another big fat L.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.