Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Typical Government: Let’s raise the prices of something that actually prevents drunk driving… so we can fund a gov’t program to prevent drunk driving.

http://www.news9.com/story/39917677/bill-adds-fee-to-ride-share-surge-price-to-fund-dui-prevention

A new bill filed in the Oklahoma house would increase prices on rideshare customers to fund new programs to end drinking and driving.

House Bill 1143 is asking ride share companies like Uber or Lyft to create a new charge during “surge pricing” hours.

They must be missing out on revenue from less DUI’s due to Uber and other ride sharing services. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

28 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

At least she's smart enough to admit it was a dumb idea.

And my outrage has been alleviated.  Must find something else to be pissed off about now. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

They did the opposite thing here. On weekends between like 12AM and 3AM or something, Uber Rides are capped at some obscenely low rate for UF students. I had a ride the other night that cost me $1.50. Anyway, it's been a huge success. DUIs are down everywhere around here, and last NYE didn't even have a single one. Making access more affordable for people is the answer to fix the drunk driving problem, not making it more expensive. That's just going to make people prone to already making bad decisions make more bad decisions. 

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

And my outrage has been alleviated.  Must find something else to be pissed off about now. 

You have to credit a politician for actually listening to constituents and admitting to drafting legislation that wasn’t fully thought through. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg