retrofade

Lawmakers say they have reached an ‘agreement in principle’ to avoid government shutdown

BREAKING: Lawmakers say they have reached an “agreement in principle” to avoid government shutdown.

Top lawmakers say they have reached a deal to fund the government through the fall, a deal that would resolve ongoing disputes over immigration and — if signed into law by President Trump — stave off a partial government shutdown set to start Saturday.

The deal calls for $1.375 billion for border barriers (55 new miles of bollard fencing, with certain restrictions on location). Democrats have dropped their call for a new cap on interior detention beds, and the overall cap on detention beds drops from 49,057 to 40,520.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/top-lawmakers-meet-to-revive-stalled-border-talks-with-shutdown-days-away/2019/02/11/3cd0fc1a-2dff-11e9-813a-0ab2f17e305b_story.html

Now we have to see if the immigration hardliners on the right and the no wall of any kind types on the left will agree to pass this. Past that, will Trump sign it if they pass it.

Well at least there won’t be a shutdown.  I don’t agree with decreasing the number of beds though. I don’t think there should be a cap.  But that’s just me. 

• Like 1

There is no actual immigration reform in the bill so democrats will be fine with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Well at least there won’t be a shutdown.  I don’t agree with decreasing the number of beds though. I don’t think there should be a cap.  But that’s just me. 

We don't know that yet... but I do think it's unlikely.

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

We don't know that yet... but I do think it's unlikely.

That’s a good point.   

President Hannity isn't happy.

Neither is President Ingraham.

55 miles of wall is a win for Trump.  He'll sign it and then ask for another 55 miles in the fall.  

36 minutes ago, easybronc said:

55 miles of wall is a win for Trump.  He'll sign it and then ask for another 55 miles in the fall.  

Win Win 

Trump is going to take it. He’s already in 2020 mode. Wants to spin this as a win and a first step. The shutdown was damaging to him, he doesn’t want to do it again and risk another big fat L.

11 hours ago, easybronc said:

Which is less than the 65 miles he would have gotten in December.

2 hours ago, tspoke said:

Which is less than the 65 miles he would have gotten in December.

Its more than zero which is what the dems have been adamant about.   He can claim victory and move on.